Colorado Avalanche

Nick 1733

Do you think the Avalanche have a chance to win 4 in a row?  

48 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sadly, I think the end is near for the Avs. The way the Sharks have played is enough for me to put them in the Stanley Cup Finals this year, if not winning the whole thing. I think the Avs might win one or two more, but I highly doubt the series will go beyond six games. :cry:

ya gotta have faith. and i got faith that they can and will find a way to turn the tide. you can't count on there being a next year with Bettman and the union dragging their feet all the way to the last minute...geez.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I've begged this question before, but why do people call them the Avs?

In '96 I watched almost every playoff game and lots of regular season ones and I swear, early on.........the TV people called them Lanche.

I understand the desire to affectionately name teams. I also understand that particularly in hockey....you must be able to bust in down to one syllable. Hawks, Wings, Pens, Leafs, Isles, Caps, Ning....etc.

But I also thought I remember the play by play guys saying during a game quite a while ago, that the team itself wanted to be called Avs? I swear I heard that...so they promised to not call the Lanche anymore.

Well darnit. Lanche sounds cooler. It doesnt follow the formula maybe that the other teams use, but thats part of why it just made sense. And moreover, it doesn't matter. You can't pick what your called. You get to officially name yourself, thats it. Not regulate how fans distort that for their own purposes. "Umm, you can't call us G-Men. You can call us by the legal name New York Giants or by just Giants or the following approved nicknames........."

It's like, did you ever have a friend who picked his own nickname? Or tried to assign one to you? Doesn't work. It's just got to happen. I'd much rather be called Ace or Maverick or something......but that's not up to me.

And Avs isn't happening on its own. Its no more or less a word than lanche....but....I digress.

More to the point, no. They can't come back. If it were a past year, and this was some kind of first round egg laid at home 2-0 or something........maybe. But San Jose is just hot, playing well....looking like a team to beat.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

I like Avs way more than Lanche, main reason it's plural. I don't mind the singularity of Avalanche, but to have a plural nickname can fill in when a singular name sounds dumb. Like when you say "Peter Forsberg and Joe Sakic are a couple of Avs who've been a big part of the team's success thus far." Saying "Peter Forsberg and Joe Sakic are a couple of Avalanche who've..." just doesn't sound right.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

I like Avs way more than Lanche, main reason it's plural. I don't mind the singularity of Avalanche, but to have a plural nickname can fill in when a singular name sounds dumb. Like when you say "Peter Forsberg and Joe Sakic are a couple of Avs who've been a big part of the team's success thus far." Saying "Peter Forsberg and Joe Sakic are a couple of Avalanche who've..." just doesn't sound right.

Then I would just say that "Forsberg and Sakic are a couple of players who have contributed to the Avalanche's success."

I hate the Avalanche. From their stupid burgundy uniforms (What the **** does burgundy have to do with snow?) to their two-timing turncoats Kariya and Selanne. And also to the fact that they are one of The 3 (4 if you want to count that year Dallas finally broke through).

The only thing I like about them is their intro song.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Agreed with SyPhi here. The whole point of calling the Colorado Avalanche the Avs is to create a simple, plural name for the team. Cutting the name down from Avalanche to Lanche doesn't solve that problem at all. It just makes people think, "What the hell is a Lanche?" Same for the Lightning, whom Sterling seems to like to call the Ning. Again, that doesn't solve the plurality problem. Bolts? Excellent. Ning? Doesn't even tell you anything about the team.

One thing that bugs me though, is when TV announcers refer to teams the have non-S names in the singular form when it doesn't seem right to do so. For example, when I hear the name Minnesota Wild, I think of Wild as being an adjective describing the members of the team, not a noun. So when a play-by-play guy says, "The Wild is one of the most exciting teams to watch when Marian Gaborik is healthy," I get wierded. They never say "The Islanders is a crappily organized team wearing crappy orange jerseys." Is? Are, I say.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

I hate that as well. "Wild are" sounds much, much better. It's a more Canadian/European way of doing it, mind you.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Of course they can do it. I have no favorites in this series, but why not? I'd never count the Blues out of a 0-3 hole. NEVER. The Avs are easily one of the best teams. If the Sharks can win three in a row, then so can the Avs I say. Then it all comes down to one game, and there's no reason to favor one team over the other.

No way in Hell Colorado will pull it off, the Sharks are for real this year. Your probably looking at the next Stanley Cup Champs.

However if your a diehard Avalanche fan, don't look at it like they have to win 4 in a row.... Think of it as if they have to win just ONE in a row..... FOUR TIMES!!! :D

"Can the avalanche come back?"

That's a good joke :lol:

Even though its been done before, Nabokov is pullin saves out of his rear end, and that'll get you all the way to the Cup in the NHL

the sharks seem to have IT this season.plus its 3-0/ who would have thought that the Avs, with Karyia, Selannie and all them would finihs up like this? I was thinking they would make the conference finals at least. Props to teh sharks for all they've done so far. what else can you expect for the team with the most Canadians ont he roster? :D:flagcanada:

I'm not the only one who says Ning. I've heard some dork on sportscenter say "Ning Dynasty" before. And bolts is better, but also used for the Chargers.

I understand Avs give you plural in the more uniform ends in "s" context. But all plural words dont end in s and are plural none-the-less. Its not my fault they named the team what they did. You dont see the Heat adding "s" or Stanford either. It just doesn't make any sense.

Back to the topic at hand.....big win for the Lan.......I mean, .......good job Colorado. Delayed the hangman for at least a couple days.

We'll see if it matters.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

Archived