NFL Week 9 Uniform Notes

sportsfan9580

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the vikes need to modernize the throwbacks a little bit and go back to those full time!

All they need to do is wear the current helmet (the only upgraded part in their whole uniform package) with their throwbacks and they'll be set.

My Opinions are in BOLD

You seem incapable of grasping simple facts about jersey/pants stripe matching. Once you get that down we'll talk.

My belief is that if the striping from the jersey matches the striping on the pants then it is a matching set. The Vikings uniform does that for both the white and purple jersey. So am I wrong to say that Denver cannot wear their Orange Jersey with their Blue pants? The striping on that would be inconsistent right?

spacer.png

I didn't want to have to do this (because it shouldn't be necessary), but here's a visual aide:

vikespurple.png

on the left is the stripe as it worn now. On the right is how the stripe would look if the purple pants were actually designed to go with the purple jersey. As you can see the stripe on the right lines up while the stripe on the left doesn't. Make sense now?

PvO6ZWJ.png

the vikes need to modernize the throwbacks a little bit and go back to those full time!

All they need to do is wear the current helmet (the only upgraded part in their whole uniform package) with their throwbacks and they'll be set.

My Opinions are in BOLD

You seem incapable of grasping simple facts about jersey/pants stripe matching. Once you get that down we'll talk.

My belief is that if the striping from the jersey matches the striping on the pants then it is a matching set. The Vikings uniform does that for both the white and purple jersey. So am I wrong to say that Denver cannot wear their Orange Jersey with their Blue pants? The striping on that would be inconsistent right?

It's not a matter of opinion. It's a matter of fact. It's a matter of how the uniform was designed. Why is this so hard to comprehend? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here.

And a big thanks to McCarthy. I'm with him. Visual aides shouldn't need to be dragged out, but here we are.

My Opinions are in BOLD

It's not a matter of opinion. It's a matter of fact. It's a matter of how the uniform was designed. Why is this so hard to comprehend? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here.

And a big thanks to McCarthy. I'm with him. Visual aides shouldn't need to be dragged out, but here we are.

Thanks guys for pointing out your opinions.

spacer.png

you're a teacher?

Oh geez.

We're not talking about whether the uniforms look good or not. That is up to opinion. What isn't up to opinion is that the purple pants and purple jerseys weren't made for each other. That can't be disputed and isn't an opinion that you can have or not have. They were designed to be worn opposite of one another, never with.

My opinion is that purple pants with the purple jersey look bad. The awfulness of the look is further compounded by the fact that those pants aren't even supposed to go with that jersey.

and I brought up the broncos because what the Vikings are doing with their pants is exactly the same thing as if the Broncos mixed and matched their pants. I wasn't trying to start a discussion on whether or not that would look good.

side issue: Has anyone else noticed the collective intelligence of this board has fallen off lately? This shouldn't even be an argument and here we are.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Thanks guys for pointing out your opinions. I appreciate it, however, I just think it looks good together. As a Professor, I have asked my students today if they liked the uniforms and so far, I have a 61% - 39% in favor of the look. Sorry for having you make a visual, but this is a matter of opinion once again. BTW, I asked me students about the Broncos uniforms and they agreed that is would be hideous to mix and match the styles I mentioned. One final note, I agree that the pants would look good with a white jersey, in fact, most of students thought that too. Thanks everyone.

It. Is. Not. A. Matter. Of. Opinion. Why is that so hard for you to grasp? See the white inserts above the purple stripe on the white pants? That indicates that they were meant to be worn with the purple jersey so that jersey's white side panels will continue into the white inserts. The purple pants have a purple insert above the white stripe indicating that they're meant to be worn with the white jersey so that the purple side panels will continue into the purple insert. It's not a matter of personal taste. It's a matter of recognizing the FACT that the purple pants were only designed to be worn with the white jersey and that the white pants were designed to only go with the purple jersey. That point is NOT debatable.

You're free to like whatever combination you want. You need to recognize the fact that the uniforms were only supposed to be worn in a specific way, however.

I also doubt very much that you're a professor of, well, anything really. First the the bold part of your post. Most professors I know despite the "text speak" style abbreviations of the English language and would never in a million years be caught using "BTW", "FYI", "IMO", etc... Also "I asked me students"? I would think someone in academia would be more careful about proof reading what they write.

I also find it highly dubious that a professor would waste a portion of class time polling their students on NFL uniform combinations, much less have accurate percentage numbers ready to go.

All in all you have the makings of someone who can't distinguish a fact from an opinion and when confronted with your fallacies restored to creating a fake "I'm more qualified then you" persona of a professor.

side issue: Has anyone else noticed the collective intelligence of this board has fallen off lately? This shouldn't even be an argument and here we are.

Like I said, it's like we're on crazy pills. Next thing you know Professor nuordr will start a thread about how 72%-53% of his students believe the sky is in fact red and that to declare that it is blue is simply a matter of opinion.

