Golden State Warriors unveil new logo + uniform

north dakota

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a quick idea of a uniform I think would've better used both the bridge theme and the team's heritage, as well as keeping the same simplicity, fonts, and color scheme:

warriors.png

who gives a rats ass about Copperplate, so what!

Copperplate's ugly and it also comes with most computers, so it's overused. Generally, in the design community, the use of standard system fonts displays a lack of creativity or taste. They might as well have used Comic Sans, it would've garnered the same reaction.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I can see what your saying but I guess I'm always more concerned with the logos than the wordmark. Was it lazy for them too use such a plain and basic font? Yes but to me it's not the end of the world and should'nt put the new look in the category of fail. Let's see what these bad larry's look like on a player before we report to the Bay Bridge to jump.

But don't you think taking the time to get a custom font designed or at least picking out a nice font that isn't so widely available makes a team/corporation look more professional?

Not necessarily. Just because a typeface might be easily accessible or widely used doesn't make it bad at all. Say a team wanted their wordmark rendered in Myriad Pro. It's a nice font, nothing wrong with it. Really, who would care?

With all the hate being showered on this look, I can only assume no one noticed the burning a$$hair look they've been sporting the past few years?

A bad older look doesn't make a slightly less terrible but still bad newer look any better.

This new look has some good stuff in it, really. The primary I don't care for, but I like the colours and the W/California alternate has potential. The SF alternate gives me hope that they'll re-brand as the San Fransisco Warriors in the near future. I don't even mind the Copperplate, to be honest.

Reminds me way too much of the Pacer's jersey template. And the logo in the center just doesn't work this time around for some reason. Gonna wait till a physical jersey is revealed to see what it really looks like.

I don't know if anyone's considered this yet, but the Warriors list only two team colors: PMS 293 and PMS 123. I agree that the uniform they have on their release is awful, but could it be that the official uniforms will only feature blue and yellow--including a yellow home uniform?

I don't know if anyone's considered this yet, but the Warriors list only two team colors: PMS 293 and PMS 123. I agree that the uniform they have on their release is awful, but could it be that the official uniforms will only feature blue and yellow--including a yellow home uniform?

The NBA won't let any team wear a coloured jersey at home, full-time. The Lakers were grandfathered in when the NBA updated the uni guidelines before the 1986-87 season.

I understand the historical thing about the logo, but it's so blah and nothing about it says Warriors besides the font. Without the font, you would think it was a logo for a bridge, not an NBA basketball team. At least the old one had a depiction of a warrior type thing.

nlog42.jpg

Thanks Dolphins91 for the jersey avatars.

They just took the logo (words and all) and slapped it on the jersey, which we all know, is never a good thing:

gwaumszcfg9oy6m41fr7qq38z.gif4erepkchfs6lqmdzrc7hdedph.gif

Make a proper wordmark for the jersey and position it above the circle/bridge logo and you would be on to something.

Yeah, those were clown suits. There were good progressive uniforms in the '90s. Those weren't them.

warriors.png

The mistake you made here, which is more or less the same mistake in most of your concepts involving sublimated images on the fronts of jerseys, is that you're thinking in terms of front, side, and back portions of a template to fill without seeming to consider the gestalt of it. As such, the bridge on the front abruptly turns into horizontal panels along the sides (which don't quite line up with the similar waistbands they're next to), which themselves terminate just as abruptly into nothing. You can't use Copperplate as a NOB typeface because that lettering needs to be taller than than it is wide, and Copperplate is just the opposite. You can mess with it so that it does fit the proportions of athletic block, but if you do that with a font that's really not meant to do that, it looks really ugly and strange. The numbers on the back aren't on the same angle as the trolley, so that's distracting in addition to having the trolley in the first place, to say nothing of the transportation mixed metaphor which was just as bothersome the first time around as it is now.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived