Buc's Pro-Combatized NFL

tBBP

Well, since y'all done decided to bring this thread on back to the forefront...I suppose Imma gon' and update it for y'all. :P I was going to wait for Davidson to finish updating and uploading that new template he was working on with editable gloves and cleats, then update all the rest of mine on that temp--but what the heck, I got two of those AFC sets done, so here they are:

SAN DIEGO CHARGERS - long ago I did an illustrator concept for this team, seen here, here, here, and here. You can see in there what my vision was...drafted that onto this Pro Combat thing, but with a couple changes. I get the idea of a "(thunder)storm trooper" in my head when I think of how I'd like the Chargers to look. Well, check it out:

SDchargers_PChome.png

SDchargers_PChome2.png

SDchargers_PCroad.png

SDchargers_PCroad2.png

-----------------------------------------------------------

CINCINNATI BENGALS - Not exactly "wild" here, but then, I'm a big fan of the previous-era look. This is somewhat of a cross between that and the current sets, minus the dropshadowed DIN numbers. In place is a number font I feel they should be using, since it comes right off their current "proprietary font" as is.

CINbengals_PChome.png

CINbengals_PCroad2.png

CINbengals_PCroad.png

CINbengals_PChome2.png

CINbengals_PCalt.png

-------------------------------------------

So there's that for now...and yes, I do intend to keep these coming. Stay tuned.

~Buc

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

It's that time again, folks.

When last I left you, we were kinda taking a walk on the AFC not-so-wild side. Think Imma pick it up from there...with a lil' more old school mixed in.

----------------------------------------------------------------

PITTSBURGH STEELERS - this one was a bit tricky. Many people have done Steelers concepts; I had to figure out a way to make this one unique, infuse some modern flair, but without overdoing it (this is Pittsburgh, after all). Had the idea to use diamondplate and a new "steel" color as trim--but very subtly, so as to help enhance but not overpower the overall aesthetic. I like and actually prefer the italicized Futura numbers for the Steelers--they're practically identified by those now--so I updated them a bit, but infused pieces of the 1962 throwback set into this concept. Oh, and I tried my hand at an updated logo too. (I actually probably should do a stand-alone Illustrator concept for this team...started to, but never finished.) Check it out...

PITsteelers_NPC.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------

KANSAS CITY CHIEFS - okay...this one might catch some folks by surprise. I got REAL ambitious with this one here, and yet still had to actually rein myself in on it; as such, it isn't 100% what I wanted to put out, but pretty daggone close. To start with, I'd been working for the longest time on a new direction for the Chiefs...and finally it all came together for me. You might note a bit more "western" flair, and an Iroquois influence, with this--the team IS called the "Chiefs", after all. That said, the helmet idea isn't mine; I got it from someone who posted a similar helmet concept on these parts some years ago. (You'll see what I did.) Kept the red and yellow...but added a new color I call "burnt black", which is actually a really dark brown. You might also notice the wampum belt pattern on the sleeves--wampum belts were originally worn/carried by the Iroquois people as a means of identifying oneself, telling stories, or sending messages amongst each other, via the symbols woven into the belts. Took a stab at a new arrowhead logo, as well. Check me out...

KCchiefs_NPC.png

---------------------------------------------------------------

NEW YORK GIANTS - this one shoulda went with my NFC old school serving...but here it go, anyway. Team's nicknamed "Big Blue", so I stuck to that theme (didn't use it as the motto, though). Barebones basic, no frills, just pure authentic old-school aesthetics...

NYgiants_NPC.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------

CLEVELAND BROWNS - this may be like the fourth or fifth Browns concept I've done around these parts. Wanted to change it up justasmidgeon so I wasn't a near-replica of the current Browns set. Emphasis: more brown, more orange. I really liked the brown pants look for the Browns when they still had them--good change of pace when worn with white socks. Actually, I have Josh Cribbs to thank for the sock/sleeve idea on this one. Numbers come from my most recent Browns concept.

CLEbrowns_NPC.png

------------------------------------------------------------------

That's where I'm at for now...thirteen out of thirty-two.

For those curious, I did go back and update the rest of these on the new display you see above...look for those on my soon-to-come online portfolio here in about another month or two. In the meantime, all C&C is welcome and appreciated...holla at me!

~Buc

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

I love that Chargers helmet. I wonder what it'd look like reversed, with blue bolts on a white helmet.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

How in the HEYALL did I not see this thread until now?!?

I couldn't possibly give my C&C for all of these at this point, but suffice to say that about half of these are exactly how I would have did them if I had your talents, and the other half are on another level that's ridiculously beyond anything I could've came up with.

