The 2010-2011 MLB Offseason Thread

AnythingChicago

Phillies do not have the horses, unless they're including Dominic Brown, and possibly not even then.

The Blue Jays MIGHT, if they gut their entire system... the Yankees have the players if they're doing Montero plus (and that might not be enough), but with the apprehension about Grienke accepting a trade to New York, I don't see it.

Not being a homer, and this has been said by several national baseball writers too, the best match of need and prospects is the Rangers. They're in a lower key media market, still have a top 10 farm system with impact bats and arms, and obviously have a need with Lee leaving.

Texas is a good fit, teamwise and marketwise. With his past issues, Greinke would not fair well in NYC. I mean he almost quit baseball before from the pressure of playing in Kansas City. KANSAS CITY! You'd get more pressure playing in Amish country than KC. Texas is a good team in search of a true ace, which Greinke is basically becoming, in a market without all the "lights" of the likes of NYC or Boston.

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phillies do not have the horses, unless they're including Dominic Brown, and possibly not even then.

The Blue Jays MIGHT, if they gut their entire system... the Yankees have the players if they're doing Montero plus (and that might not be enough), but with the apprehension about Grienke accepting a trade to New York, I don't see it.

Not being a homer, and this has been said by several national baseball writers too, the best match of need and prospects is the Rangers. They're in a lower key media market, still have a top 10 farm system with impact bats and arms, and obviously have a need with Lee leaving.

I know you're a Rangers fan, but is Buenos Aires a suburb of Dallas?

I saw, I came, I left.

In the same way Miami is the 6th bourough of NYC. Duh. Where've you been?

In the same way Miami is the 6th bourough of NYC. Duh. Where've you been?

In a suburb of Toronto called St. Louis...

I saw, I came, I left.

B)

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned it on here before, but I'm from Texas originally... I only live in Buenos Aires.

If anything, the Pats fandom is more baffling (and it honestly has to do with the Flying Elvis, Sports Illustrated, and Drew Bledsoe).

Zack Grienke has fired his agent and requested a trade. Honestly, I can't put into words any thoughts if the Phillies traded for him, so I'll use these emoticons instead (and in probable order):

:shocked::o::puke::cursing::angered:

While it seems that he did fire his agency, what is more important to know that Greinke still cannot refuse a trade with is current contract for two more years. He must desire an extension when traded.

the cubs sign kerry wood to a 1 year $1.5 million dollar deal. i don't care what anyone thinks or says. kerry wood wanted to stay a chicago cub and as far as i'm concerned, he's one of those players who are Chicago Cubs (on that list, fergie jenkins, billy williams, ernie banks and ron santo). as a cubs fan i am very happy an egregious wrong has been righted.

welcome home kid k.

B)

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned it on here before, but I'm from Texas originally... I only live in Buenos Aires.

Sorry, I must have missed that ^_^ ...

I saw, I came, I left.

the cubs sign kerry wood to a 1 year $1.5 million dollar deal. i don't care what anyone thinks or says. kerry wood wanted to stay a chicago cub and as far as i'm concerned, he's one of those players who are Chicago Cubs (on that list, fergie jenkins, billy williams, ernie banks and ron santo). as a cubs fan i am very happy an egregious wrong has been righted.

welcome home kid k.

Please, whatever you do, do NOT include Kerry Wood in the list of Firgie Jenkins, Billy Williams, Ernie Banks, and Ron Santo. He isn't worthy enough to carry the jock strap of Tuffy Rhodes! Once Kerry Woods retires, he will be forgotten, if he hasn't already been forgotten by the baseball world. You're talking about a hyped up player who's done nothing, and then putting him on a list with close to or Hall of Famers? Please. Kerry Wood was at his best, an average pitcher.

welcome home kid k.

Wait...you're happy the Cubs are paying him money to PLAY baseball?

Ummm....what.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Possible reunion?. The Cubs and Kerry Wood are in talks.

http://mlb.mlb.com/n...rtnerId=rss_chc

welcome home kid k.

Please, whatever you do, do NOT include Kerry Wood in the list of Firgie Jenkins, Billy Williams, Ernie Banks, and Ron Santo. He isn't worthy enough to carry the jock strap of Tuffy Rhodes! Once Kerry Woods retires, he will be forgotten, if he hasn't already been forgotten by the baseball world. You're talking about a hyped up player who's done nothing, and then putting him on a list with close to or Hall of Famers? Please. Kerry Wood was at his best, an average pitcher.

While a lot of what you said is true, he most certainly did more than "nothing"

20 Strikeouts

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

Grienke to the Brewers. First the Jays give them Marcum and now we miss out on Grienke. At least he didn't go to an AL team, but I was hoping we'd land him.

http://onmilwaukee.com/sports/articles/brewersgreinketrade.html?24690

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

he left somewhere in the neighborhood of $8.5 mil on the table from the yankees and red sox to return to the cubs.

when you consider that a) he had a good year last year, especially the second half and B) who he turned down for the cubs (ie contending teams who have a no bs shot at the world series next season, something the cubs are not and don't look to be in the next few years) for c) the price he signed for, well, i guess you don't understand that for some players for some teams, money is not a factor.

the suprising thing is the price of the contract for that calibre a player who still is very useful.

Grienke to the Brewers. First the Jays give them Marcum and now we miss out on Grienke. At least he didn't go to an AL team, but I was hoping we'd land him.

That article is REALLY jumping the gun.

The rumor a deal is done has been refuted by everyone.

ESPN: Grienke traded to Milwaukee

How's that for ya?

6uXNWAo.png

ESPN: Grienke traded to Milwaukee

How's that for ya?

At the time, there was nobody outside of Milwaukee who were reporting the trade, and even the team's beat writer, Tom Hadicourt, who'd said he'd heard nothing final. Kevin Goldstein of BP came pretty close to saying it wasn't going to happen.

I still don't think this makes the Brewers competitors.

Apparently, the Royals didn't want to deal Grienke in the AL, which is really stupid, because he's only signed for two years, and the Royals won't be competing within the next two years.

From Jon Morosi.

Don't think it's fair to criticize #Rangers for not getting Greinke. Dayton Moore was very motivated to move him to NL. #Royals #Brewers

And then Keith Law pretty much obliterates the return here.

What Kansas City got back is bulk, and fit, but not impact. There's no single anchor prospect in this deal, a player who'd be a top-15 pick in a draft or who'd be a top-5 prospect in the Royals' stacked system. And three of the four guys the Royals got back (assuming for now that Jeremy Jeffress is the fourth piece) have some major concern around them that impacts their projected long-term value. When you're trading a once-a-decade franchise player with two years left on a reasonable contract, you have a rare opportunity to add one top-shelf, impact prospect to your system, and the Royals employed a different philosophy entirely.

As underwhelming as the Rangers offseason has been, it could always be worse. Dayton Moore could be the team's GM. That would make things a billion times worse.

Archived