Thing I miss in sports

RETROJR79

For Nascar -

Rockingham Speedway (just searching for this video gave me nostalgia

)

It's the Winston Cup, Busch Series, and Craftsman Truck Series god damn it! Not these gay little Sprint Cup, Nationwide Series, and Camping World Truck Series

The only good thing that has happened to the Busch Series during Overlord Brian France's reign of evil is the Mexico City Races, God those were awesome, too bad they got cancelled. The Southern 500 needs to be on Labor Day Sunday, not freakin Atlanta (allthough it is better than California!) The old style of broadcasting needs to be brought back. I feel that 2002-2004 was the best years of Nascar history. I do like the addition of Kentucky to the schedule though, it's got a different feel than the other cookie-cutter tracks.

Signature.png

TrophyCase-1.png

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Blues winning.

The old (true) IHL.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I miss the days when the Jazz were not only consistently winning, but were considered threats in the West and actually put up a fight late in the season. I'm optimistic about the future, but the Jazz team I remember from my childhood is LONG gone.

Going along with that, I miss the days when the Jazz could actually beat the Lakers.

I also, strangely, really miss the Seattle SuperSonics. Being a Jazz fan all my life, the Sonics were a constant, us being sort-of rivals. Sure sometimes they could annoy the hell out of me, but dang, I respected those guys. Now it just seems weird not having them around. I really hope Seattle gets a team again.

And lastly, I miss the NBA on NBC. During my childhood, that WAS basketball. Aside from Jazz games on the local KJZZ channel, NBC was the only station I'd watch basketball on. I loved it.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

The old (true) IHL.

Seconded. I'm waiting for the day (if it ever comes) for the AHL to put teams out west, a new, AAA-level IHL equivalent, or even an alternate league (ala the UFL for the NHL) for non-NHL markets.

I have to join in the IHL nostalgia. The Utah Grizzlies winning the Turner Cup in there first season in SLC? So cool.

Agreed. Did you know that one of their Turner Cup Finals games outdrew a Florida Panthers' Stanley Cup Finals home game? I believe that attendance was somewhere in the 17,000s--a US minor-league hockey record.

The Braves on TBS.

NFL Sunday Ticket available to pretty much everyone and cheap. Thanks, DirecTV.

Names of arenas like The Omni, The Summit, and The Pond; names of stadiums like Jack Murphy and Joe Robbie and Jacobs Field.

I have to join in the IHL nostalgia. The Utah Grizzlies winning the Turner Cup in there first season in SLC? So cool.

And that was the year following the Grizzlies' Turner Cup win in their only year in Denver.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The old (true) IHL.

Seconded. I'm waiting for the day (if it ever comes) for the AHL to put teams out west, a new, AAA-level IHL equivalent, or even an alternate league (ala the UFL for the NHL) for non-NHL markets.

Agreed. Did you know that one of their Turner Cup Finals games outdrew a Florida Panthers' Stanley Cup Finals home game? I believe that attendance was somewhere in the 17,000s--a US minor-league hockey record.

The Phantoms had 21 or 22 sell outs of over 17,000, and one game of well over 19,000 in a larger arena.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The original NBA on CBS intro:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7iijHjJxFI

Also ... the One-on-One competition that was shown at halftime when ABC had the NBA in the '70s:

Thats even better than Roundball Rock

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I miss the days when the Jazz were not only consistently winning, but were considered threats in the West and actually put up a fight late in the season. I'm optimistic about the future, but the Jazz team I remember from my childhood is LONG gone.

Going along with that, I miss the days when the Jazz could actually beat the Lakers.

I also, strangely, really miss the Seattle SuperSonics. Being a Jazz fan all my life, the Sonics were a constant, us being sort-of rivals. Sure sometimes they could annoy the hell out of me, but dang, I respected those guys. Now it just seems weird not having them around. I really hope Seattle gets a team again.

And lastly, I miss the NBA on NBC. During my childhood, that WAS basketball. Aside from Jazz games on the local KJZZ channel, NBC was the only station I'd watch basketball on. I loved it.

Man, I totally agree on every point. I was exactly the same.

The NBA in the 90's was faaaaantastic.

Yeah, I did know that, actually. The Delta Center could pack them in. The E-Center (if it's still called that) is a nice arena, but I always preferred the Delta Center (I know the name's different now, but don't know what it is). The lighting was much brighter as I recall.

The Grizzlies winning the Turner Cup was also came as some consolation for me since the Wings were eliminated in the conference finals by the filth.

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

In on the IHL! First hockey game I ever went to was a Indianapolis Ice game. It was Ray LeBlanc Day at the (now) Pepsi Coliseum at the Indianapolis Fairgrounds and I remember thinking that place was so HUGE! Now I go for Roller Derby or Indiana Ice games and I realize how small that place is.

Anyway, if you don't remember Ray LeBlanc was the goalie for the 92 US olympic team. Since he was a member of the Ice at the time they made a big deal out of him.

Loved this logo:

indianapolis_ice_1993.gif

Its so awful but I still love it!

The old (true) IHL.

Ah, the "true" IHL. The old "Iron League" of the 70's and early 80's. Teams like Saginaw, Fort Wayne, Flint, Peoria, Kalamazoo, and of course my home town Toledo Goaldiggers. Those were the days.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived