2010 NCAA Football Thread

Gary

What luster LSU-North Carolina had (LSU's not that good) died when the academics scandal broke the other day and effectively took out North Carolina's entire defense. That is, the defense that was the only thing keeping UNC above water. That is going to be one ugly football game.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eh... I'll give you Oregon State vs. TCU on Saturday Night, but the first weekend's biggest game is easily Boise State vs. Virginia Tech at FedEx Field.

Boise wins this game and you can more then likely see Boise do what many thought was impossible: Be in the BCS National Championship Game. Of course, it's only one game, but a win here will help their case.

A Virginia Tech win not only kills the hope Boise would have, it would give the ACC some nice instant crediblity because, let's face it, outside of Miami and Virginia Tech (and maybe Florida State), there isn't really anyone that makes a casual fan go 'Wow! This team is good' from the ACC.

It's not that simple.

Boise State needs to obviously beat Virginia Tech....then needs VT to run the table. A BSU over an 8-4 Virginia Tech team isn't as impressive as a win over 12-1 Virginia Tech.

From SEC Gridiron Live:

Miss. State had hoped to wear white uniforms vs Memphis for their 'white-out' of Scott Field. MSU asked Memphis to switch. Memphis said no.

Wow Memphis. :|

Yeah I know, this is a minute detail that all of probably 4 of 5 people on this board care about...but wow Memphis. That's wack. :cry:

Coach Mullen ought to run up the score, just to make a point to Memphis about not screwing with them in the future.

However....it's game week!

Are they even good enough to think about running up the score?

In 2 years, maybe. Now? The only team that they will be able to run the score up against is Alcorn State. :lol:

But a convincing victory would be nice.

Eh... I'll give you Oregon State vs. TCU on Saturday Night, but the first weekend's biggest game is easily Boise State vs. Virginia Tech at FedEx Field.

Boise wins this game and you can more then likely see Boise do what many thought was impossible: Be in the BCS National Championship Game. Of course, it's only one game, but a win here will help their case.

A Virginia Tech win not only kills the hope Boise would have, it would give the ACC some nice instant crediblity because, let's face it, outside of Miami and Virginia Tech (and maybe Florida State), there isn't really anyone that makes a casual fan go 'Wow! This team is good' from the ACC.

It's not that simple.

Boise State needs to obviously beat Virginia Tech....then needs VT to run the table. A BSU over an 8-4 Virginia Tech team isn't as impressive as a win over 12-1 Virginia Tech.

Didn't really think about that when I said it, you know. A 12 win Hokie team would make Boise look much better.

I hope The Score picks up the BSU-Tech game on Monday. Unless WWE Raw has priority over one of the biggest games of the season. :rolleyes:

Does anyone know why ABC stopped showing the Labour Day night game? I remember watching Florida State-Miami on ABC back in the day when they kicked the season off against one another, but it could have been before Miami jetted for the ACC.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

All this (media) love/fawning/c**ks*cking of Boise State is really starting to remind me of Gonzaga from a few years ago in men's basketball...that annoying little gnat that thinks it's a daggone dragonfly (big-time, that is). And I'm waiting for the day some (team) smacks the :censored: out of if with a giant flyswatter so everyone can wean themselves off the Bronco blue concoction they've been leanin' off of for the past couple years.

But that's just my completely irrational take on it.

Georgia did just that a few years ago....beating the crap out of Boise State 48-13. Both teams were ranked in the top-20 when this game was played.

Georgia has become certified mid-major killer, with that and the 2008 Sugar Bowl thrashing of Hawaii. Also, wasn't Central Michigan-Georgia in 08 supposed to be a relative challenge with Dan LeFevour and everything? Didn't work out.

Boise State is a myth. Are they a good team? Probably. But the major issue I have with them is that I don't think they can get quality wins. Let's take 2009 as an example, when they "ran the table" and went 14-0.

Oregon, Miami (OH), Fres St, BGreen, UC Davis, Tulsa, Hawaii, SJose St, LaTech, Idaho, Utah St, Nev, NMex St, TCU

Most teams out there have about 3-4 "tough" games on the schedule. And usually a rival, too. Why did Alabama win the NT? Oh yeah, they beat Florida, LSU, Auburn, Virginia Tech and Texas. So if Boise State wants my respect, they'll pony up and start scheduling real competition. Hooray, you beat Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl. Now tell me that you'll beat Texas, Nebraska, and Texas A&M or Texas Tech in the same season and maybe I'll start drinking the Boise State Kool Aid.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

So if Boise State wants my respect, they'll pony up and start scheduling real competition.

Granted there are a lot of issues that need to be considered when schools schedule opponents, but Boise State has said they are willing to play the big boys. It's hard to play the big boys if they don't want to play you.

Not saying that Boise State doesn't share some of the "blame" for their weaker schedule, but some of the power programs are unwilling to play them.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

Plus they can't make their conference better. We'll see how this translates to the Mountain West. I think Boise will be missing BYU in the MWC for sure.

----------

In other news, Arizona State has named Steven Threet as their starting QB. Remember him? Michigan?

It's interesting. Not saying that it'll help ASU all that much. But if the defense can play at or higher than the level they did last year and Threet can give the offense any sort of jolt, maybe the Devils get to 6 wins. Maybe. Or maybe they'll get their 4 wins from Portland State, NAU, Wazzu, and UCLA and just go home. Maybe. Maybe not. But hey I can hope I guess.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

So if Boise State wants my respect, they'll pony up and start scheduling real competition.

Granted there are a lot of issues that need to be considered when schools schedule opponents, but Boise State has said they are willing to play the big boys. It's hard to play the big boys if they don't want to play you.

Not saying that Boise State doesn't share some of the "blame" for their weaker schedule, but some of the power programs are unwilling to play them.

Considering the fact that most of the "big boys" make out their schedules years in advance, saying the big schools are "dodging" Boise State seems like a bit of an overstatement.

BB52Big.jpg

The Big Ten Network has some Live Event scheduled for 7 Eastern tonight (Wednesday), and a lot of people are speculating that it could be the announcement of division. Obviously just a rumor at this point, but I thought it was worth noting.

Here is a link. Doesn't mention the Slot scheduled on the Big Ten Network, but it mentions an announcement could be made:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-spt-0901-big-ten-football--20100831,0,5362382.story

MegatronSig2.jpg

The Big Ten Network has some Live Event scheduled for 7 Eastern tonight (Wednesday), and a lot of people are speculating that it could be the announcement of division. Obviously just a rumor at this point, but I thought it was worth noting.

Here is a link. Doesn't mention the Slot scheduled on the Big Ten Network, but it mentions an announcement could be made:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-spt-0901-big-ten-football--20100831,0,5362382.story

I hope it is that both Griffith and Gerry DiNardo will never be allowed to wear shorts with very old sneakers while on camera/directors chair again.

I hope The Score picks up the BSU-Tech game on Monday. Unless WWE Raw has priority over one of the biggest games of the season. :rolleyes:

Does anyone know why ABC stopped showing the Labour Day night game? I remember watching Florida State-Miami on ABC back in the day when they kicked the season off against one another, but it could have been before Miami jetted for the ACC.

No FSU/Miami has been a scheduling issue due to other opponents as of late. Last year, the game at Florida State on Labor Day was is a top 5 viewed regular season game in ESPN history with 5.82 million household impressions, but it too time to get it back. ABC had the UM-FSU game on Labor Day 2006 and the 2005 game.. aka the Jenn Sterger game.

In the history of ESPN, the University of Miami has been involved four of the top six most viewed games on cable.

Considering the fact that most of the "big boys" make out their schedules years in advance, saying the big schools are "dodging" Boise State seems like a bit of an overstatement.

Maybe a bit of an overstatement, but I still think true to some degree. I remember an article from 2008 when people were complaining about Hawaii's strength of schedule during their run. The artcile stated they had both Michigan and Michigan State lined up but both schools backed out last minute. Michigan, interestingly enough, replaced Hawaii with Appalachian State. I realize that setting a schedule in real life is harder than in NCAA '11, but Boise State can run with the "big dogs" and the big dogs know it and some don't want to take the risk.

Would Boise State run the table if their non-conference schedule included 2 or 3 power programs? Maybe, maybe not.

Edit: I realize Hawaii is not Boise State, but I think there are similar factors between the two.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

I don't know, but I feel Boise State was being really hypocritical when after all the complaining they did about the big schools not wanting to play them, just to drop Idaho on their schedule due to "harsh remarks in their student newspaper". You argue about the schools in the BCS conferences not wanting to play you, but you end up dropping an in-state rival who's of a weaker quality anyway.

On a flip note, boy am I happy Syracuse finally has a non-conference schedule which, Washington and BC in November aside, we can win some games to build momentum heading into Big East play :P

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

I hope it is that both Griffith and Gerry DiNardo will never be allowed to wear shorts with very old sneakers while on camera/directors chair again.

Why should we care about/value DiNardo's input or opinions anyway. Shouldn't you display competence as a coach first?

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Current Rumored Big Ten Divisions. Division names mine.

Big Ten North-ish

Michigan

Michigan State

Minnesota

Northwestern

Iowa

Nebraska

Big Ten South-ish

Illinois

Indiana

Purdue

Ohio State

Penn State

Wisconsin

Today, we are all otaku.

I realize that schools make their schedules several years in advance, but typically you can predict which ones will be good in 4-5 years. There's not a defined "line," but most any football fan will tell you there's a difference between Nebraska and Maryland. Or between USC and Vanderbilt. C'mon, Boise, it's not that hard to predict which teams will at least be halfway good in a few seasons.

A 13-0 Boise State is not nearly as good as a 1-2 loss team from the Big12, BigTen or SEC. Remember that before the bowl games, all Boise did last year was beat Oregon. Hell, Appalachain State beat Michigan a couple years ago, maybe they should move up to D1 and play in the Fiesta Bowl, right?

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Archived