2010 NCAA Football Thread

Gary

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two big questions:

1. Why are they being suspended/held back PENDING investigation? Whatever happened to "innocent until proven guilty"?

2. I'm sick of these FBS teams running up the score against these FCS teams. If I were NCAA president, I'd say that whenever a team went up by 30 points against a lower-level squad, that team would get an unsportsmanlike conduct flag, with a 15-yard penalty assessed on the kickoff. For 40 points, it would be 30 yards, etc.

bYhYmxh.png

Two big questions:

1. Why are they being suspended/held back PENDING investigation? Whatever happened to "innocent until proven guilty"?

2. I'm sick of these FBS teams running up the score against these FCS teams. If I were NCAA president, I'd say that whenever a team went up by 30 points against a lower-level squad, that team would get an unsportsmanlike conduct flag, with a 15-yard penalty assessed on the kickoff. For 40 points, it would be 30 yards, etc.

So what happens when a team is down by 30, backed up to their own 2 yd line and fumbles the snap back into the endzone? Is the team that's up big just supposed to stand around and pretend it didn't happen? What happens if a team is down by 30, they're at their own 19, they throw an interception and the DB has nothing stopping him from returning the INT for a TD? Is the DB supposed to drop the ball on purpose? Run out of bounds? Even if he does, is the offense supposed to just continually kneel down so they don't score by accident? You can't ask a team to simply stop playing because they have a big lead.

No offense but it's just a really stupid idea; and that's saying something in this thread.

BB52Big.jpg

Two big questions:

1a. Because if they play and are ruled ineligible after the investigation, we have to pull out the magic retcon button, and schools/athletic departments/NCAA would rather we avoid the whole hassle of the magic retcon button and just play with those who aren't suspect.

1b. If you're under investigation by the NCAA, it's likely you are guilty of whatever infraction you are alleged to have committed. It's like the Feds-they don't indict you unless they have good proof.

2. The I-AA schools are doing this to effectively pay their athletic budget this season. A shellacking is worth that, thank you very much.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Two big questions:

So what happens when a team is down by 30, backed up to their own 2 yd line and fumbles the snap back into the endzone? Is the team that's up big just supposed to stand around and pretend it didn't happen? What happens if a team is down by 30, they're at their own 19, they throw an interception and the DB has nothing stopping him from returning the INT for a TD? Is the DB supposed to drop the ball on purpose? Run out of bounds? Even if he does, is the offense supposed to just continually kneel down so they don't score by accident? You can't ask a team to simply stop playing because they have a big lead.

No offense but it's just a really stupid idea; and that's saying something in this thread.

How would you stop teams from running up the score? (VERY poor sportsmanship) Suppose we scratch the whole "penalizing" thing and instead apply it to front-office strategy? (with the penalties not kicking in until it gets to 40 points)

Example...FSU's beating Samford 59-6...if I were prez, I'd issue an ultimatum to Coach Jimbo: Either apologize for running up the score or get fined $20,000.

bYhYmxh.png

Its not even running up the score. FSU's got their second string in and there past two TDs have been rushing touchdowns.

Play some defense if you don't wanna get scored on. Simple enough.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Exactly. I feel the same way about running up the score in the NFL, too. The only thing wrong with running up the score is that the opposing defense is allowing them to do it.

Have we forgotten the NFL playoff game when the Bills were down to the Oilers by 32 points and came back to win? That's why teams run up the score if they can - if you let your foot off the brake, there's always a chance of that happening.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

...and Notre Dame has already wrecked their chances at a half-decent bowl game. You just can't lose to Purdue, folks.

Too bad Michigan already lost their game earlier this morning, so now when they meet in Week 6, they'll have identical records.

Its not even running up the score. FSU's got their second string in and there past two TDs have been rushing touchdowns.

Play some defense if you don't wanna get scored on. Simple enough.

Exactly. This was the same dumb argument that people had against the Patriots when people were crying about them "running up the score" against the worst of the NFL. Hey, if they don't like it, stop them. Appalachian State & Villanova have basically killed this argument with their past exploits against FBS schools.

Plus, both those teams know that at that point it's all about getting your players some reps, basically a glorified practice.

I can't believe I picked North Carolina to finish sixth in the nation.

They haven't even played a game...

But they've basically lost their best players to suspensions. Marvin Austin could miss the season. Another pick for which I may be kicking myself later: Florida #4. They're not finishing that high if they keep playing offense like they did agianst Miami Ohio, one of the worst teams in the nation.

No big deal, Panny. They were just predictions, man. It wasn't the SAT or anything that's going to matter. When we look back at the end of the season, a lot of us are going to have whiffed on MOST of our picks. I stopped even making picks because I suck at them, irredeemably. Just look at it this way, at least you were willing to put yourself out there. It's a character building experience. :P

Also, you can't really judge most teams on one game, especially the first one of the season.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

No big deal, Panny. They were just predictions, man. It wasn't the SAT or anything that's going to matter. When we look back at the end of the season, a lot of us are going to have whiffed on MOST of our picks. I stopped even making picks because I suck at them, irredeemably. Just look at it this way, at least you were willing to put yourself out there. It's a character building experience. :P

Also, you can't really judge most teams on one game, especially the first one of the season.

A year or two ago we went back and dug up our predictions at the end of a season. If memory serves it was pretty funny reading what we thought at the beginning of the season compared to what we thought at the end.

BB52Big.jpg

Two big questions:

1- You are only innocent until proven guilty in the actual court system. These players are not going to court, they're being investigated by the NCAA. And since membership in the NCAA is voluntary, they can set up their own bylaws and review procedures.

2- This is the worst idea I've ever heard.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

...and Notre Dame has already wrecked their chances at a half-decent bowl game. You just can't lose to Purdue, folks.

What game are you watching?

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

Archived