2010 NCAA Football Thread

Gary

It seems like it's never too early for will's crackpot theories, hm?

Now, if you ask me, a 12-0 Boise State team should have a chance to compete for the National Championship. The pieces are there for the Broncos to make a move to the BCS Championship Game. All they need is for Ohio State and/or Alabama to lose along the way... Which can happen. Ohio State has games at Wisconsin and Iowa while Alabama hosts Penn State and Florida along with road games at Arkansas and LSU. You can't tell me that both of these teams are so good that they'll run roughshod over everyone? Everyone has a weak point and sometimes, those weak points will come back to bite you in the ass.

Ohio State's overrated. Alabama's only bringing back tow defensive starters. Florida's lost Tim Tebow. Texas is unsettled at running back. That pretty much leaves Oklahoma and Boise State.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now, if you ask me, a 12-0 Boise State team should have a chance to compete for the National Championship. The pieces are there for the Broncos to make a move to the BCS Championship Game. All they need is for Ohio State and/or Alabama to lose along the way... Which can happen. Ohio State has games at Wisconsin and Iowa while Alabama hosts Penn State and Florida along with road games at Arkansas and LSU. You can't tell me that both of these teams are so good that they'll run roughshod over everyone? Everyone has a weak point and sometimes, those weak points will come back to bite you in the ass.

Ohio State's overrated. Alabama's only bringing back tow defensive starters. Florida's lost Tim Tebow. Texas is unsettled at running back. That pretty much leaves Oklahoma and Boise State.

Oh Panhead and his wonderful predictions. I don't think Ohio State is overrated, which may be weird coming from an SEC fan but I think they have a lot of talent this season.

Now to my team, Alabama's defense is loaded with talent, a lot of guys played last year that aren't normal starters, Nico Johnson (replaced Hightower this year, will replace McClain this year since Hightowers back), Dareus although he could get suspended, Chapman played alot in place of Mt.Cody and now he will start. I'm not worried about Bama's defense, they should get the job done, my only worry for Bama is Special Teams. And although I hate Florida and think they are overrated, just because they lost Tim Tebow doesn't kill their chances. As far as Oklahoma, I doubt they make it, Boise States got a shot but I don't see Oklahoma making it. My surprise team is Virgina Tech, I think they'll beat Boise State.

Check out my new NFL 2016 Series!

Oklahoma didn't exactly have a great season last year either. Oklahoma I think will be 8-4 at best. No way will they be National Championship material. Ohio State I think has a real good chance of making it to the National Championship game if they can make it past Wisconsin and Iowa.

All this (media) love/fawning/c**ks*cking of Boise State is really starting to remind me of Gonzaga from a few years ago in men's basketball...that annoying little gnat that thinks it's a daggone dragonfly (big-time, that is). And I'm waiting for the day some (team) smacks the :censored: out of if with a giant flyswatter so everyone can wean themselves off the Bronco blue concoction they've been leanin' off of for the past couple years.

But that's just my completely irrational take on it.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Oklahoma didn't exactly have a great season last year either. Oklahoma I think will be 8-4 at best. No way will they be National Championship material. Ohio State I think has a real good chance of making it to the National Championship game if they can make it past Wisconsin and Iowa.

Sure they lost three top 5 NFL picks last year, but one of them was a nonfactor last year. The Sooners won't miss a beat with Landry Jones quarterbacking. Instead, they'll improve vastly.

Sure you'll mention OU and Boise State but don't forget about the Broncos toughest opponent in Virginia Tech. I have a feeling that Tyrod Taylor and the boys smack the Broncos around crushing the hearts of the BCS Buster.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Well, Virginia Tech does have a long history of starting the season slow, and Boise State does have a history of getting extra motivated for must-win games (the Fiesta Bowl wins against Oklahoma and TCU spring to mind) as well as the fact that almost their entire first string is returning for this year, so it probably won't be a cakewalk for VT.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Yeah everybody kind of has Boise Stats as a the favorite, but I think (and hope) Virgina Tech will beat Boise State. VaTech has a great offense but Boise State did beat Oregon last season.

Check out my new NFL 2016 Series!

All this (media) love/fawning/c**ks*cking of Boise State is really starting to remind me of Gonzaga from a few years ago in men's basketball...that annoying little gnat that thinks it's a daggone dragonfly (big-time, that is). And I'm waiting for the day some (team) smacks the :censored: out of if with a giant flyswatter so everyone can wean themselves off the Bronco blue concoction they've been leanin' off of for the past couple years.

Georgia did just that a few years ago....beating the crap out of Boise State 48-13. Both teams were ranked in the top-20 when this game was played.

Georgia did just that a few years ago....beating the crap out of Boise State 48-13. Both teams were ranked in the top-20 when this game was played.

That was in the 2005 season after Boise (coached by Dan Hawkins) went 13-1 in 2003 and was unbeaten in 2004 until losing to Louisville in the Liberty Bowl. That was the start of the roll they are now on. Arguably, Fresno State was seen as the better team in that era as they played tougher teams on the road and had capacity to play teams at home. Honestly, Boise cannot do that consistently unless they can actually expand to 45-50K, but that will take years.

I do not want to call this voter's AP ballot crazy, but the initial ballot from Raleigh News & Observer's Joe Giglio may be seen as questionable.

Also, the NCAA released a report on athetic department revenue some points from the report:

*The median institutional allocation for athletics (total expenses minus revenue directly generated by the athletics department) at the FBS level rose from about $8 million in 2007-08 to $10.2 million in 2008-09. That means FBS institutions are committing more dollars to maintain their athletics program.

*The spending gap is most profound within the FBS. The largest generated revenue for any athletics program in 2009 was $138.5 million, compared with the median generated revenue of $32.3 million. Similarly, the largest total expense of $127.7 million dwarfs the median of $45.9 million.

*As for individual sports, between 50 and 60 percent of FBS football and men’s basketball programs have reported surpluses for each of the last six years, a percentage that has been relatively stable. Still, that means almost half of the subdivision’s so-called “revenue sports” don’t cover their own expenses, let alone pay for the non-revenue programs.

*No FCS athletics program (formerly 1-AA) reported net generated revenues in 2009. The median negative net generated revenue (expenses in excess of generated revenues) in 2008 was $7.9 million and $8.7 million in 2009. The net losses have increased steadily over six years.

Your wait won't be a long one. I'm calling my shot. Virginia Tech is going to hand Boise State a serious ass-whipping. And that folks, will be the end of the Boise State fellatio-fest.

BB52Big.jpg

From SEC Gridiron Live:

Miss. State had hoped to wear white uniforms vs Memphis for their 'white-out' of Scott Field. MSU asked Memphis to switch. Memphis said no.

Wow Memphis. :|

Yeah I know, this is a minute detail that all of probably 4 of 5 people on this board care about...but wow Memphis. That's wack. :cry:

Your wait won't be a long one. I'm calling my shot. Virginia Tech is going to hand Boise State a serious ass-whipping. And that folks, will be the end of the Boise State fellatio-fest.

I hope this is the result, I have a feeling Boise State will lose

This is exactly what i thought would happen last year with oregon . obviously i was greatly dissapointed . so im just not sure this year , but again i hope that va. tech hands it to um .

glossysig5.png

From SEC Gridiron Live:

Miss. State had hoped to wear white uniforms vs Memphis for their 'white-out' of Scott Field. MSU asked Memphis to switch. Memphis said no.

Yeah I know, this is a minute detail that all of probably 4 of 5 people on this board care about...but wow Memphis. That's wack. :cry:

Coach Mullen ought to run up the score, just to make a point to Memphis about not screwing with them in the future.

However....it's game week!

From SEC Gridiron Live:

Coach Mullen ought to run up the score, just to make a point to Memphis about not screwing with them in the future.

However....it's game week!

Are they even good enough to think about running up the score?

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I hope this is the result, I have a feeling Boise State will lose

As I reply, Boise is favored by 3. This line is still knowing that Blacksburg is 275 miles away from FedEx Field. Vegas thinks this believes that Boise is better by six and gave VT three more points due to the location. Since the Broncos only lost Kyle Wilson as a starter is a big reason why they are favored.

I hate WAC and MWC teams as a whole, but this line does scare me.

What an opening week of games ABC is giving us for the afternoon

Kentucky @ Louisville

Connecticut @ Michigan

UCLA @ Kansas State

Game that I'm looking most forward to is Oregon State vs. TCU at Jerryworld. But hell it's back baby!!!

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Eh... I'll give you Oregon State vs. TCU on Saturday Night, but the first weekend's biggest game is easily Boise State vs. Virginia Tech at FedEx Field.

Boise wins this game and you can more then likely see Boise do what many thought was impossible: Be in the BCS National Championship Game. Of course, it's only one game, but a win here will help their case.

A Virginia Tech win not only kills the hope Boise would have, it would give the ACC some nice instant crediblity because, let's face it, outside of Miami and Virginia Tech (and maybe Florida State), there isn't really anyone that makes a casual fan go 'Wow! This team is good' from the ACC.

Other key Week 1 Games...

-LSU vs. North Carolina at Atlanta: Yet another game that can also give the ACC some instant cred. Plus, this a chance to see if the Heels are as good as advertised because, I sort of don't buy into the Tar Heel Blue Kool-Aid.

-UConn at Michigan: Michigan has had some big time issues in their season opener the last few years, and this Huskie team might be the best team to come into the Big House in those openers. If UConn wins, then they can really show the nation that ol' Herbie wasn't going out on a limb when he chose them to win the Big East.

-San Jose State at Alabama: OK, some of you might think I'm nuts for choosing this game, but hear me out. Even though it's the opener for the defending National Champs, this game is more or less the start of a major psyche test for San Jose State. Why? After this game comes games at Wisconsin and at Utah along with games against FCS schools Southern Utah and UC Davis. Many (myself included) would ride their ass for having two FCS teams on the schedule, but when you have those kind of road games, anything at home is good.

Archived