Where will Lee Land?

ltjets21

If the Bankees end up getting Lee, I think we can all safely agree that the MLB is a joke and it will never be conducted in a fair manner, at least not while Selig is running the show.

How does the Yankees trading top prospects for a Free-Agent-to-Be make the MLB a "joke" and "unfair". Any team could make the same move.

I'm as big a Yankee-hater as there is, but that's just a dumb statement.

Exactly.

The usual beef is that the Yankees just wait and then overpay for free agents, because they can afford more than anybody else. Trading prospects for established talent? That's just standard baseball, a far more level playing field for all clubs.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the Bankees end up getting Lee, I think we can all safely agree that the MLB is a joke and it will never be conducted in a fair manner, at least not while Selig is running the show.

How does the Yankees trading top prospects for a Free-Agent-to-Be make the MLB a "joke" and "unfair". Any team could make the same move.

I'm as big a Yankee-hater as there is, but that's just a dumb statement.

Exactly.

The usual beef is that the Yankees just wait and then overpay for free agents, because they can afford more than anybody else. Trading prospects for established talent? That's just standard baseball, a far more level playing field for all clubs.

Cliff Lee is only owed around 4 M for the rest of the year. Hardly a big money player. Heck - even the Brewers were able to acquire CC. The only difference is that the Yankees can sign these rentals afterwards, while the Brewers of the world can't. I hope Ruben Amaro (or ownership, if they dictated the move to him, which I think may have been the case) is happy with this mess that they've created. It was 9M. It was one year. I'll never ever ever understand essentially cutting him.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'll never ever ever understand essentially cutting him.

No kidding. I'm not even a Phillies fan yet my thought at the time was "what the :censored: are the doing here?" I'm sure there was some sort of reason for it. I seriously doubt it was a good one.

BB52Big.jpg

I'll never ever ever understand essentially cutting him.

No kidding. I'm not even a Phillies fan yet my thought at the time was "what the censored.gif are the doing here?" I'm sure there was some sort of reason for it. I seriously doubt it was a good one.

The reason stated was that they had given up their whole farm system and trading Lee was the only way to replenish it, which is bs considering what they got back. The real reason is that they have a self-imposed budget, despite the fact that they have a license to print money. That, and they were angry at Lee's refusal of their first long-term contract offer, and I think Ruben wanted to prove that he's in charge.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Wonder if this will come together before Lee starts for Seattle against the Yankees tonight.

I'm a Yankee fan, and I can't defend this. They don't need Lee. This is obnoxious.

I Agree 100% and I am a huge Yankee Fan, We didn't need Lee when we won last season. This is overkill.

But I don't mind one bit about getting #28 :D

qvxym9f.png
Many thanks to Discrimihater for making the sig.

Wonder if this will come together before Lee starts for Seattle against the Yankees tonight.

I'm a Yankee fan, and I can't defend this. They don't need Lee. This is obnoxious.

I Agree 100% and I am a huge Yankee Fan, We didn't need Lee when we won last season. This is overkill.

Really guys? No offense but I think you're both being ridiculous here. I admire the fact that you're both trying to be magnanimous and all but there aren't many, if any, pitching staffs that couldn't use Cliff Lee. If Cliff Lee is available and the Yankees can make the deal then the Yankees should make the deal. Embarrassment of riches or not, they're still a baseball team and trading for Cliff Lee is a good move.

BB52Big.jpg

Really guys? No offense but I think you're both being ridiculous here. I admire the fact that you're both trying to be magnanimous and all but there aren't many, if any, pitching staffs that couldn't use Cliff Lee. If Cliff Lee is available and the Yankees can make the deal then the Yankees should make the deal. Embarrassment of riches or not, they're still a baseball team and trading for Cliff Lee is a good move.

I can't speak for Skeltor, but I'm simply trying to rationalize my sudden desire to see the Miami Heat fail with my Yankee fandom. ^_^

I guess my point is, signing Sabathia, Burnett, Teixiera, etc. and trading for A-Rod, as unattainable as those moves were for every other team in baseball, filled major holes on the team. Trading for Lee feels like hoarding to me.

So, the Yankee$ fans aren't particularly happy with this...but the Yankee$ haters don't have a problem with it? Is this bizarro world?

For the record, I am neither a Yankee$ hater, nor miffed at this move. Fat Steinbrenner and Brian Straight Cashman (get it, straight cash, man?), are just trying to do what they think they need to. They're trying to get that ugly ass trophy and the right to pop champagne like Ron Browz and them.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I look at it like this:

If the Yankees don't get him, another contending team in the AL will. I'd rather have Lee pitch for my team than against my team.

My wife is gonna be pissed to see Jesus Montero leave SWB...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

The Rangers will tank during the month of July and Lee will eventually be sent off to somebody else (probably the Yankees) for their playoff push, ala Cliff Floyd's stint with the Expos years ago.

6uXNWAo.png

Watching fat ass Joe Blanton get blown up by the Reds makes me hope Ruben Amaro gets a painful skin disorder that eats away at his face until he eventually has nothing but an exposed skull and dies. I hope his last words are "my bad".

If they don't tender Blanton, they have Lee and Halladay. They chose to tender Blanton and trade Lee for what they tried to pass off as prospects. Now they're going to give up more than what they got for Lee to get some loser with a 4.8 ERA. Ruben Amaro - proving time and time again why despite what they try and tell you, Stanford ain't Ivy League.

Well look at it this way, he may be a Ranger now, but can they re-sign him?

I can see Cliff Lee in New York next year, the one question is will it be in the Bronx or Citi.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

• 2 weeks later...

Well look at it this way, he may be a Ranger now, but can they re-sign him?

I can see Cliff Lee in New York next year, the one question is will it be in the Bronx or Citi.

With the Mets' ineptitude from ownership to the GM's suite to the medical staff on down to the field and the Wilpon's precarious financial situation Lee will not be playing in Queens next year except during subway series weekend. :PB)

As a Met fan let me tell ya the incompetence is also felt at the concession stands were the food servers make McDonald's employees look like MIT scientists.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived