Thing I miss in sports

RETROJR79

NHL:

-When the boards and ice weren't completely full of advertising (the Rangers even have digital adverts on the glass for the fans watching at home)

-Wooden sticks

-Patrick, Adams, Norris and Smythe Divisions

-Not seeing Nike and Reebok equipment, but instead seeing hockey specific brands like Jofa, Winwell, Koho, Titan, Sherwood, Cooper, Tackla, etc.

-Organ music instead of stupid Gary Glitter after a goal is scored

-60-goal scorers

-Hull and Oates

MLB:

-Fat Players

-Less adverts in the outfield (I'm looking right at you new Yankee Stadium)

-Bob Sheppard's intros at Yankee Stadium

NFL:

-Quarterbacks being able to be hit

-Seeing players without dreadlocks

All Sports:

-Not knowing how much players made and what douchebags they were off the field/court/ice

-Not having the offical *fill in the blank* of league/team

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

-Not seeing Nike and Reebok equipment, but instead seeing hockey specific brands like Jofa, Winwell, Koho, Titan, Sherwood, Cooper, Tackla, etc.

I hear ya. I miss brands like Brians's, Heaton, Koho, and CCM. As a goalie now you're pretty much stuck with Louisville or Vaughn if you don't want to wear Reebok.

Gary Thorne and Bill Clement calling NHL games on ESPN or ABC.

Hockey without the trapezoid

These! And

The IHL -San Francisco Spiders

RHI fun hockey alternative in the summer

Replica jerseys that didn't cost an arm and a leg, which were quality items not like the Reebok screened crap

tn_CoorsDog.jpgSharks_signature.jpgtn_five_hole_design_logo_copy.jpg

I hear ya. I miss brands like Brians's, Heaton, Koho, and CCM. As a goalie now you're pretty much stuck with Louisville or Vaughn if you don't want to wear Reebok.

I still have my old heaton glove, ccm pads, koho chest protector and heaton pants.

Remember when CCM and Cooper were seperate companies?

I still have my old heaton glove, ccm pads, koho chest protector and heaton pants.

For inline hockey I use my dads old Cooper gloves from the 80's or 90's that had tie up laces. I actually prefer them to the new warrior/reebok/mission/Easton gloves that they sell now.

sport-scarf_celtic-2_zps105bfcbf.png

Can't forget John Brown for goalie gear! Whenever I think of Brian's I think of Ed Belfour on the Blackhawks.

I miss my old D&R Gloves!

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

CCM and Cooper are separate companies.

Here's how it breaks down

Adidas owns Reebok, CCM, Jofa, and Koho (the latter two are not used for branding anymore)

Bauer owns Cooper, Mission, and Itech (none of which are used for branding anymore)

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

Can't forget John Brown for goalie gear! Whenever I think of Brian's I think of Ed Belfour on the Blackhawks.

I think of Trevor Kidd myself.

history_kidd.jpg

24kidd.jpg

Those are almost as nice as the sets Felix Potvin and Marty Brodeur had.

429845973Zbshst_ph-1.jpg

brodeur.jpg

That's the thing with goalie pad manufacturers today. You don't see fun patterns like you used to. Everything's stock.

CCM and Cooper are separate companies.

Here's how it breaks down

Adidas owns Reebok, CCM, Jofa, and Koho (the latter two are not used for branding anymore)

Bauer owns Cooper, Mission, and Itech (none of which are used for branding anymore)

Crap that's what I meant... when bauer and cooper were seperate... I brain farted and said ccm..

Candlestick Park "Big Beer"

fans300x382.JPG

I have been LOVING the old clips to MNF, NBA on NBC, etc... with digital technology it would be really easy to re-create these for MNF this year. I'd love to see some games filmed in "old" filters so they look like they did in the 70s, 80s. Like the new iPhone apps where you can do this with photos. That would be pretty awesome.

timmy.png

• 2 years later...

MLB umpires divided up by league.

MLB umpires wearing coats and ties

AL umpires wearing red blazers, and their NL counterparts wearing blue ones

AL umpires wearing chest protectors outside their uniforms

Pitchers going the distance, instead of the "quality start" nonsense being tossed around.

MLB players wearing their game jerseys during batting practice

NFL players being allowed to celebrate without threats of being fined by the Commissioner

NFL commissioners (viz Rozelle and Tagliabue) not micro-managing

MLB players wearing windbreakers and not hoodies in the dugout when the weather is cool/cold

NCAA football games ending in a tie

The Packers playing one or two games a season in Milwaukee

NFL coaches other than Tom Landry wearing coats and ties

MLB managers wearing the same jersey as their players,instead of short-sleeve windbreakers

The death of classic rivalries in NCAAF due to realignment and money.

Nebraska-Oklahoma

Nebraska-Kansas (one of the longest uninterrupted series in the sport)

Kansas-Missouri

Texas-Texas A&M

Many others...

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Archived