AFC and NFC Championship trophies?

sportsfan0518

They're horrible. Give me the Archie Bunker's place ashtrays any day over this nonsense. We don't have to hold on to everything from the past, but I wish the NFL could evolve a little more gradually.

I never thought I'd miss Paul Tagliabue.

Many consider Tagliabue one of the best sports commissioners ever. He did a lot of positive things for the NFL.

They're horrible. Give me the Archie Bunker's place ashtrays any day over this nonsense. We don't have to hold on to everything from the past, but I wish the NFL could evolve a little more gradually.

Many consider Tagliabue one of the best sports commissioners ever. He did a lot of positive things for the NFL.

How many of those people are actually associated with the sport?

The Pro Football Hall of Fame voters sure don't think very highly of him. Neither do the owners.

I think the new trophies suck, although I wasn't the biggest fan of the old ones.

Here is an obscure thought. In all press conferences for both games they have the two helmets on a table laid out around the trophy. However, the home team's helmet is on the left and the road team is on the right. Of course, it is traditional (at least in American sports) for the home team's name/logo/helmet to be placed either on the right of the road team or underneath. Since both home teams' helmets are on the left, it clearly wasn't random. I wonder why they did it like that.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I think the new trophies suck, although I wasn't the biggest fan of the old ones.

Here is an obscure thought. In all press conferences for both games they have the two helmets on a table laid out around the trophy. However, the home team's helmet is on the left and the road team is on the right. Of course, it is traditional (at least in American sports) for the home team's name/logo/helmet to be placed either on the right of the road team or underneath. Since both home teams' helmets are on the left, it clearly wasn't random. I wonder why they did it like that.

Possibly because of the Steelers logo being only on the right side of their helmet.

Possibly because of the Steelers logo being only on the right side of their helmet.

Good answer. I guess they did the Bears/Packers like that so it matched.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Ugh. NHL, never change your trophies. The world does not need more of THIS crap.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I like the new trophies myself, though I do think they could have been somehow a little more dynamic in their execution. Anything was better than those awkward-ass old things they used up through last season. And if the base of this trophy is solid silver like I think it is, it definitely weighs a more than two pounds.

Disagree. The old trophies were excellent.

How? It was a 1970s-looking block of wood with some chrome on it, a 3D conference logo, with a billboard-esque representation of some football players behind it. It really couldn't get any more ugly or awkward-looking if you tried to ruin it. Even the 'NFC Champions' engraving looks bush league, like it was done at the local shop.

As-a-Chicagoan-I-am-reverent-in-the-presence-of-the-George-Halas-Trophy-1024x768.jpg

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I like the new trophies myself, though I do think they could have been somehow a little more dynamic in their execution. Anything was better than those awkward-ass old things they used up through last season. And if the base of this trophy is solid silver like I think it is, it definitely weighs a more than two pounds.

How? It was a 1970s-looking block of wood with some chrome on it, a 3D conference logo, with a billboard-esque representation of some football players behind it. It really couldn't get any more ugly or awkward-looking if you tried to ruin it. Even the 'NFC Champions' engraving looks bush league, like it was done at the local shop.

As-a-Chicagoan-I-am-reverent-in-the-presence-of-the-George-Halas-Trophy-1024x768.jpg

I completely agree, I don't see what was so great about this or what people liked about it. Just because something is older doesn't necessarily make it an untouchable classic. I find the new conference championship trophies to be leaps and bounds better than this.

How many of those people are actually associated with the sport?

The Pro Football Hall of Fame voters sure don't think very highly of him. Neither do the owners.

Why, because the greedy ass owners couldn't make another dime during his tenure?

Lamar_Hunt_trophy.jpg

Yea, no... i liked the original trophies. Just use the new logos on those, and bring them back.

It'd look much better if there was glass shaping the entire "curve" of the football in the gaps.

Of course, the NFL could just stop pretending like pro football didn't exist before the merger and use the respective per-merger AFL and NFL Championship trophies:

AFL_Trophies_630.jpg

thorp1.jpg

I always liked the Thorp Trophy. It has a "Prince of Wales Trophy" feel to it.

Having that and the old AFL Championship Trophy work as conference trophies is a really sharp idea. Not in todays NFL though, Illi, you know that. The only trophies the NFL has ever had are the Halas, Hunt, and Lombardi! :rolleyes:

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I completely agree, I don't see what was so great about this or what people liked about it. Just because something is older doesn't necessarily make it an untouchable classic. I find the new conference championship trophies to be leaps and bounds better than this.

I guess what I really liked about these trophies, even if they were a block of wood, were the football player engravings behind it. It made it seem Ancient Roman gladiator-esque, and for all the frequent references (accurate or not) to gladiators, it felt really appropriate. Following along with the gladiator theme, very accomplished gladiators were given a rudis - a wooden sword, as a symbol of their legacy and that they were now freed from their servitude in the arena.

galaxy.png

I think these trophies would have been all right if the arcs forming the footballs had some heft to them. As they are the cross section of the arcs is flat, like a ribbon. If they were thick and dimensional, with maybe a triangular cross section or something, they would have looked and felt much more substantial. Also looked strange to see Terry Bradshaw lifting it with one hand by the base to present it to the Packers.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I always thought that these trophy's sucked but the new ones look like something that is given out to an arena football team.

Archived