Columbus Blue Jackets Third Jersey News?

nash61

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They never used the double blue in their uniforms, and that particular logo was never used on a sweater in any capacity.

The half body stinger never was, but this logo features a lighter blue.

2681752_f260.jpg

actually in the early years, there was a lot of merchandise that was royal blue instead of navy.

I don't understand your argument though. "Teams can't just add a color ten years in". What? It happens literally every year in sports. Teams change colors, they add colors. The Pittsburgh Pirates added red, the Miami Dolphins added dark blue, the Hornets added yellow. The Phoenix Coyotes were green and black and switched their entire set to brick red. This is just an alternate. I get that it looks like Florida and has hopped on the double blue bandwagon, but that's why you dislike it. Not because they added a color that they didn't have in 2000.

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks the new royal blue is an attempt to connect the team with Nationwide insurance on the ice. The color looks awfully similar to their logo.

PvO6ZWJ.png

You know, if that were a black jersey, instead of navy, it'd make an awfully nice look for the Lightning. (Obviously with their logo instead of the cannon.)

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks the new royal blue is an attempt to connect the team with Nationwide insurance on the ice. The color looks awfully similar to their logo.

Thank you for answering the "where have I seen that blue before?" that was nagging in my head from the day they revealed the jersey. I doubt that's the reason but nothing shocks me these days.

RuffDawg,

Do you root for the Browns, Indians, Cavs, Leafs and Buckeyes? If so, awsome! Those are my teams, as well.

I certainly do, hence the quick and dirty mash-up that is my avatar. By association, I'll also root for the Jackets being the "home" team (I'm a closer drive to Detroit than Columbus but it'll be a cold day in Hell before I'm cheering a Michigan team).

teamlogossig.png

There comes a point when you don't stand for the constant heartbreak anymore, and walk away.

I don't understand your argument though. "Teams can't just add a color ten years in". What? It happens literally every year in sports. Teams change colors, they add colors. The Pittsburgh Pirates added red, the Miami Dolphins added dark blue, the Hornets added yellow. The Phoenix Coyotes were green and black and switched their entire set to brick red. This is just an alternate. I get that it looks like Florida and has hopped on the double blue bandwagon, but that's why you dislike it. Not because they added a color that they didn't have in 2000.

It's both the ten years in thing and the bandwagon thing. They added the colour ten years in to jump on the bandwagon.

Yes teams add new colours all the time. If they wanted to add the second, lighter blue to the uniform set then redesign the entire look to incorporate it. Don't add a colour to the alternate that's not present in the primary set. It's exactly what the Panthers did, adding a lighter blue to their alternates not used anywhere else in their uniform set. Not only did these two teams add a second blue not present in the primary look to the alternate, but they did so in an attempt to cash in on a fad five years behind the times.

It's both the ten years in thing and the bandwagon thing. They added the colour ten years in to jump on the bandwagon.

Yes teams add new colours all the time. If they wanted to add the second, lighter blue to the uniform set then redesign the entire look to incorporate it. Don't add a colour to the alternate that's not present in the primary set. It's exactly what the Panthers did, adding a lighter blue to their alternates not used anywhere else in their uniform set. Not only did these two teams add a second blue not present in the primary look to the alternate, but they did so in an attempt to cash in on a fad five years behind the times.

I don't see what is wrong with that.

They never used the double blue in their uniforms, and that particular logo was never used on a sweater in any capacity.

The half body stinger never was, but this logo features a lighter blue.

2681752_f260.jpg

actually in the early years, there was a lot of merchandise that was royal blue instead of navy.

It's making me absolutely out of my mind to not have the new Blue Jackets thirds' colors (yet), but I'm fairly certain as to what it is. It's not a typical "Royal Blue"; in fact, they call it 'Steel Blue" which makes me think (and based on photographic evidence) that it is this:

ColumbusBlueJacketsSteelBlue_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

This is also the same "Steel Blue" that the Avalanche uses - and for that matter, the same one that the Capitals USED to use.

I'll come back and either confirm or correct this post once I get the actual value.

EDIT: I just thought of something - this particular color was the original proposed primary color for the Blue Jackets when they were first awarded a franchise. They modified the Blue to Navy before ever taking the ice.

Ice Cap you are forgetting that both the Blue Jackets original logo and secondary logos from 2000-2004 did in fact feature two tones of blue. Are the light blues the same shade? Hard to tell but they're pretty close (Comparison below). This is why I don't have a problem with the two tone scheme. It's a nice nod to the teams early days without going off the deep end and bringing back that gaudy lime colour.

I realise the full bug logo was never used on a sweater in any capacity im just saying that the lighter blue was still a part of their identity. It was featured on the Stinger head shoulder patches until 2004 and don't forget that the full stinger logo was originally going to be their main crest.

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this 'cause someone here (and you know who you are) sent me the official file:

ColumbusBlueJackets_ALT1_2011-9999.png

Note: I was correct about the shade of "Steel Blue" used here...think Colorado Avalanche Steel Blue (same color).

The third jersey schedule has been removed from Bluejackets.com. The players chose to wear their regular home uniforms last night in what was supposed to be a third jersey uniform game and the reason cited was superstition. Also, according to Columbus Dispatch writer Aaron Portzline the new cannon/silver dong/crippled beercan is going to be making fewer appearances and could be gone by next season. Let's hope these things go the way of the mooterus/wildwing/burger king.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The third jersey schedule has been removed from Bluejackets.com. The players chose to wear their regular home uniforms last night in what was supposed to be a third jersey uniform game and the reason cited was superstition. Also, according to Columbus Dispatch writer Aaron Portzline the new cannon/silver dong/crippled beercan is going to be making fewer appearances and could be gone by next season. Let's hope these things go the way of the mooterus/wildwing/burger king.

Oh my. So what we're saying is I'm about to have a collectors item? :P

6fQjS3M.png

I'm in the process of putting together an RGB-optimized graphic retrospective of all of the Blue Jackets' logos. Including the marks with the original colors (different Blue and Red).

I'll have it up soon.

I dont think these new jerseys should be lumped into the same category as the Stars Mooterus and Especially not the Ducks Wildwing. I can appreciate that alot of people dont like the trendy circle logo and two tone blue scheme but there are far worse jerseys seeing action in the NHL right now (Flames and Oilers come to mind). Also dropping them out of superstition is a pretty weak excuse in my books. Its the players that win games not the jerseys.

Bumping this 'cause someone here (and you know who you are) sent me the official file:

ColumbusBlueJackets_ALT1_2011-9999.png

Note: I was correct about the shade of "Steel Blue" used here...think Colorado Avalanche Steel Blue (same color).

That cannon, with a white outline, would have looked great all by itself on the front of a jersey. Goodbye and good riddance to the amalgalm of poor design choices that was the Blue Jackets' third jersey.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I like the idea behind a cannon logo. The one they went with, however, just seems underwhelming. It's a fine picture of a cannon, but not a very good sports logo.

Unless the sports team in question happens to be a small town football/soccer team in Britain. They seem to like this bland design style :rolleyes:

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Archived