Thanks guys for pointing out your opinions. I appreciate it, however, I just think it looks good together. As a Professor, I have asked my students today if they liked the uniforms and so far, I have a 61% - 39% in favor of the look. Sorry for having you make a visual, but this is a matter of opinion once again. BTW, I asked me students about the Broncos uniforms and they agreed that is would be hideous to mix and match the styles I mentioned. One final note, I agree that the pants would look good with a white jersey, in fact, most of students thought that too. Thanks everyone.

I also doubt very much that you're a professor of, well, anything really. First the the bold part of your post. Most professors I know despite the "text speak" style abbreviations of the English language and would never in a million years be caught using "BTW", "FYI", "IMO", etc... Also "I asked me students"? I would think someone in academia would be more careful about proof reading what they write.

I also find it highly dubious that a professor would waste a portion of class time polling their students on NFL uniform combinations, much less have accurate percentage numbers ready to go.

Maybe he's a pirate professor? Then, "I asked me students" would by completely acceptable.

Back to the discussion, McCarthy summed it up well. The jerseys are NOT designed to go all-white or all-purple. You're more than welcome to like any combination you like, and that's your opinion and no one can take it from you. You're getting two very different issues muddled here.

HornetsTwistSig.gif

New York Jets |3-3| First, AFC East

New York Mets |74-88| Fourth, NL East

New York Islanders|34-37-11| Fifth, Atlantic Division

New Orleans Hornets |21-45| Third, Southwest Division

Maybe he's a pirate professor? Then, "I asked me students" would by completely acceptable.

Back to the discussion, McCarthy summed it up well. The jerseys are NOT designed to go all-white or all-purple. You're more than welcome to like any combination you like, and that's your opinion and no one can take it from you. You're getting two very different issues muddled here.

So I express my feeling and tell you guys what I do and you want to make comedy out of it? Well, I am above harassing someone so I am done with that.

spacer.png

So I express my feeling and tell you guys what I do and you want to make comedy out of it? Well, I am above harassing someone so I am done with that.

My feeling? When is your next paper due out? I cannot wait to read that gem.

This debate reminds me of a quote from Abe Lincoln:

"If you call a tail a leg, how many legs does a dog have? Five? No, calling a tail a leg don't make it a leg."

nuordr is saying that the jerseys are meant to be together. Does that mean they are? No. We all know the truth, so why bother arguing with this guy?

Call me crazy but I have to think that an actual college professor wouldn't write like a 13 year old. If you're really teaching college then there are a bunch of kids getting ripped off.

BB52Big.jpg

id love for the Vik's uniform designer(s) to see this thread,lol

my opinion is that the pants were made to go with either jersey. (has anyone else thought of that?). weather or not "it looks good" isnt necessary to debate without supporting reasoning. it can be either a stripe continuation, or a hip patch. they both work IMO. that broken part of the stripe is there to house the logo. it makes it relevant in either color combination. without the logo there, it would feel very awkward. (if you go by the "one eye sees the other feels" way of thought)

the reason i believe the Broncos couldnt (or shouldnt) do the same, like a blue strip meeting and orange stripe, is because of the abrupt horizontal "slice" in the colors at the belt. there is no "flow" of the stripe, which is why i like that angled cut on the Vikings pant. and, they have no relevant reason for breaking it up there. a hip logo really works for that. like i said, it "feels" wrong on the Denver set

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

id love for the Vik's uniform designer(s) to see this thread,lol

my opinion is that the pants were made to go with either jersey. (has anyone else thought of that?). weather or not "it looks good" isnt necessary to debate without supporting reasoning. it can be either a stripe continuation, or a hip patch. they both work IMO. that broken part of the stripe is there to house the logo. it makes it relevant in either color combination. without the logo there, it would feel very awkward. (if you go by the "one eye sees the other feels" way of thought)

the reason i believe the Broncos couldnt (or shouldnt) do the same, like a blue strip meeting and orange stripe, is because of the abrupt horizontal "slice" in the colors at the belt. there is no "flow" of the stripe, which is why i like that angled cut on the Vikings pant. and, they have no relevant reason for breaking it up there. a hip logo really works for that. like i said, it "feels" wrong on the Denver set

I'm not sure how you can possibly have the opinion that the top part of the pants stripe is a patch for the logo to reside in, when it's pretty clear that it was designed to extend the side panel of the jersey into the pants. There is no competent designer who would have one thick stripe abruptly end like that, and then pick up again. The uniforms were not modeled in different combinations - pretty much all new uniform sets (that I can remember recently anyway) are modeled in every combination, whether they're actually worn that way or not. I think it's fine to have an opinion on whether or not the different combos look good or not, and obviously the team is free to mix and match however they want, but I'm not sure how it can possibly be more clear that the intent was not to mix and match. Again, this is arguing that 2+2=5.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived