NHL Guardian Project

nash61

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From PhillyReign.com:

When his powers are needed, the citizens of Long Island shine his symbol in to the night sky.

Problem is, he has yet to report...

Damn I was really hoping to see a roided up Gorton Fisherman.

Me too.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

For those wondering, the All-Star Game is just the beginning for the Guardians. Rumor has it that each Guardian will get his own comic book, they will share a graphic novel series, there will be a series of children's novels, as well as an animated TV series and a feature film.

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

For those wondering, the All-Star Game is just the beginning for the Guardians. Rumor has it that each Guardian will get his own comic book, they will share a graphic novel series, there will be a series of children's novels, as well as an animated TV series and a feature film.

Joy. I hope youre being sarcastic.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

I'm not. :shocked:

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

That sounds atrocious. I was really excited about this project (My son is four, and firmly embedded in his superhero phase - the Fantastic Four and the Super Hero Squad have taken over bedtime reading for Pooh and the gang). I was hoping that this would help get him more interested in hockey, (I'll be taking him to his first Canucks game next year) but thirty different comic books? Some of the guardians are cool, but even my boy thinks a superhero who's primary power is to spray oil is stupid, and neither of us can get excited to follow the adventures of a super tree. I don't see the animated series lasting long, nor any of this really, but I imagine there will be some tie-ins with other younger titles like the Super Hero Squad. Maybe some of the characters who aren't already complete ripoffs of other Marvel characters (which doesn't leave many) will be absorbed into other series if they get popular enough.

Truth be told, I just want a few action figures, the Canuck and the Blackhawk, though the boy really wants one of the Wild and the Sabre.

At any rate, I don't see this lasting past the off-season - Probably a big push for Free Comic Day in May, where they give out comics aimed at young kids. I don't see the appeal for this for anyone over eight or nine, but I can attest that for the younger kids it's pretty darned effective.

nhl94vansigpng.png

Are we supposed to be surprised? It's the NHL trying to make money. If you're not purchasing any of the said items, what's the harm in the series?

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Are we supposed to be surprised? It's the NHL trying to make money. If you're not purchasing any of the said items, what's the harm in the series?

Personally if they came out with a Capital action figure, I may just buy it as a collectors item. But thats it.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Time to sell my Marvel stock.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The Thrasher: Magneto

The Islander: Juggernaut

The Blue: Nightcrawler

oh, we're playing already, are we? I wonder how many I can get -

Penguin - cyclops/frozone

King - Mad Max

Hurricane - Storm

Blackhawk - Iron Man

Sabre - Iceman

Flyer - Archangel

Oiler - makes a better Juggernaut than Islander

Wild - Beast

Canadien - Cobra Commander/Iron Patriot

Red Wing - some sort of robotech/Axel from Twisted Metal hybrid

Coyote - bastard lovechild of Gambit and Wolverine

Avalanche - Mr. Freeze

Maple Leaf - the Thing, if the Thing were also a tree

Panther - Black Panther

Islander - looks more like Bane to me

Blue - Ghost Rider

Duck - Silver Surfer

The thrasher reminds me of the Voltron pilots for some reason, and I know I've seen some Japanamation thingy that looked just like the Blue Jacket. I was going to put Human torch for the Flame, but other than the powers, there aren't any similarities. If I did that, I could have used Thor on the Lightning.

I haven't been a comic book geek for very long, though, maybe some of you others with more knowledge of the DC Universe might do better at filling in the rest.

Mark it 17, dude.

nhl94vansigpng.png

Say what you want about these, but if the NHL does plan to further promote these, it's brilliant.

Yes, it's cheesy, but the NHL needs to do stuff like this. If this stuff reaches the children's market, think about how many young people it could lead to hockey. You don't think all comics are at least a little cheesy? We just accept some of them, and some of them have been turned into super badass movies and such. But at their core, they're cartoons with special powers.

I remember when I was getting into the NFL (so it was about 95 when the Rams moved.. these cards may have been a year or two earlier, though, because I think it said LA on the Rams card), there was a set of trading cards. I can't remember if they were distributed through McDonald's or something else, but they were grid-iron monsters or something. It was actual NFL players dressed up in themed and team related costumes. It was stupid as all hell. But I was like 7 and I ate that stuff up.

