Thing I miss in sports

RETROJR79

I forgot Alcoa's Fantastic Finishes shown on NBC football games at the 2 minute warning.

Didn't Alcoa also do a "You make the call" segment?

IBM presents....You Make the call!!

Good call Rambulance I completley forgot You make the call segment. I know they did it for MLB I didn't know they made one for NFL.

Well done! Now it's come back to me.

Thanks!

sig-1.png

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This logo was too good to be a one-off.

hamilton2.png

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Each NBA team having their own warm ups.

Watching the Lakers vs. Celtics with those famous warm-ups reminds me of why I started liking basketball as a kid.

now everyone just wears the company line Adidas stuff. Its a microcosm for this big-business society we live in, and its worse.

This.

Black boots in soccer;

Pat Summerall and John Madden calling football games.;

ABA era multi colored basketballs;

fun celebrations in all sports;

players seeing out careers with one team except maybe one last year on a basement team;

madly idiosincratic uniforms like the Nuggets skyline or Astros stripey thing;

The Patriots in red (yes yes I know it's not historically accurate, but for my money, that was a better look for the Patriots).

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I just caught the tail end of the 2003 World Series on ESPN Classic... which reminds me that I'm going to miss the MLB on FOX theme (the original one, not the :censored:ed-up one they mainly used in recent years), if it is indeed gone for good.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

NHL teams wearing the whites at home.

Even though I've gotten use to it by now, I agree. I miss home teams wearing white unless it was a weekend game where the thirds were out.

I also miss National Hockey Night on ESPN, just for the theme alone.

baltimoreravens.png

I miss pitchers' parks in the AL. I'm digging how HRs are down and realism may be returning to HR totals. As a mostly AL fan, I find it annoying that there are really only 2 or 3 pitchers' parks in the whole 14-team league. I'd say you have Safeco, Oakland and Target. That's it. The others are simply varying degrees of hitters' parks...sad. Is my nostalgia misguided? I thought Comerica had a chance to be a real pitcher's park, but then they caved to Juan Gone's crying...

I miss pitchers' parks in the AL. I'm digging how HRs are down and realism may be returning to HR totals. As a mostly AL fan, I find it annoying that there are really only 2 or 3 pitchers' parks in the whole 14-team league. I'd say you have Safeco, Oakland and Target. That's it. The others are simply varying degrees of hitters' parks...sad. Is my nostalgia misguided? I thought Comerica had a chance to be a real pitcher's park, but then they caved to Juan Gone's crying...

I'd say Comerica's still a definite pitchers' park, just not as much as it once was.

Also, the Trop and Angel Stadium actually are better pitchers' parks than people think they are.

1923 1927 1928 1932 1936 1937 1938 1939 1941 1943 1947 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1956 1958 1961 1962 1977 1978 1996 1998 1999 2000 2009

I'd say Comerica's still a definite pitchers' park, just not as much as it once was.

Also, the Trop and Angel Stadium actually are better pitchers' parks than people think they are.

I'll give you Angels Stadium. Not sure about the Trop. I forgot Kaufman stadium. You could make an argument for that, too. But the league is severely tilted towards hitters' parks. The entire AL East is pretty much arcade baseball now.

I forgot Alcoa's Fantastic Finishes shown on NBC football games at the 2 minute warning.

Beat me to it.

http://adland.tv/commercials/alcoa-fantastic-finishes-alcoa-cant-wait-aluminum-cans-1983-060-usa

Also, NBC's Game of The Week. Enjoy...

After seeing that I gotta say that its a damn shame that NBC does not have an MLB TV contract! =/

BTW

The Angels logo looked naked without the ball and id missed the old Anaheim Stadium.

those seem to be contradicting

ABC Monday Night Baseball

MLB on NBC

MLB on CBS

7th innings strech

NFL on TNT

Where don't they do the 7th inning stretch anymore? They've done it at every MLB game I've been to.

LOL Not the real thing I meant the 7th inning stretch segment that NBC used to do! =)

ABC Monday Night Baseball

MLB on NBC

MLB on CBS

7th innings strech

NFL on TNT

Interesting. I've always thought that CBS did a horrible job with baseball.

True but compared to FOX & The Baseball Network CBS wasn't that bad.

Archived