2010 NCAA Football Thread

Gary

Well, just my early thoughts and projections on my alma maters and the SEC....

My alma maters, LSU and Georgia Tech... LSU will once again be "blah", another typical 8-4 or 7-5 season; no chance of winning the SEC West, probably won't play in a New Year's Day Bowl. They need an o-line, and lost some key players this past year but don't seem to have the back-ups or recruits needed to make anyone excited... the Labor Day weekend opener against UNC at Atlanta will be tougher than people think.... Methinks that Les Miles has been running on magic and miracles a lot lately, and some of his luck is running out.

In the SEC, it may be wishful thinking, but I expect Alabama will fall back to earth. The SEC in general will be a mess this year, with Florida losing Tebow and almost Urban Meyer, Fla and South Carolina being investigated, Tennessee losing their coach to USC, Vandy's coach quitting a few months before the season starts, etc. Maybe this will be the year for two "new" teams in the SEC championship-- Ole Miss is well coached with Houston Nutt despite the loss of (overrated) QB Jevan Snead and RB Dexter McCluster, and maybe the Ol' Ball coach will fnally get the Gamecocks there... I doubt that an SEC team will get even a whiff of the BCS game....

Right now my going out on a limb national title prediction.

#1 Alabama vs. #2 Virginia Tech

I see Ohio State faltering somewhere along the line, quite possibly in there trip to Iowa City. Also making them lose there Rose Bowl opportunity.

The biggest thing which works against Alabama is their schedule. Their last six SEC opponents will have a bye week to prepare for them with a Thursday nighter with Georgia State between Miss. State and Auburn in November.

Their first two SEC opponents (@ Arkansas and Florida) do not have a bye the week before.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, the schedule is what works against Alabama. Not the fact they are replacing virtually all of their defense from last season. :rolleyes:

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Lane Kiffin hires away Tennessee Titans coach, irks Jeff Fisher

Next up for Lane Kiffin: burning the state of Tennessee to the ground, border to border.

But wait, there's more! The Titans have filed a lawsuit against Lane Kiffin and USC for stealing Pola away.

"USC and Kiffin maliciously intended to -- and did -- induce Pola to breach the Pola contract," the lawsuit charges.

and we all ROTFL at the thought of Lane Kiffin back in Tennessee...in court.

Since posting what I did, I got an even better line from a Chattanooga Times-Free Press article, Kiffin Must Be Stopped: "The only act of indecency left for Lane Kiffin is to desecrate Graceland."

dzh6fs12jk4gddgfd123hlxft.gif

I'm just sayin...I know Lane Kiffin left Tennessee for USC, but it ain't like he was sitting there plotting to do that as soon as the season ended. (I didn't get that vibe, anyway.) People forget that Lane was USC's like fourth or fifth choice. People are also quick to forget he dove headfirst into his job at Tennessee and actually put genuine effort into his job there. Guy looked forward to embracing the traditions at Tennesse, for instance the Vol walk, singing "Rocky Top" all night long after the Volunteers beat Florida last year (of course, that didn't happen so it wasn't a blast). They did gave the Gators a game, though, and came within one blocked kick of beating the eventual national champions. Had the Vols pulled off either of those wins, I wonder just how different things might be. Okay, so the dude left after one year to take back over the program at his alma mater, after said alma mater had burned though options A through C or D. Plenty of other coaches have left other jobs to return to their alma mater. It's just easy to dogpile on this man since he'd already blazed a trail of ruffled feathers up to that point.

Then comes Jeff Fisher and this lawsuit. Sure, Lane might have recruited Pola to join his USC staff, but a/ Pola is a grown man and b/ ultimately, Pola chose to leave the Titans--why wasn't any of the ire fired at Lane fired at Pola? I'm just sayin...

/playing devil's advocate here, looking at this from the other side

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

You raise some very good points, Buc, but... It's all about the fact that Kiffin is so notorious for bending the rules that it's easy to just dogpile on the guy.

I'm just sayin...I know Lane Kiffin left Tennessee for USC, but it ain't like he was sitting there plotting to do that as soon as the season ended. (I didn't get that vibe, anyway.) People forget that Lane was USC's like fourth or fifth choice. People are also quick to forget he dove headfirst into his job at Tennessee and actually put genuine effort into his job there. Guy looked forward to embracing the traditions at Tennessee, for instance the Vol walk, singing "Rocky Top" all night long after the Volunteers beat Florida last year (of course, that didn't happen so it wasn't a blast).

I've got to stop you there. Buc, IIRC you're a Vol fan (call me crazy if I'm wrong). After reading this article, it will be quite clear that Kiffin wanted nothing to do with Tennessee's traditions. He wanted to make it the "USC of the south" and nothing more. Reading that when he was questioned about his ways he told a senior player "Whatever Tennessee's been doing isn't working anymore, so we're coming up with something new. Get used to it" is just mind boggling. That article came to my attention on Facebook in January, and I along with everyone I know that has read it was absolutely sickened. I was actually somewhat understanding of his move when it happened, saying some of the exact same things you posted. That was all out the window after reading that article. I really wish that it had appeared on ESPN.com or somewhere other than Fanhouse, and that everyone could read it.

dzh6fs12jk4gddgfd123hlxft.gif

I'm just sayin...I know Lane Kiffin left Tennessee for USC, but it ain't like he was sitting there plotting to do that as soon as the season ended. (I didn't get that vibe, anyway.) People forget that Lane was USC's like fourth or fifth choice. People are also quick to forget he dove headfirst into his job at Tennessee and actually put genuine effort into his job there. Guy looked forward to embracing the traditions at Tennessee, for instance the Vol walk, singing "Rocky Top" all night long after the Volunteers beat Florida last year (of course, that didn't happen so it wasn't a blast).

