What number would you wear?

KJHillis

We all have thought about what number we would be if we did this or that, so share what number you would wear if you were a college or pro athlete and why

For me, 9 has always been my favorite number and I would probably wear that if it was still available. Tons of great athletes have worn this number or a form of it(Gretzky, Hull, Ted Williams, Gordie Howe, Rocket Richard)

I have also I always wanted to wear 0 if I played basketball

tedwilliams1939homejersey_large.jpg

300px-CarolinaColiseum.jpg

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We all have thought about what number we would be if we did this or that so share what number you would wear if you were a college or pro athlete and why

For me, 9 has always been my favorite number and I would probably wear that if it was still available. Tons of great athletes have worn this number or a form of it(Gretzky, Hull, Ted Williams, Gordie Howe, Rocket Richard)

I have also I always wanted to wear 0 if I played basketball

tedwilliams1939homejersey_large.jpg

13 - Because a lot of people won't wear it.

14 - Because my favorite player growing up wore it. Mike Scioscia

22,33, 77 - Because they are just cool numbers.

43 - Because it's the Richard Petty's number.

89 - The year I graduated high school.

ive played sports my whole life. soccer, baseball, basketball, football. always wore a different number, but i raced go-karts for 9 years, seemed to be my true calling, and always ran #18. my uncle races dirt cars and has ran 18 for about 30 years. so 18 is my number. i like to use it on a lot of my uniform concepts as well

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

9 is my number as well. I chose it for purely aesthetic reasons when I was 11. I thought it was the coolest looking number.

22 or 5 is my back up number in soccer, because that's what Benny Feilhaber wears. :)

For football, the only sport I played in high school, it was 55. I played center, so there was 50-79 to choose from. I wanted 53 freshman year, but it wasn't available so I took 55. Then I decided I wanted to keep the same number for four years.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I was a lineman most of my life so I have worn numbers in the 50's 60's and 70's but I did get to wear a 80's number once.

If I played football it would be 58 because it was the last number I ever wore.

If I played basketball it would be 82 because I wore it for the only year I played a skill position (I played Tight End) and it would be cool to see on a basketball court.

If I played baseball it would be 63. I wore that number for one year (in football) and I played very well.

If I played hockey it would be 90 for the year I was born.

raiders-2.png

Here's the numbers I did wear:

5 (youth league soccer, city league basketball)

23 (first year of club football)

33 (babe ruth league & high school basketball)

85 (high school football, second year of club football)

When I played Little League I had a choice of #3 or #4 since those were the only size smalls and I was the smallest guy on the team. I chose 4 because of Lenny Dykstra. If I had a choice of any number now, I'd pull a Benito Santiago and stick a 0 in front of a single-digit number. I'll go with #04 and say the 4 is in honor of Ralph Kiner.

#16 because I had a really good year in pee-wee baseball with that number, playing 2B. I was really good when I was, y'know, eight.

#41 because this was the number I was given my senior year in high school for baseball. Seniors usually got to pick, but they threw the number at me. I wasn't good and did not play much at all. In fact, the coach couldn't be bothered to spell my name right... until I showed up at practice with my name stitched on the back of a t-shirt with my number 41 on it. He didn't get it wrong after that. Because of the crap I endured on that team, 41 reminds me of my ability to persevere.

Also, I wore that t-shirt all the time when I played intramural sports in college, so it became my number out of habit.

Every Fifth Day is a

HappyFelixDay.gif

In high school football, I wore 52 my freshman year because that's what they gave me. My sophomore year I chose 68 for my JV number because of the ones available to me I liked that one the best for whatever reason, but the coaches gave me 70 for varsity because 68 was taken. My junior year I stayed with 70 on varsity because I already had my letterman jacket made and I converted my JV number to 70 also. And my senior year was 70 on varsity.

In lacrosse, I first chose 25 because I originally wanted 35 to match my favorite hockey goalie JS Giguere (I was a goalie in lacrosse too), but our numbers only went up to 25 (we started as a small funded club team) and I would've taken 9 for my favorite number/birthday, 8 for Teemu Selanne, 15 for Tim Salmon, 16 for Garrett Anderson, or 18 for Peyton Manning, but I came to practice late and I had a small selection. My second choice would have been 1 for another traditional hockey goalie number, but our coach didn't want anyone to have 1 because he didn't want anyone to think that they were better than everyone else because of a number or being #1.

But we changed coaches, finally became a school-sponsored sport and ordered new jerseys, so I took #1 and the jersey was specially made for me. And now basically all goalies we have from now on will have #1 unless they are tiny. A nice tradition that I actually started. (My backup always wanted my number because it looked great on our jerseys. So I basically passed down my jersey and told him to pass it to the next backup which he did. Very cool.)

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I never really cared what number I wore.

Across basketball, football (AFL) and soccer i've worn... 4, 7, 9, 15, 12, 21, 24, 25, 36, 43, 44, 46, 50, 52, 55 and I think thats it. I didn't pick any of those numbers....

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

#14 I was named after Maestro Cruyjff, my birthday is Sep 14th, at 14:00, in Paris 14th too... I wore 14 all my basketball playing days, and jinx #13 only once for my retirement game : 14 was still at laundry and I suffered a carreer ending knee injury.

I still cherish this number through players like TH14.

#26 would be my first choice, for my birthday, April 26th. I always use this for my created player in NHL videogames, and even got myself a personalised Ducks jersey with this number on (so it's essentially a fantasy videogame jersey). During a brief stint with my university's American Football team, the Anglia Ruskin Phantoms, I was a fullback and this number was available for me to use.

#8 would be my next choice, for Teemu Selanne. Also, in regards to #26, 2 + 6 = 8.

#20, for Steve Rucchin.

#64, for my favourite ever videogame console, the Nintendo 64 (which is also where the number in my username is derived from).

And finally, #4, both because of my month of birth, and because I like the number for some reason.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

My first year of high school basketball, I wore #6. Second season we got new unis, and I switched to #10, mainly because Tim Hardaway wore that number (he was one of my favourite players at the time). For my 3rd season onwards I wore #12, as that was 2 times 6 (the lowest number was #8, and they went up by size).

When I went on to play at university, and later semi-pro, I went back to #6, which I kept until I stopped playing about 4 years ago. I wore #6 because it was Dr. J's number in the NBA, and he was possibly my favourite player ever.

I had a t-shirt as kid with 17 on it and thought the number looked cool. I wore it in soccer, hockey and baseball. When I played football you couldn't get a custom number so I was 14 one year, 31 the next and 40 my senior year. I learned later in life my late father always wore the number 15 in every sport he played, which I thought was pretty cool. Maybe if I have a son one day he'll like #19....just to keep up the "tradition." Cool topic.

newsig.jpg

23...the day of the month I was born on. That's what I'd choose currently, if I played a sport.

Though back in my high school footballer days I chose 39, for no other reason than hardly anyone ever wore that number.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

i always liked #2.

not sure if derian hatcher became my favorite player as a kid because he wore #2, or if i liked #2 because derian hatcher wore it... but 2 has always been my number.

Archived