Columbus Blue Jackets Third Jersey News?

nash61

If this were the fifties there would be a million teams that had uniforms similar to this with a logo in circle and no one would bat an eye.

If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle. This isn't the 1950s. There are thirty teams making thirty marketing efforts. Times demand doing more than slapping a circle on a navy sweater, don't they?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm watching a replay of the Jackets/Wings game right now, and can't decide which jerseys are worse. The Jackets or Panthers.

The cream colors are ugly on jerseys. And now these are 2 teams removing the red that is in their logo from their third jersey, so it looks like the jersey isn't even the right teams.

If they replaced the cream with red, I'd like it a little more. But it will still be more shades of blue with circle logos as per the regular.

Are the people desiging these lazy? Copycats? Handcuffed by Reebok? All of the above?

2ly2w09.jpg

If this were the fifties there would be a million teams that had uniforms similar to this with a logo in circle and no one would bat an eye.

According to the mothership these were the NHL logos to hit the ice in the 1950s.

228.gif236.gif237.gif6627.gif

253-1.gif124-3.gif260.gif6797.gif201-1.gif

One team out of six, one team, wore the logo in the circle style sweater crest, and they abandoned it midway through the decade. In fact, before the recent fauxback trend started, the only other NHL team to use that style of crest was Pittsburgh, who wore it between 1968-71. So, again before the recent trend, the NHL never had more then one team at any one time wearing this style of logo.

Its a nice looking uniform. Who cares if its not original.

A uniform is the centrepiece of a team's visual identity. Looking like three other teams undermines a team's ability to successfully brand themselves as a unique entity. Why can't they look nice and original? They've been doing it since the EDGE changeover. Number/name font aside, their current primary set is quite nice, and distinct from the two other red, white, and blue primary sets in the league.

A better argument would be to look at 1990.

18 of 21 teams used the "rounded shoulder" template.

6 of those 18 colored in the shoulder part, and therefore looked kind of alike.

2 more of those 18 (Pens and Detroit) colored in the part below the shoulder part, and looked relatively similar to the other 6 because you could clearly make out the template.

1 of the 3 teams that didn't use the rounded shoulder (the Rangers) was reallllllly close.

I can understand the "that's how a hockey sweater is supposed to look dammit!!!" argument, but I really disagree with it. If you're like me (and if you're on these forums, you can't be too far off, IR41 and Old School Vikings not withstanding), you appreciate original tasteful design, and when designers take chances, and when teams try to create brands that work for them and separate them from the pack.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'm watching the Wings/Jackets game right now, so some thoughts on the thirds: Overall the sweaters are alright, but the "vintage white" just makes them look dirty. The problem is, if the shoulder yokes were white they'd look too much like the old Tampa Bay sweaters. The logo looks awful. All they need to do to fix these things is use actual white, put some red on them, and use the team's primary logo.

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

A better argument would be to look at 1990.

18 of 21 teams used the "rounded shoulder" template.

6 of those 18 colored in the shoulder part, and therefore looked kind of alike.

2 more of those 18 (Pens and Detroit) colored in the part below the shoulder part, and looked relatively similar to the other 6 because you could clearly make out the template.

1 of the 3 teams that didn't use the rounded shoulder (the Rangers) was reallllllly close.

I can understand the "that's how a hockey sweater is supposed to look dammit!!!" argument, but I really disagree with it. If you're like me (and if you're on these forums, you can't be too far off, IR41 and Old School Vikings not withstanding), you appreciate original tasteful design, and when designers take chances, and when teams try to create brands that work for them and separate them from the pack.

Don't forget that every team used horizontal stripe(s) on the waist.

I don't like the absence of red, but I love the jerseys overall. The crest is gorgeous and if that number font would eventually replace Copperplate on the home and road, I'd be thrilled.

RuffDawg,

Do you root for the Browns, Indians, Cavs, Leafs and Buckeyes? If so, awsome! Those are my teams, as well.

I like it. Looks good. It puts the Florida jersey to shame. Comparing it to that because it has a circular logo is insulting.

What about the double blue, similar colour placements, and similar pants striping?

I like it. Looks good. It puts the Florida jersey to shame. Comparing it to that because it has a circular logo is insulting.

What about the double blue, similar colour placements, and similar pants striping?

Double blue

Florida: Light blue has never been part of their uniforms and red which was their primary colour for the bigger part of their history is not featured at all.

Columbus: Their alt is predominantly navy which has ever been their primary colour and the shade of blue they added makes a lot of sense if you consider this.

Similar colour placements

Florida: The sleeves are pretty much 50% light blue along with light blue shoulders while white is only used as an outline.

Columbus: Steel blue is minimally used in a group of stripes that also feature off-white which is pretty much the secondary colour and silver.

Similar pants striping

Florida: 80's athletic shorts?

Columbus: Traditional hockey pants vertical stripe.

Double blue

Florida: Light blue has never been part of their uniforms and red which was their primary colour for the bigger part of their history is not featured at all.

Columbus: Their alt is predominantly navy which has ever been their primary colour and the shade of blue they added makes a lot of sense if you consider this.

The second shade of blue has never been used by the Jackets in their ten year history. I can appreciate the attempt at historical accuracy, but if they were going to go that route they should done that ten years ago. You can't just introduce a new colour ten years in.