I've got to stop you there. Buc, IIRC you're a Vol fan (call me crazy if I'm wrong). After reading this article, it will be quite clear that Kiffin wanted nothing to do with Tennessee's traditions. He wanted to make it the "USC of the south" and nothing more. Reading that when he was questioned about his ways he told a senior player "Whatever Tennessee's been doing isn't working anymore, so we're coming up with something new. Get used to it" is just mind boggling. That article came to my attention on Facebook in January, and I along with everyone I know that has read it was absolutely sickened. I was actually somewhat understanding of his move when it happened, saying some of the exact same things you posted. That was all out the window after reading that article. I really wish that it had appeared on ESPN.com or somewhere other than Fanhouse, and that everyone would read it.

Bucfan is the Vols fan.

Buc is a FSU fan.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I've got a prediction: a Pac-10 QB will win the Heisman.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

That Pac-10 QB who wins the Heisman will be Washington's QB... Jake Locker.

BTW, Kevin: You might want to consider changing that sig to 'The Pac-12: 10 World class universities... And Arizona State... And Waz-Spew'

Sorry to interrupt the speculation and complaining about the BCS, but let's all take a moment to remember why college football is by far the best sport around:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPZ5n7hOuXg

If you can watch that and not get chills, something is wrong with you. Tim Tebow acting like a girl almost ruined it, though... almost.

It's not often that I agree with a Michigan fan.

BB52Big.jpg

The biggest thing which works against Alabama is their schedule. Their last six SEC opponents will have a bye week to prepare for them with a Thursday nighter with Georgia State between Miss. State and Auburn in November.

Their first two SEC opponents (@ Arkansas and Florida) do not have a bye the week before.

I'm not worried about the schedule its always hard, but like rams80 said the defense is full of new starters and not to mention we have 1 guy suspended and possibly 2 (if Dareus gets in trouble). Another thing I think Alabama has to worry about is the Special Teams, Freshman Kicker, Punter, and New Kick Returners. I hope they can repeat and go undefeated more then anything but it'll be a real challenge this season.

Check out my new NFL 2016 Series!

BTW, Kevin: You might want to consider changing that sig to 'The Pac-12: 10 World class universities... And Arizona State... And Waz-Spew'

Not even Wazzu is as bad as ASU. Wazzu isn't actively sacrificing student body quality in the name of having the largest student body of any university in the world.

And uh... no, Locker won't win the Heisman since Arizona's defense will run wild on him. The refs won't hand you a victory like they did last year. No Inaccurate Deflection will save you.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Sorry to interrupt the speculation and complaining about the BCS, but let's all take a moment to remember why college football is by far the best sport around:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPZ5n7hOuXg

If you can watch that and not get chills, something is wrong with you. Tim Tebow acting like a girl almost ruined it, though... almost.

Great video. I disagree there, though. Even when I hated Tebow I thought that was a great moment.

IUe6Hvh.png

Not even Wazzu is as bad as ASU. Wazzu isn't actively sacrificing student body quality in the name of having the largest student body of any university in the world.

And uh... no, Locker won't win the Heisman since Arizona's defense will run wild on him. The refs won't hand you a victory like they did last year. No Inaccurate Deflection will save you.

Ahem... Before you start talking smack about the Huskies, I suggest you start worrying about Iowa's defense because outside of those cupcake games with Toledo and The Citadel, the Hawkeyes is the Wildcats' toughest OoC foe.

Oh and yeah. Locker is going to win the Heisman... and if not, he'll at least get U-Dub to a bowl game. I don't care if it's the freaking Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl, I just want to see him reach a stinking bowl game!

Well the PAC 10 is miles ahead of the Big East (football schools) when it comes to academics. Let's see, there's Cuse and Pitt as the only tier 1 schools on US News' rankings, two mediocre state schools (Rutgers may be one of the last tier 1s, not sure), then four academically crap universities.

Oh wait, we may be moving that number up to five

http://twitter.com/KySportsRadio

Put this in the "rumor to file away in case it happens category." Usually reliable source tells me Memphis will join the Big East on Tuesday

Wait, Memphis? This is the Big East's answer to realignment all while making the basketball conference into a 17 team affair?

facepalm.jpg

Oh ACC invite where are you?

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

Jeremiah Masoli transferring to Ole Miss

CNNSI has a story on him from last week. I am not really sure what to believe. He's obviously made some blunders. He also graduated in three years. It's kinda weird, he gets suspended for the upcoming year, then kicked off, landing him into a situation where he can play this year. I guess if you've graduated you can transfer to a grad program not offered at your university without sitting out.

I hope he keeps himself on track.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived