2010 NCAA Football Thread

Gary

You know, no FBS school should lose to an FCS school, even if that FBS school is the lowly Temple Owls. They haven't had a winning season since 1990, and now we know why, as they just lost to frickin' Villanova 24-22.

Temple was able to kick a field goal at the end of the game to come out on top 25-24.

And Temple had a winning season last year when they went 9-4 overall, 7-1 in conference, and went to the Eaglebank Bowl (where they lost to UCLA)

So you're wrong on both accounts, will.

What were the odds? :D

Last time I checked, Vegas had it at 1:1.

Last time I checked it was 100:1 odds of Will being correct. :P

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tell you one thing about BYU going Indy, Notre Dame will no longer have any pressure to join a conference.

You're probably right about that. With BYU available why would anyone still want Notre Dame? BYU is the better football program right now :P

Kidding aside, (well the part about no one wanting ND at least) how can anyone involved in the process really believe Notre Dame is better off as an independent these days? They need to join a conference or they're going to become so irrelevant that the one thing that let's them stay independent in football is going to go away quickly. And that would be the money. Maybe I'm wrong but I just don't see NBC continuing to spend all that cash to televise at team that is basically on about the same level as a Michigan State or Clemson etc. Yeah they're "NOTRE DAME" and all but how long can they continue to be "NOTRE DAME" when they're winning 7 games a year?

Just to echo this point, as I mentioned earlier I am about to be a college graduate. I was born in 1988, the same year that Notre Dame last won a national championship in football. Those who are in college now and younger were not yet alive last time Notre Dame won a title. Many older fans may not realize this, but Notre Dame football is not special to my generation.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

Notre Dame does not play a tough enough schedule to even be considered for a national title if they ran the table. I'd rather have an 11-1 Purdue team who actually schedules tough than a 12-0 Notre Dame team, and I think most of the nation would agree with me on that.

LvZYtbZ.png

No, I think most of the nation would rather have a playoff system than have to worry about subjective things like strength of schedule ruining their favorite school's chances.

How about an 11-team playoff? Every conference champion gets in. It's fair - if you don't win your conference, you probably don't deserve a shot at the national title.

LvZYtbZ.png

Notre Dame does not play a tough enough schedule to even be considered for a national title if they ran the table. I'd rather have an 11-1 Purdue team who actually schedules tough than a 12-0 Notre Dame team, and I think most of the nation would agree with me on that.

Hate to break it to you, will...but I'm fairly certain that no one agrees with you on pretty much anything.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

How about an 11-team playoff? Every conference champion gets in. It's fair - if you don't win your conference, you probably don't deserve a shot at the national title.

Personally, I think the top 12 teams in the country according to the polls should be in the playoff. Everybody else plays in bowls. The playoff games could be sponsored, too.

As for not winning your conference, that didn't stop Nebraska from playing Miami in the national title game in 2001. But yet, schools like Boise State that dominate their conference are continually passed over. The BCS is a joke, plain and simple.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Personally, I think the top 12 teams in the country according to the polls should be in the playoff. Everybody else plays in bowls. The playoff games could be sponsored, too.

As for not winning your conference, that didn't stop Nebraska from playing Miami in the national title game in 2001. But yet, schools like Boise State that dominate their conference are continually passed over. The BCS is a joke, plain and simple.

But by opening it up to the polls, you allow for a team who doesn't deserve to be there to get there. It should be decided on the field only - so an 11-team playoff with all eleven conference champions is the fairest solution.

LvZYtbZ.png

Glory glory to old Georgia! Heroes have graced the field before you, men with the hearts, bodies, and minds of which the entire Bulldog Nation can be justifiably proud. A tradition of unbridled excellence, demonstrated by these individuals and many others spans more than a full century.

And now a new breed of Bulldog stands ready to take the field of battle; to assume the reigns of their Georgia forbearers and continue that tradition understanding that there is no tradition more worth of envy, no institution worthy of such loyalty, as the University of Georgia. As we prepare for another meeting between the hedges, let all the Bulldog faithful rally behind the men who now wear the red and black with two words. Two simple words which express the sentiments of the entire bulldog nation:

GO DAWGS!

Willmorris's idea isn't that absurd. I'd support a 12-team playoff with berths going to the 11 conference champions and 1 at-large. Despite Will's protestations to the contrary, an undefeated Notre Dame or BYU deserve to be at least considered for a national championship playoff.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

Willmorris's idea isn't that absurd. I'd support a 12-team playoff with berths going to the 11 conference champions and 1 at-large. Despite Will's protestations to the contrary, an undefeated Notre Dame or BYU deserve to be at least considered for a national championship playoff.

No, you don't need an at-large bid. If Notre Dame or BYU wants to be considered for a national championship, they should join a conference. Maybe Notre Dame can join the Big Ten and they can do a full round robin? No need for a championship game then.

LvZYtbZ.png

BYU might as well be a member of the WAC, considering how many of its remaining members they have committed to playing each season.

Errr.....why do I always get sucked into this?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Because I guess you do that to yourself, rams.

Anyway, the first Saturday of the 2010 season is off and running! Right now...

-How does Florida respond in the first game Post-Tebow?

-How does Florida State respond in the first game Post-Bowden?

-Can Western Michigan do what Central Michigan did last year and win in East Lansing?

But by opening it up to the polls, you allow for a team who doesn't deserve to be there to get there. It should be decided on the field only - so an 11-team playoff with all eleven conference champions is the fairest solution.

I hate to get sucked into an argument with you, but here it goes.

You say it should be decided on the field, but a post ago you said an 11-1 Purdue team would be more deserving of playing for a National Championship than a 12-0 team, nevermind the fact that that scenario would have meant that Notre Dame beat Purdue, on the field, therefore deciding it... on the field. So, my follow up question is: Are you really this damn dumb?

IUe6Hvh.png

I hate to get sucked into an argument with you, but here it goes.

You say it should be decided on the field, but a post ago you said an 11-1 Purdue team would be more deserving of playing for a National Championship than a 12-0 team, nevermind the fact that that scenario would have meant that Notre Dame beat Purdue, on the field, therefore deciding it... on the field. So, my follow up question is: Are you really this damn dumb?

No. He pulls this nonsense every season. Will comes along and makes ridiculous statements. People respond and tell him he's an idiot. It's the same thing every year. He's just trying to see how many people he can get to argue with him.

BB52Big.jpg

Nah, 'Red, this is no act. Dude is absolutely bat:censored: crazy.

Back to the football...Florida looks like ass (and not nice ass either, more like a flat pancake ass on a really ugly chick).

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Archived