This Guardians thing is already way cooler than that and it has way more potential. As adults we might laugh at it all and consider it then NHL just continuing to be the little brother of the major leagues, but I think this could be a great initiative if they really expand on it. In fact, whether or not they do more with it is the deciding factor. If it's a one-month project aimed at adults, then it's just stupid. But if it's a whole series of projects targeted mostly at kids... it's awesome really.

Say what you want about these, but if the NHL does plan to further promote these, it's brilliant.

Yes, it's cheesy, but the NHL needs to do stuff like this. If this stuff reaches the children's market, think about how many young people it could lead to hockey. You don't think all comics are at least a little cheesy? We just accept some of them, and some of them have been turned into super badass movies and such. But at their core, they're cartoons with special powers.

I remember when I was getting into the NFL (so it was about 95 when the Rams moved.. these cards may have been a year or two earlier, though, because I think it said LA on the Rams card), there was a set of trading cards. I can't remember if they were distributed through McDonald's or something else, but they were grid-iron monsters or something. It was actual NFL players dressed up in themed and team related costumes. It was stupid as all hell. But I was like 7 and I ate that stuff up.

This Guardians thing is already way cooler than that and it has way more potential. As adults we might laugh at it all and consider it then NHL just continuing to be the little brother of the major leagues, but I think this could be a great initiative if they really expand on it. In fact, whether or not they do more with it is the deciding factor. If it's a one-month project aimed at adults, then it's just stupid. But if it's a whole series of projects targeted mostly at kids... it's awesome really.

monsters of the grid-iron and coca-cola :D

i have at least 1 full set of those somewhere in my house. i was an obsessed little sports/halloween fan. that's what this project reminds me of, too... and it's annoying to see so many hockey fans all over the internet be "too cool" for this. it's a kids thing, and it's harmless.

but since we're on that topic, more of monsters of the grid-iron :D

http://bigdunc.blogspot.com/2009/10/monsters-of-gridiron.html

i remember being so young for these that i wasn't entirely sure what a jaguar was... these cards were the first time i heard that the panthers or the jaguars were going to exist, and they had the original unused jags logo and color set that i adore so much (probably due to nostalgia and these cards in the first place.)

for anyone arguing against the guardians as a tool to make hockey more popular, i'm not buying your denial.

i was a nerdy little kid, granted... but i'd say that monsters of the gridiron not only made me into more of a football fan, but more of a sports fan in general.

This place is becoming like every movie forum on teh interwhebs. Just say something blows, then try and be clever in disparaging the whole thing.

Yes, some of these are awful, but the idea is sound and there are a few really flippin' cool ones in this mix.

Waiting for this place to be renamed AintItCoolLogos.com

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Truth be told, I just want a few action figures, the Canuck and the Blackhawk, though the boy really wants one of the Wild and the Sabre.

There's the key right there. If the kids want them, it's a success, and as others have said since, there was a time I would have jumped on this (Marvel's Secret Wars comes to mind).

I've already stated that I like the animal-themed ones best, so I had some hopes the Panthers one would be decent, but... it's fine (despite possibly being the biggest ripoff yet). Using the alt colors and logo is unfortunate, and I don't know why it's not a golden panther -- maybe it is under the mask? :) It does look more like the Carolina Panthers than the Florida Panthers.

Anyway, for good measure, I'm late joining in on the fun, but if they had to go black panther, this always first in my mind:

B0000024JV.01-1.MAIN._SX300_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

L.L. is even wearing ALL of the Panthers colors. Add that hat and coat to the chain the panther is already wearing and you're set.

Yikes. I'd hate to be part of the creative team working on thirty issues all at once. The Animated series could be fun in a way, while the film will probably be some generic crap about a ragtag bunch of kids banding together and defeating Devin Dark through the secret power of Believing In Theirselves™, and thus ruining the image of the entire NHL instead of just one team. :P

I have a fairly similar story as to how I became a hockey fan. Or rather, a sports fan at all. See, I live in a football (soccer) obsessed nation, and failed to develop an interest in the sport when I was a kid. Then in '97, Mighty Ducks The Animated Series appeared on TV. The fact that it had super cool superheroes with super hockey powers, and the leader wearing a really cool mask made ice hockey out to be awesomer than, say, soccer. Then in 2003 I picked up NHL Hitz 2002 for the GameCube, instantly recognised the Ducks logo, and just as instantly became a fan for life. :lol:

And that's pretty much what the NHL is doing with the Guardian Project now. Mighty Ducks The Animated Series all over again, except league-wide, and hoping to attract young fans through brand recognition.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Archived