New Cleveland Cav Uniforms.

charger77

The logo looked great in the LeBron era and it looks even better now with the deeper wine, and brighter yellow.

No, it looks worse, because the wine and navy (remember that color?) are now about equally dark, and get muddled together. Slapping a bright yellow on there in place of the metallic gold is jarring and makes no sense, since the metallic gold was there for a sword, which is, I dunno, metal. Rare is the logo that improves with NBA recoloring. Colors are initially selected for reasons, after all.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find it hilarious that Cleveland really changed their whole color scheme and jerseys just to get the name "LeBron James" wiped out of the city. Not to mention they created possibly the worst uniforms I've seen in a while.

I find it hilarious how little you know. Uniform change requests has to be in at least 1 season before they are scheduled to be worn.

They didn't change their colors, they just returned to the original shades of the wine and gold. A change of color would have been if they went to purple, green, and black.

Again with the worst uniform... coming from a Celtics fan, both teams having simple styled jerseys.

I guess it isn't worth it. Boston fans are a pain.

The Cavs first started looking at uniform changes four or five years ago, to reinforce your point.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I find it hilarious that Cleveland really changed their whole color scheme and jerseys just to get the name "LeBron James" wiped out of the city. Not to mention they created possibly the worst uniforms I've seen in a while.

I find it hilarious how little you know. Uniform change requests has to be in at least 1 season before they are scheduled to be worn.

They didn't change their colors, they just returned to the original shades of the wine and gold. A change of color would have been if they went to purple, green, and black.

Again with the worst uniform... coming from a Celtics fan, both teams having simple styled jerseys.

...more like front-running fans lol. if you look at his signature he's a yankees, packers, and celtics fan. <_<

The Cavs first started looking at uniform changes four or five years ago, to reinforce your point.

Exactly. This change was going to happen whether or not LeBron was staying. Hell, LeBron was technically still with the team when they unveiled the "new" logo. If anything, they were trying to sell more LeBron jerseys by changing uniforms...since, you know, the Cavs did nothing but trot out new alternate uniforms just to make cash off of LeBron jerseys. This was not done in spite of LeBron, this was done FOR LeBron, and the facts prove it.

That being said, this is a huge downgrade. The uniform set that they had before (not counting the 8 million alternates that they had) was pure class, and this uniform

4ednbbjjasnibh2o18dfdjhtg.gif

was one of the best in the NBA and one of my favorites. It's sad to see it go by the wayside & be replaced by what it was replaced with. Maybe the new look will grow on me soon, but it's nowhere near as good as what they had. The bright side is that I can pick up one of these alts for a really cheap price.

Exactly. This change was going to happen whether or not LeBron was staying. Hell, LeBron was technically still with the team when they unveiled the "new" logo. If anything, they were trying to sell more LeBron jerseys by changing uniforms...since, you know, the Cavs did nothing but trot out new alternate uniforms just to make cash off of LeBron jerseys. This was not done in spite of LeBron, this was done FOR LeBron, and the facts prove it.

That being said, this is a huge downgrade. The uniform set that they had before (not counting the 8 million alternates that they had) was pure class, and this uniform

was one of the best in the NBA and one of my favorites. It's sad to see it go by the wayside & be replaced by what it was replaced with. Maybe the new look will grow on me soon, but it's nowhere near as good as what they had. The bright side is that I can pick up one of these alts for a really cheap price.

This. I loved that navy alt and still do. It's gonna be time for me to pick up one or more of those when I head back to Northeast Ohio for Fall Break. The new colors are about the only thing I like about the new set. You know, I loved that navy alternate jersey (and the set in general) enough to burn my 3,000th post commenting on it.

6fQjS3M.png

This. I loved that navy alt and still do. It's gonna be time for me to pick up one or more of those when I head back to Northeast Ohio for Fall Break. The new colors are about the only thing I like about the new set. You know, I loved that navy alternate jersey (and the set in general) enough to burn my 3,000th post commenting on it.

