2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread

Billy B

George Mason is out of the Colonial tournament, meaning there's going to be one less at-large bid for bubble teams it looks like. VCU-ODU for the CAA title tomorrow night. Also marks the end of Charles Jenkins' career at Hofstra. All my friends back at home love the kid, and it looks like he's quite the player, but in his four years at Hofstra he led them to a grand total of zero NCAA tournament appearances (and zero NIT appearances for that matter, too, unless they pick up Hofstra this year, which is debatable). He's just a wee-bit overhyped (just a little bit, he does seem to be a good player but with the hype on Long Island this kid gets it makes him just a tad overrated) if you ask me

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Missouri State does bring up an interesting case as they are the MVC regular season champs. Yet, Missouri State has had a high RPI in the past (As of now, they're 37th in the latest RPI rankings) and have been shunned by the committee. Plus, the Bears don't have that signature win they could really hang their hat on for the committee to look.

Yeah the MVC is a one-bid league this year, unfortunately for them.

And unless ODU loses there won't be a bid-steal since George Mason and ODU are pretty much locks.

34y7eo5.jpg

You know what they say, "Traditionalist's can go die in a hole if they don't like it."

And Kevin W- Don't hate on me for being a sore loser when you're the one who comes on after every Arizona loss and cries about it.

No, you're being a sore loser.

Yeah I am, but you have no right to call me a sore loser when you are probably a bigger one than me.

And Kevin W- Don't hate on me for being a sore loser when you're the one who comes on after every Arizona loss and cries about it.

Yeah I am, but you have no right to call me a sore loser when you are probably a bigger one than me.

At this point, that's irrelevant.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

How is that "classic UNC ignorance?" It's more classic Duke being sore losers.

Storming the court in a game that you were favored in. I'm fine with the whole way that the game went, but UNC fans looked stupid storming the court. And don't give me the "It was a game for the ACC title against a rival" argument because if Duke won that type of game the Cameron Crazies wouldn't have stormed the court. I've seen them do it once on a last second shot against VA tech. If UNC made that type of shot or something I would get it, but the game was never really close. It just made no sense.

In 2005 Duke fans stormed the court after beating Virginia Tech after a Sean Dockery buzzer-beater. Virginia Tech went on to go 4-12 in the ACC. Don't give me that crap.

At this point, that's irrelevant.

I was wondering if some of you guys could take your internet fight someplace else? It's dumb that every sports thread devolves into....this.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Agreed.

Anyway, congrats to Indiana State as they are the 4th team to punch their ticket to the Field of 68. Four more spots are up for grabs today.

Colonial Championship - Richmond, VA

#4 VCU Rams vs. #2 Old Dominion Monarchs

Records

VCU: 23-10 (12-6)

ODU: 26-6 (14-4)

The CAA has taken the mantle of the nation's best mid-major conference by the throat and isn't going to let go anytime soon. VCU took out George Mason last night to reach this game and get a rematch with their rivals from Norfolk in a game that may produce two or three bids for the CAA... should the Rams get their payback.

Metro Atlantic Championship - Bridgeport, CT

#4 St. Peter's Peacocks vs. #2 Iona Gaels

Records

SPC: 19-13 (11-7)

IONA: 22-10 (13-5)

Many figured that, at the start of the MAAC tourny, Iona would be in the title game. No one saw St. Peter's come out. Thanks to a stifling defense that is one the best in the nation, the Peacocks stunned heavily favored Fairfield on it's home floor to reach the title game. Do they have another upset in their feathers?

West Coast Championship - Las Vegas, NV

#2 Gonzaga Bulldogs vs. #1 St. Mary's Gaels

Records

GONZ: 23-9 (11-3)

SMC: 24-7 (11-3)

A story eternally retold... Or so it seems. Yes, once again, the WCC's auto bid is between Gonzaga and St. Mary's. It seems possible that whoever loses this game might squeak in with an at-large bid, but to be sure... you win tonight to leave no doubt

Southern Championship - Chattanooga, TN

South #2 Wofford Terriers vs. South #1 College of Charleston Cougars

Records

WOF: 20-12 (14-4)

CofC: 24-9 (14-4)

It makes sense that the finals in the SoCon has the defending champion Wofford Terriers and the College of Charleston Cougars, who has the league's best player (and one of the best players at the mid-major level) in Andrew Goudelock. The best player, the best teams... It all works out come Championship Week.

The Pac-10 announced their season awards today. Derrick Williams won Player of the Year (I suspect he was unanimous apart from Sean Miller's vote), Allen Crabbe won Freshman of the Year, Marcus Simmons won Defensive Player of the Year, Matthew Bryan-Amaning won Most Improved Player of the Year and Sean Miller won Coach of the Year.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Missouri State does bring up an interesting case as they are the MVC regular season champs. Yet, Missouri State has had a high RPI in the past (As of now, they're 37th in the latest RPI rankings) and have been shunned by the committee. Plus, the Bears don't have that signature win they could really hang their hat on for the committee to look.

Yeah the MVC is a one-bid league this year, unfortunately for them.

And unless ODU loses there won't be a bid-steal since George Mason and ODU are pretty much locks.

Although Joe Lunardi (the bracketologist) does have them very close in the FIRST FOUR OUT section. So if some bubble team goes belly-up in their conference tourney (Michigan State, Virginia Tech, Boston College, Colorado) then Missouri State might just win themselves a trip to Dayton.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

25yzwqg.png

This really only matters to me, but Bradley sacks Coach Jim Les.

Surprisingly, there are people who are both surprised and pissed about this. In 9 years Bradley never finished higher than 4th in the MVC, he had only 1 NCAA bid, and this season attendance was down and Bradley had their worst season since Eisenhower was President. :rolleyes:

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Surprisingly, there are people who are both surprised and pissed about this. In 9 years Bradley never finished higher than 4th in the MVC, he had only 1 NCAA bid, and this season attendance was down and Bradley had their worst season since Eisenhower was President. :rolleyes:

Hey, man...whatever makes you feel better about yourself.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Now the problem is who do you hire to replace him who will actually stay there nine seasons?

Hersey Hawkins?

Storming the court in a game that you were favored in. I'm fine with the whole way that the game went, but UNC fans looked stupid storming the court. And don't give me the "It was a game for the ACC title against a rival" argument because if Duke won that type of game the Cameron Crazies wouldn't have stormed the court. I've seen them do it once on a last second shot against VA tech. If UNC made that type of shot or something I would get it, but the game was never really close. It just made no sense.

In 2005 Duke fans stormed the court after beating Virginia Tech after a Sean Dockery buzzer-beater. Virginia Tech went on to go 4-12 in the ACC. Don't give me that crap.

That's a buzzer beater, it's acceptable. Don't give me that crap.

There's a great game going on for the SoCon Championship. Last year's player of the year Noah Dahlman and Wofford against this year's player of the year Andrew Goudelock and College of Charleston. Goudelock's also the 4th leading scorer in the country this year. Watching these smaller conference tournament games are really fun.

The West Coast Conference championship is going on now was well. To the delight of all the bubble teams, Gonzaga is playing St. Mary's, so it's the first conference championship game where both teams will make it to the NCAA Tournament.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

That's a buzzer beater, it's acceptable. Don't give me that crap.

What was the line that night? Wait, that game was at Duke. so there was no way that a then 5-2 VT team could be favored over a 6-0 Duke team. The game had 17 lead changes and 12 ties, so don't talk about the comeback.

Now the problem is who do you hire to replace him who will actually stay there nine seasons?

Hersey Hawkins?

Les' predecessor Jim Molinari came in as this supposed hot coach on the rise who would bolt for bigger and better things in 3 years. He ended up staying for 12. Bradley has historically been reasonably slow on the trigger, and underperformed just enough to dim the luster of "hot" coaches to fend off elite suitors. That said, there's enough local basketball talent that Bradley could probably easily hover around the top 50 of programs in the country if they could just get a lockdown on said talent. Maybe not Gonzaga, Butler, or Xavier on the sliding scale of midmajor programs, but on that next tier.

And I think the hope would be to get somebody with modest coaching experience, unlike Les when he was hired.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Hersey Hawkins?

Les' predecessor Jim Molinari came in as this supposed hot coach on the rise who would bolt for bigger and better things in 3 years. He ended up staying for 12. Bradley has historically been reasonably slow on the trigger, and underperformed just enough to dim the luster of "hot" coaches to fend off elite suitors. That said, there's enough local basketball talent that Bradley could probably easily hover around the top 50 of programs in the country if they could just get a lockdown on said talent. Maybe not Gonzaga, Butler, or Xavier on the sliding scale of midmajor programs, but on that next tier.

And I think the hope would be to get somebody with modest coaching experience, unlike Les when he was hired.

Not saying that these are two names on their list of candidates, are Wayne or Sergio McClain on your list or the list of any other Bradley/Peoria based fans?

Hersey Hawkins?

Not saying that these are two names on their list of candidates, are Wayne or Sergio McClain on your list or the list of any other Bradley/Peoria based fans?

Wayne? Yes (For others at least...I think he's been gone from Manual long enough that Bradley wouldn't get much of a recruiting bump from him.)

Sergio? No

My gut feeling is that Bradley will either hire a current local high school coach (not likely) or go completely out of the Bradley/Peoria "family" to get a coach (much more likely). A lot depends on how much Bradley has available to spend and (related to that) how much the alumni need placating, because while the exact terms of Les' buyout haven't been publicized, most people who might have an inkling are estimating it was around $1 million.

Today, we are all otaku.

^^^^ I asked since I really did not know who they wanted/who they could afford. The Les buyout is one thing, but getting a coach at current market value is another issue for the school with assistance from alumni/boosters. I may talk to a former colleague who is still at Bradley about this now, but I think I will wait until the Final Four and the coaches conference occurs to reach out to him.

The associate/main assistant in a major program w/ "ties" to the area, an assistant within the conference, the local coach with local ties, a coach on the rise, and who else are really in the category for this job?

To all: Do we need/desire a NCAA basketball coach rumor thread?

Archived