2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread

Billy B

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UNC-Asheville has taken the Big South crown

In addition to the 3 conference finals today, a reminder on ESPN3.com tonight is Ivy League Clusterfudge 2011. Princeton at Harvard. Here's the scenario:

-Princeton wins, they get the auto-bid

-If Harvard wins, then Princeton loses to Penn Tuesday, Harvard gets the auto-bid

-If Harvard wins, then Princeton beats Penn Tuesday, a tiebreak game will be played later on in the week

Also, I'll put in my two cents to say some of these lower level mid-major conferences should do the Ivy League regular season auto-bid. However, considering all the money these conferences make, I wouldn't hold my breath too soon.

Onto the Orange, Syracuse will have a double bye in the Big East Tournament after their thrashing of DePaul today. Not sure how I feel about that though

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

Also, I'll put in my two cents to say some of these lower level mid-major conferences should do the Ivy League regular season auto-bid. However, considering all the money these conferences make, I wouldn't hold my breath too soon.

What's going on among the Mid-Majors is more of a 'ladder' format to their tournies.

A 'ladder' basically protects their top two seeds from any potential pratfalls until the semifinals, at the latest. Although, pratfalls can still happen (ask Murray State).

These smaller conferences want to protect their best teams because these teams might be capable of getting an upset in the tourny. For example, watching the A-Sun Championship... Which team do you think can provide the conference a chance for a win in the tourny?

Arizona Wildcats: 2011 PAC-10 Champions!

I could not have asked for my last game as a student to be any better. I'll sleep happy tonight.

Bear Down. Don't call it a comeback, because WE NEVER LEFT.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

What's going on among the Mid-Majors is more of a 'ladder' format to their tournies.

A 'ladder' basically protects their top two seeds from any potential pratfalls until the semifinals, at the latest. Although, pratfalls can still happen (ask Murray State).

These smaller conferences want to protect their best teams because these teams might be capable of getting an upset in the tourny. For example, watching the A-Sun Championship... Which team do you think can provide the conference a chance for a win in the tourny?

True, it's just that I think you kinda want to prevent a barely .500 team from making the tournament rather than the regular season champ. Or at least a final between the 1 and 2 seeds. I see what you're saying though

And speaking of the Ivy League clusterfudge, Harvard wins meaning things are getting real interesting fast. It's up to Princeton to beat Penn now to force a one game playoff

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

Classic UNC ignorange. Nice storming of the court also, that didn't look stupid.

Stop being a sore loser.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Congrats to UNC-Asheville, Belmont and Morehead State. These three teams are the first three to punch their tickets to the Field of 68.

One bid is up for grabs today.

Missouri Valley Championship - St. Louis, MO

#3 Indiana State Sycamores vs. #1 Missouri State Bears

Records:

INST: 19-13 (12-6)

MOST: 25-7 (15-3)

The last time Indiana State was in the spotlight...a certain player from French Lick was on the team and they reached the NCAA Tourny's Championship game. Missouri State had the spotlight before in the past when they were known as Southwest Missouri State. Today, both of these teams will meet for an automatic bid in a rare down year for the MVC.

As far as I'm concerned, every program, no matter how elite, is entitled to an occasional court rush. Beating your rival to win the regular season title warrants a court rush.

How is that "classic UNC ignorance?" It's more classic Duke being sore losers.

Storming the court in a game that you were favored in. I'm fine with the whole way that the game went, but UNC fans looked stupid storming the court. And don't give me the "It was a game for the ACC title against a rival" argument because if Duke won that type of game the Cameron Crazies wouldn't have stormed the court. I've seen them do it once on a last second shot against VA tech. If UNC made that type of shot or something I would get it, but the game was never really close. It just made no sense.

And Kevin W- Don't hate on me for being a sore loser when you're the one who comes on after every Arizona loss and cries about it.

Shocking win for Indiana State. The last time the Sycamores were in the NCAA Tourny was 2001.

Now, Missouri State joins Fairfield (who got shocked by St. Peter's today), Coastal Carolina and Murray State as automatic NIT entries.

(Editing Note: Just realized the Sycamores were in the tourny in '01. My bad)

Shocking win for Indiana State. The last time the Sycamores were in the NCAA Tourny was 2001.

Now, Missouri State joins Fairfield (who got shocked by St. Peter's today), Coastal Carolina and Murray State as automatic NIT entries.

Weird. But will Missouri State get an at-large bid to the big dance? The same question can be asked of Coastal Carolina.

25yzwqg.png

And Kevin W- Don't hate on me for being a sore loser when you're the one who comes on after every Arizona loss and cries about it.

No, you're being a sore loser.

Weird. But will Missouri State get an at-large bid to the big dance? The same question can be asked of Coastal Carolina.

Missouri State does bring up an interesting case as they are the MVC regular season champs. Yet, Missouri State has had a high RPI in the past (As of now, they're 37th in the latest RPI rankings) and have been shunned by the committee. Plus, the Bears don't have that signature win they could really hang their hat on for the committee to look.

As for Coastal Carolina: They're toast... Why? 20 of the team's 28 wins came against teams 200th and below in the RPI, plus four wins against Non D-I teams. Beating up on cupcakes may make you successful in college football, but beating up on cupcakes in college hoops gets you a one way ticket to NIT-ville.

Archived