Although I will say a few words about the Packers concept since you gave me the shoutout (although to be fair, Gothamite was posting that pic everywhere before it became associated with me :D):

GBpackers_PChome.png

GBpackers_PCaway.png

(I started to go with "Lambeau Legends" as the tagline, but the NFL's championship is named after Lombardi, Green Bay may as well be NFL's "titletown", so I figured the one I used would aso be appropriate.)

This is seriously my dream Packers set. Most of the Packers concepts here are so unambitious due to the prevailing feeling that their unis are untouchable, but these take care of everything that I feel is wrong with their current look (disappearing sleeve stripes, "G" instead of "GB"). And since you used the interlocking GB that Lombardi introduced, it make the "Lombardi Spirit" tag that much more appropriate (and the address of Lambeau Field is 1265 Lombardi Ave, so it still refers to the stadium. The only thing I might do differently is make a blue set since I feel that any third/alt uni the Packers have must feature a blue jersey. But since it looks like the unis in this series would, in theory, replace the primaries that every team uses now, that may not be necessary. Either way, this has been one of my favorite series in a long time!

The Steelers is awesome, from the logo to the uniforms. Perfect, wish I thought of it.

The Chiefs is ALMOST there, it's definitely something unique and the headdress and incorporation of brown is executed very well. Something about the font is killing it for me though.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

'Preciate the feedback thus far.

Erik...you came to the same conclusion I did. That Chiefs concept didn't quite turn out fully the way i expected, but it's still pretty daggone close. What is it you think is holding it back? I'm still tryna figure it out myself.

@ illwauk - remember a long time ago I got at you about collab'ing on a Packers concept? I never was able to get back to you on that, but I been paying very close attention to your and Gothamite's comments/thoughts about the Packers...which helped birth this concept here. I came close to adding some dark blue trim to that set...but then thought better of it and decided to let the green and gold stand on its own.

@ Kev...if I can remember, I may try to mock up that idea of yours. The lightning effects won't show up on there too well, but I'll try to see what's up.

I'm still at work churning out the rest of the sets for this series. Imma actually try to finish this one out...the first other than those World Cup sigs I'd be able to say that about. Anyone got anything else to add...I'm all for it.

~Buc

@ illwauk - remember a long time ago I got at you about collab'ing on a Packers concept? I never was able to get back to you on that, but I been paying very close attention to your and Gothamite's comments/thoughts about the Packers...which helped birth this concept here. I came close to adding some dark blue trim to that set...but then thought better of it and decided to let the green and gold stand on its own.

Ah, so we did collab after all :D

In that case, would it be asking too much to see a navy blue alt with a logo-less helmet? It would be an excuse to use the "Lambeau Legends" tag.

These are looking great. I love the Chiefs and Steelers concepts.

But I have a couple of questions regarding the Browns though. You switched the colors on the helmet striping... why? Was it like you said, to change things up so it wasn't just like the current set? If so, that's understandable. I love the new set of pants, especially bringing the orange back. The other question I have is about the logo. With the Steelers new logo you added a P, basically highlighting the city OVER the franchise name. Why not do the same with a new Browns logo (as in replace the block B with a C)? Just wondering because I haven't seen many concepts for this team that brought any emphasis on the city.

Beautiful concepts... absolutely stunning. I really hope this is the way Nike goes (although to be honest, I'd like to see Green Bay stay a little truer to their current).

My intention certainly isn't to hijack this thread with my own creations, but this felt like the logical place to post -- I did a quick and dirty Lions mock, but it pretty much works for me and I can only hope Nike takes it this direction. For the love of God, lose the black. Keep it simple, and I'll be happy, happy dude. I was never a big fan of that newer, stylized lion... so I simply reinstated the older one. Buc, I'd love to see your take on it.

lions-home.jpg

Again, amazing concepts. Quite like the Saints! Keep up the great work..

Oh gosh...the Lions. It's gon' be a minute before you see a concept for them from me...I been tryna figure out for YEARS how to go about doing a progressive Lions concept. But I finally figured out the Chiefs; perhaps the Lions take is to come.

@Akronite...to be honest, the only reason I stuck that <=B=> logo on the Browns concept is because the helmet graphic I have sucks. :P I didn't want to use the dog (as I understand it, that's only intended to be a fan logo), so that won out by default.

BB, Jay...them Dirty Birds coming soon. Imma try to figure out a way to get at it that hasn't yet been done, though.

Buc, perhaps black is too emphasized in the Chiefs. I've never liked it in their logo, and you seemed to use it a lot, on the helmet especially. I think that might make it look a bit more cluttered. The font in the KC logo just isn't doing it for me either, maybe it's too small or too robotic. I've been staring at it for a while trying to figure out what's bothering me, I think those may be it.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

Your Bears, Rams, and Chargers concepts are MONEY. To some respects I hope the NFL allows some creativity in the Nike redesign.

On a separate note, and I would PM you if I could, but would you be willing to help me with a ProCombatization of my fantasy football team?

Archived