• Last Reply

Here's a big one.

To Colorado

D Erik Johnson

F Jay McClement

To St Louis

D Kevin Shattenkirk

F Chris Stewart

Right now it's just a report, more to follow.

This is either going to be a great trade for the Avs or a horrible trade for them, only time will tell. I do like swapping Shattenkirk for Johnson as it gives the Avs a more physical defensemen. And as far as the draft picks go, if the Blues finish in the bottom 10 of the NHL this year then the draft pick the Avs get will be for 2012, otherwise they get this years pick (2011).

IMO this is already a bad deal for Colorado. Liles is their only puck mover and Shattenkirks ceiling was sky high. I just dont understand how you give up a guy like Chris Stewart. Johnson is a good defenseman, maybe this trade will push him to be better but i really dont like this trade.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

IMO this is already a bad deal for Colorado. Liles is their only puck mover and Shattenkirks ceiling was sky high. I just dont understand how you give up a guy like Chris Stewart. Johnson is a good defenseman, maybe this trade will push him to be better but i really dont like this trade.

Shattenkirk and Liles are very similar players, bringing in Johnson in gives them a little variety and hopefully with his tougher style of play will bring some added umph to a somewhat weak team.

The thing about Stewart is he showed some brilliant play last year (and this year when he wasn't hurt) and there had to be a legitiment reason why they let him go. I'm guessing that based on what they have seen and from what Sacco has seen (he's coached Stewart for awhile, dating back to Lake Erie) they figured that Stewart was a flash in the pan kind of player, and his success wouldn't last much longer. That seems to be the only logical explanation I can come up with.

I like the move to swap Shattenkirk for Johnson, but am a little disappointed to see Stewart go.

jNTsTyQ.png

Yeah, that trade was a head scratcher, & now they have immediate regret now that he goes from being traded (seemingly in the middle of the night) to scoring 2 goals in his debut. Really surprised that Colorado would let Chris Stewart go.

Also, the Thrashers blew a 2 goal lead in the 3rd...against Edmonton...via the Power Play, which the Oilers have ranked dead last in. Though, I guess I have to put an asterisk by it since it was Taylor Freakin' Hall who just decided to go all Beast Mode on the lackadaisical Atlanta defense. Still, shameful performance by the Thrashers, one that probably ended their hopes at a playoff spot.

Tomorrow's gonna be fun, though. Hockey Day in America! 12:30 game, Pens vs. Blackhawks for the 3:30 game, then the Heritage Classic. I am sitting my ass in front of the TV all day tomorrow.

Yotes win their 7th straight. Say what you will about them, but they are playing some good hockey right now.

Please keep winning Phoenix. They're a team that I wouldn't at all mind see pull away from the rest of the pack.

Just let us beat you Friday night. :wink:

That said, this was a great day if you're a Jackets fan. Dallas, Los Angeles, and Anaheim all play, and all lose. The Jackets are guaranteed to still only be 4 points out when they play Tuesday night, and there's a decent chance they could pull to 2 back if they win. That said, it's Nashville... and the Jackets suck against Nashville.

6fQjS3M.png

Shattenkirk and Liles are very similar players, bringing in Johnson in gives them a little variety and hopefully with his tougher style of play will bring some added umph to a somewhat weak team.

The thing about Stewart is he showed some brilliant play last year (and this year when he wasn't hurt) and there had to be a legitiment reason why they let him go. I'm guessing that based on what they have seen and from what Sacco has seen (he's coached Stewart for awhile, dating back to Lake Erie) they figured that Stewart was a flash in the pan kind of player, and his success wouldn't last much longer. That seems to be the only logical explanation I can come up with.

I like the move to swap Shattenkirk for Johnson, but am a little disappointed to see Stewart go.

The move swapping Shattenkirk for Johnson is a head scratcher as well. If you look at them right now, yeah the Avs win cause Johnson is a really good all around defenseman and Shattenkirk is pretty one dimensional. However, Shattenkirk is still young. I really hate, as a rule, to give up on young defenseman so early in their career, especially when its apparent that the teams intention is not to win now. Shattenkirks ceiling is extremely high, he has a ton of room to grow.

As far as Stewart goes, to be honest, I'm not so sure how much say on this kids future Sacco should have had. Stewart is a top 10 power forward in this league, hes got the hands in front of the net to be a Holmstrom-type player. Youre always looking for a guy like that, I just dont understand giving up Stewart for McClement. I know with Duchene hurt McClement fills a need, but it seems like a permanent solution to a temporary problem. The trade is a head scratcher all around.