So glad these are gone. They were a decent design to start, but nothing great. The only part that was really exciting was the blend of the Candy Cane uniforms with the current set. Calling this uniform over-exposed is any understatement, which contributes to why I dislike it so much.

Hopefully, we will see a gold alt in 2 years... since the navy, thankfully, is being reserved only for logos.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

The logo looked great in the LeBron era and it looks even better now with the deeper wine, and brighter yellow.

No, it looks worse, because the wine and navy (remember that color?) are now about equally dark, and get muddled together. Slapping a bright yellow on there in place of the metallic gold is jarring and makes no sense, since the metallic gold was there for a sword, which is, I dunno, metal. Rare is the logo that improves with NBA recoloring. Colors are initially selected for reasons, after all.

Yes, but not always for good reasons.

Can't agree with you. I hated the previous color scheme, because the wine and navy and gold were all about the same grayscale. They were muddy, and blended together at any distance.

The new gold is far brighter, and really pops against the darker wine.

I don't know. I like the color pallet of gold, red, white, and blue... but, like you said, the colors the Cavs used tended to run together. That being said, they ran together well. Either way, I think they navy should have been used sparingly... definitely NOT for an alt uniform. With the new yellow and wine... the navy works, to a degree. But I think it does my harm than help.

I would have liked to see white incorporated into the road uniform more.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Cavaliers' color history:

ClevelandCavaliers_FRC_1980_SOL_SRGB.png

Hardwood Classics has this particular color palette as this:

ClevelandCavaliers_AFR_1980_SOL_SRGB.png

...which is incorrect, but looks better IMO.

ClevelandCavaliers_FRC_1983_SOL_SRGB.png

As indicated by the asterisk ('*'), I'm not sure of the exact shade of Metallic Gold, but it's close.

ClevelandCavaliers_FRC_1987_SOL_SRGB.png

ClevelandCavaliers_FRC_1994_SOL_SRGB.png

ClevelandCavaliers_FRC_2003_SOL_SRGB.png

ClevelandCavaliers_FRC_2010_SOL_SRGB.png

ClevelandCavaliers_FRC_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

As always, keep in mind that these are printed/solid/spot colors, not fabric/textile colors...I have Pantone Textile colors from the 1994-1995 through 2002-2003 set forward, but not prior to that (they weren't specified prior to 1997 or so)...

I LOOOOOVED the navy alts (though they were overused) and would love to see something similar done with the current color scheme so that it can be a modern version of the old candy-canes literally.

But since the LBJ-era is gone, I was still able to get a Z navy jersey, which I don't have to burn lol.

Thanks for the swatches, CWx. Always neat to see a team's color scheme evolve. Took some sharp turns, too.

I've tried to let this "new" set grow on me. But I hate it. Weak, rec-league, faux-back oversimplified crap. The until-recently-road wine jersey was solid, the home was about perfect, and the navy was alright as a change up. I don't know what else they could have done to milk more money out of LBJ jersey sales, but this is just sad.

The Cavs finally had a solid, consistent look (even with 100 alts)...and now they look like they're stuck 50 years ago. Unless the next "next Michael Jordan" gets drafted by Cleveland...I'll have less than zero interest in this look. Yawn. Let me know when this set has 5 alts. I'll wait.

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

Since the Navy and Wine are only placed side by side in one instance (The Lines on the Basketball) I fail to see how this is a problem. The two colours are both dark so therefore it makes perfect sense for the yellow to be brighter to provide contrast and highlight the important elements of the logo like the Sword and Script. I think its a big improvement over the somewhat muted colours of the last. Shame the uniforms arent..

I think the timing was purposeful though - they knew, for better or worse, this was a pivotal offseason for Cleveland and LeBron; the new unis were timed to coincide with either moving on without him or for moving forward with a new commitment.

Just like the last set was timed for his arrival, before the lottery even happened.

• 1 month later...

Archived