2010 NCAA Football Thread

Gary

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to Georgia State's inaugural game tonight, and they beat the crap out of mighty Shorter College 41-7. For a team that's never played a game before, they looked rather composed.

Doubt they'll give Alabama much of a challenge come November, however...

So after a 34 point win, when should we expect the first football player arrest in school history?

I went to Georgia State's inaugural game tonight, and they beat the crap out of mighty Shorter College 41-7. For a team that's never played a game before, they looked rather composed.

I've been tracking the ESPN series on the building of that program and I have to say I'm a fan. It looks like they're doing everything the right way and it's pretty cool to see a program built from the ground up like that. Congrats to the Panthers on their first win, especially in those classy uniforms. I think I'd prefer if they put the panther head on the helmet instead of the GSU monogram, but it's hard to argue with the rest of their look.

How was the attendance at the game, Hedley? It's tough to tell from the photo slideshow on the GSU website.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

My prediction goes as this...Both Boise State and TCU will lose this weekend

You forgot UConn.

I know you guys are going to say it's just an Ohio State fan just talking s**t but....I wouldn't be tempting fate and counting that game as a win until the clock hits zero Saturday.

No, not at all. This is far from an easy win, in fact it is pretty close to a toss-up to most people, including many Michigan fans. UConn is a pretty good team, and how Michigan does against them should tell a lot about how the season is going to go.

MegatronSig2.jpg

I've been tracking the ESPN series on the building of that program and I have to say I'm a fan. It looks like they're doing everything the right way and it's pretty cool to see a program built from the ground up like that. Congrats to the Panthers on their first win, especially in those classy uniforms. I think I'd prefer if they put the panther head on the helmet instead of the GSU monogram, but it's hard to argue with the rest of their look.

How was the attendance at the game, Hedley? It's tough to tell from the photo slideshow on the GSU website.

They were saying on espn this morning they drew something like 30,000 for that game (and made sure to mention it outdrew the Braves game).

On another note...so Pitt goes down to Utah in OT. Okay...that game probably could have tilted either way. Having said that, I do applaud Pitt for having the balls to go out there to open the season, knowing full well the implications it could have on its BCS aspirations if they lost. Speaking of Pitt, they get Miami right after Ohio State does...

...which leads me to the U. Check out this sequence of events: after pummeling the Rattlers, they then go into The Horseshoe, then into the big Mustard Bowl (Heinz Field), then into Death Valley (Clemson--which is by no means a gimme), then as soon as they get back to Coral Gables, my Seminoles pay them a visit. That's three straight road games against some stiff competition, then a big-time rivalry game right after that. If that ain't a tough opening stretch, I don't know what is, and how they fare in that stretch will be very telling. Like I said, I know I'm supposed to hate Miami and all, but I can't do it. I got my eyes on them this season.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

My prediction goes as this...Both Boise State and TCU will lose this weekend

You forgot UConn.

I know you guys are going to say it's just an Ohio State fan just talking s**t but....I wouldn't be tempting fate and counting that game as a win until the clock hits zero Saturday.

Whyyy oh whyyy must you have Joe Beninanti announce Pitt-Utah, Versus?

Damn. The best game of the night and I missed it because I didn't even think to check what Versus was showing. I always forget that Versus even carries college football. Had I known that game was on I would have watched it and put OSU - Marshall on the "secondary" feed (my little TV.) It's not like the Buckeyes game was a real thriller or anything. At least they didn't play like they did against Navy last season and damn near blow it. Good start for Ohio State but we'll see what they're really made of when Miami comes in next week.

Can't wait to see Boise get their asses handed to them Monday night.

Finally, how good could Pitt be if they had an actual competent head coach?

And this is why BYU is going independent.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I tell you one thing about BYU going Indy, Notre Dame will no longer have any pressure to join a conference.

Unless Comcast refuses to re-up. Remember their corporate motto-"When in doubt, do evil."

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Ex-Oregon QB Jeremiah Masoli and Ole Miss won their appeal to the NCAA for Masoli's eligibility.

Masoli will be allowed to play this season and be the quarterback for the Rebels.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Ex-Oregon QB Jeremiah Masoli and Ole Miss won their appeal to the NCAA for Masoli's eligibility.

Masoli will be allowed to play this season and be the quarterback for the Rebels.

Michael Scott will explain how I feel about this...

nd3lop.jpg

I tell you one thing about BYU going Indy, Notre Dame will no longer have any pressure to join a conference.

I just loved the TCU head coach's comments about BYU going Independent when he said, "What has Independent done for Notre Dame lately?" Um, coach, the fact of the matter is, it's not being Independent that's hurt Notre Dame, it's their coaching and recruiting that has hurt Notre Dame. Stick to coaching your own team and worry about Oregon State and not BYU going Independent.

So after a 34 point win, when should we expect the first football player arrest in school history?

Not until they join the SEC.

Though, UGA's filling every state school's "players arrested" quota, it seems. Georgia should likely be the runaway winner of the Fulmer Cup this year!

The announced attendance was over 30,000. For those that are familiar with the Georgia Dome, the entire lower bowl was filled, and the end zone sections of the middle deck were about half-filled. (No one was in the upper bowl, nor were there any fans seated along the sidelines of the middle deck.) Great crowd for a Thursday night game. Most of the fans left before the game ended, and the students didn't stand the entire game....clearly, GSU fans have a lot to learn.

If I ever get around to it, I'll post the pictures and videos I took from the game. I recorded the opening kickoff, as well as GSU's first-ever touchdown.

By the way, if anyone here has a subscription to ESPN the Magazine and has the recent issue where there's a baby on the cover (signifying GSU's program starting from infancy) and is willing to part with it, PM me and I'll give it a home!

You know, no FBS school should lose to an FCS school, even if that FBS school is the lowly Temple Owls. They haven't had a winning season since 1990, and now we know why, as they just lost to frickin' Villanova 24-22.

Temple was able to kick a field goal at the end of the game to come out on top 25-24.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

You know, no FBS school should lose to an FCS school, even if that FBS school is the lowly Temple Owls. They haven't had a winning season since 1990, and now we know why, as they just lost to frickin' Villanova 24-22.

Temple was able to kick a field goal at the end of the game to come out on top 25-24.

And Temple had a winning season last year when they went 9-4 overall, 7-1 in conference, and went to the Eaglebank Bowl (where they lost to UCLA)

So you're wrong on both accounts, will.

You're probably right about that. With BYU available why would anyone still want Notre Dame? BYU is the better football program right now :P

Kidding aside, (well the part about no one wanting ND at least) how can anyone involved in the process really believe Notre Dame is better off as an independent these days? They need to join a conference or they're going to become so irrelevant that the one thing that let's them stay independent in football is going to go away quickly. And that would be the money. Maybe I'm wrong but I just don't see NBC continuing to spend all that cash to televise at team that is basically on about the same level as a Michigan State or Clemson etc. Yeah they're "NOTRE DAME" and all but how long can they continue to be "NOTRE DAME" when they're winning 7 games a year?

BB52Big.jpg

And Temple had a winning season last year when they went 9-4 overall, 7-1 in conference, and went to the Eaglebank Bowl (where they lost to UCLA)

What were the odds? :D

BB52Big.jpg

What were the odds? :D

Last time I checked, Vegas had it at 1:1.

Archived