"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

The move swapping Shattenkirk for Johnson is a head scratcher as well. If you look at them right now, yeah the Avs win cause Johnson is a really good all around defenseman and Shattenkirk is pretty one dimensional. However, Shattenkirk is still young. I really hate, as a rule, to give up on young defenseman so early in their career, especially when its apparent that the teams intention is not to win now. Shattenkirks ceiling is extremely high, he has a ton of room to grow.

As far as Stewart goes, to be honest, I'm not so sure how much say on this kids future Sacco should have had. Stewart is a top 10 power forward in this league, hes got the hands in front of the net to be a Holmstrom-type player. Youre always looking for a guy like that, I just dont understand giving up Stewart for McClement. I know with Duchene hurt McClement fills a need, but it seems like a permanent solution to a temporary problem. The trade is a head scratcher all around.

Johnson is really young too, he's only 22. The reason I like the swap of defensemen is because the Avs need a more physical style of defensemen like Johnson. This team is very soft (both mentally and physically) and Johnson brings a bit of toughness to the team.

I don't think Sacco had very much say in the matter. My guess is that the Avs went to Sacco and asked "Do you think this kid's success is going to last for a substantial amount of time?" and Sacco said probably not. I don't agree with the trading of Stewart for the exact reasons you mentioned above. I'm just saying that this is seemingly the only logical explanation as to why they would trade him.

jNTsTyQ.png

Johnson is really young too, he's only 22. The reason I like the swap of defensemen is because the Avs need a more physical style of defensemen like Johnson. This team is very soft (both mentally and physically) and Johnson brings a bit of toughness to the team.

I don't think Sacco had very much say in the matter. My guess is that the Avs went to Sacco and asked "Do you think this kid's success is going to last for a substantial amount of time?" and Sacco said probably not. I don't agree with the trading of Stewart for the exact reasons you mentioned above. I'm just saying that this is seemingly the only logical explanation as to why they would trade him.

It seems like Johnsons been in the league forever, I forget he was rushed into the league when he was 18. He is a great talent and they say hes become complacent in St. Louis so maybe a move will spark him. From what me and my wife can gather (shes from Denver and a diehard Avs fan) we think the trade started off that the Avs wanted Johnson, and the Blues thought getting Shattenkirk and Stewart would be fair, but Sherman wanted to get another player and McClement was a throw in in the deal. Thats all we can think to justify this deal.

HDIA is making for some interesting announcing assignments. Pat Foley (Chicago) is calling the Wings-Wild game, Jim Jackson (Philly) is in Buffalo for the Caps-Sabres game and Ken Daniels (Detroit) is at MSG for Flyers-Rangers.

I have a question, sportsclubstats gives the Blackhawks a 44.7% chance of making the playoffs. The Blue Jackets with an identical record are only at 14.7%. The Blues who have one fewer point are at 24%. Not that I put any stock in this website, but what?

Today, for standings purposes only I will be rooting for the Penguins. I feel slimy.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I have a question, sportsclubstats gives the Blackhawks a 44.7% chance of making the playoffs. The Blue Jackets with an identical record are only at 14.7%. The Blues who have one fewer point are at 24%. Not that I put any stock in this website, but what?

Today, for standings purposes only I will be rooting for the Penguins. I feel slimy.

Probably strength of schedule is the difference.

Probably strength of schedule is the difference.

It is strength of schedule. WhatIfSports does the same kind of prediction for NFL teams, and many times when there are 3-5 teams with the same record, in the same conference, they base who will have the greater chance of making the playoffs on who will have an easier road due to their strength of schedule so far.

The regional game was good as the Dead Things and the Wild went to a shootout (Although it was an easy 2-0 win in that for Detroit), and I don't know for sure who won the Pittsburgh-Chicago game...

But, the Heritage Classic tonight ought to be fun to watch. An outdoor is always fun to watch... it's going to be even better knowing it's a battle of two Canadian teams. Oh, and as a subtle hockey thing (or as subtle as I can make it): Five for Fighting is performing at the moment.

What is this Hockey Day in America stuff? :P

And what were the NHL and NBC thinking scheduling it directly opposite the Daytona 500? Have they finally given up trying to compete with NASCAR in the South? Come to think of it, maybe that's why they're doing next to nothing to save the Atlanta Thrashers after moving mountains to keep the Coyotes in Phoenix.

CCSLC signature.png

Archived