Similar colour placements

Florida: The sleeves are pretty much 50% light blue along with light blue shoulders while white is only used as an outline.

Columbus: Steel blue is minimally used in a group of stripes that also feature off-white which is pretty much the secondary colour and silver.

Both sweaters are navy with light blue and white striping.

Both pants are navy with bold white stripes running down the side.

The similarities far outweigh the differences, especially to less discerning people then the ones who frequent this site. You know, the majority of the two fanbases. You bring up some valid points of divergence between the two designs, but you're kidding yourself if you think the two designs are unrelated. They're both using the same basic design and flavour of the month colourscheme (well the NHL's five years late, but that's par for the course for them) as well as using the same basic faux-retro look.

The Blue Jackets thirds were probably inspired by the Panthers, but I think they definitely improved upon it the second time. The striping isn't as dorky. The colors are more of their own (seriously when your name has "Blue" in it, you're allowed to wear whatever shades of blue you want, in my eyes), and the royal blue isn't an obvious attempt to glom onto an opponent's alternate jersey. The Panthers jerseys look like low grade fake-o jerseys you find in a discount store. The Blue Jackets' thirds look like something a real team actually wears.

I don't like the third jersey better than our regular home and road, though I really want to see the blue pants with either set, but I think the third uniform is a marked improvement on what Florida was going for.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The Blue Jackets thirds were probably inspired by the Panthers, but I think they definitely improved upon it the second time. The striping isn't as dorky. The colors are more of their own (seriously when your name has "Blue" in it, you're allowed to wear whatever shades of blue you want, in my eyes), and the royal blue isn't an obvious attempt to glom onto an opponent's alternate jersey. The Panthers jerseys look like low grade fake-o jerseys you find in a discount store. The Blue Jackets' thirds look like something a real team actually wears.

I don't like the third jersey better than our regular home and road, though I really want to see the blue pants with either set, but I think the third uniform is a marked improvement on what Florida was going for.

My thoughts exactly. The Panthers alternate is looking like a cheap knockoff. Light blue which is omnipresent doesn't belong in their scheme at all, the striping looks utterly cheap, the pants look ridiculous and the sun/FLA patches everywhere are incredibly bad.

You can't just introduce a new colour ten years in.

I'd imagine that the owner of the team, seeing as he owns the team, can do just that.

Especially if this colour fits with his team identity which is the case considering the historical link between the name of his team and this shade of blue.

I'd imagine that the owner of the team, seeing as he owns the team, can do just that.

Well he can, but that doesn't preclude him from ridicule for his decision. Case in point, see the Florida Panthers and their alternates.

Especially if this colour fits with his team identity which is the case considering the historical link between the name of his team and this shade of blue.

Again, if they were going to go that route they should have done that ten years ago instead of that lime green nonsense. Had they done the two-tone blue colour scheme ten years ago they could have claimed the historical link and beat out the double blue fad by years, making it their own. Instead, despite the historical link, the introduction of the lighter blue now comes off as an attempt to cash in on the same fad the Panthers tried to cash in on last season.

Also, the historical link is damaged with the use of silver. Silver wasn't used on Civil War-era Union uniforms. If they were trying to emulate the Union Civil War uniform they could have used either bronze or gold in place of silver for greater effect.

Not only would it have differentiated the sweater from Florida's, but it would have also made the sweater seem like less of a cash-in on the flavour of the month colour scheme.

Again, if they were going to go that route they should have done that ten years ago instead of that lime green nonsense. Had they done the two-tone blue colour scheme ten years ago they could have claimed the historical link and beat out the double blue fad by years, making it their own. Instead, despite the historical link, the introduction of the lighter blue now comes off as an attempt to cash in on the same fad the Panthers tried to cash in on last season.

Also, the historical link is damaged with the use of silver. Silver wasn't used on Civil War-era Union uniforms. If they were trying to emulate the Union Civil War uniform they could have used either bronze or gold in place of silver for greater effect.

Not only would it have differentiated the sweater from Florida's, but it would have also made the sweater seem like less of a cash-in on the flavour of the month colour scheme.

Ice Cap you are forgetting that both the Blue Jackets original logo and secondary logos from 2000-2004 did in fact feature two tones of blue. Are the light blues the same shade? Hard to tell but they're pretty close (Comparison below). This is why I don't have a problem with the two tone scheme. It's a nice nod to the teams early days without going off the deep end and bringing back that gaudy lime colour. I do agree that the jersey does seem like a cheap attempt to cash in on the fad not because of the blue but because of the disappointing circle logo. I was really hoping that cannon would stand on its own as a jersey crest and inject some originality to the league. The vintage white needs to go too.

4573.gif

wrt43ei5p9yr8luzhy2nzrg.gif

By morgouxbridge at 2010-12-01

Ice Cap you are forgetting that both the Blue Jackets original logo and secondary logos from 2000-2004 did in fact feature two tones of blue. Are the light blues the same shade? Hard to tell but they're pretty close (Comparison below). This is why I don't have a problem with the two tone scheme. It's a nice nod to the teams early days without going off the deep end and bringing back that gaudy lime colour.

They never used the double blue in their uniforms, and that particular logo was never used on a sweater in any capacity.

Archived