NHL Redesigns by bohob

bohob

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm probably alone on this, but I really like brown as a colour, and think that there needs to be moreof it in sports logos/jerseys.

This would be a good identity...screams "Texas" to me.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

I'm probably alone on this, but I really like brown as a colour, and think that there needs to be moreof it in sports logos/jerseys.

I know it screams "Texas". And I guess that's kind of why I'm not that much into it. The Stars are just about the only major pro sports team in Texas that doesn't try to go full out "Texan" and I like that. I'm just more into the current Green, Gold, and Black. It just fits the team and doesn't try to scream "Texas". I never thought I'd say this, but we have enough of that already....

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

Hmm, late to this party--don't know why I missed it on some previous swings through here.

Here are a few comments on a variety (But not every) concept thus far. (Since I can't yet comment on the ones you haven't posted...)

Tampa--pretty close to what they later did--did they "borrow" from you? If they did, they missed something, as theirs are a bit plain, and yours isn't.

Calgary--I like the jersey design--it updates the Heritage Classic look--which I too, like. However I think the road jerseys would look better with the sleeve stripes reversed (Yellow & red stripes reversed). As to the logos--the horse head is way above what they had--especially without a mane--but yours could be a bit more streamlined.

I'm not feeling the "C" however---it looks too square & bulky, almost has a clumsy hammer look--That's what thought popped into my head. And the Flames look like they're dying out--instead of burning brightly & hot.

Los Angeles--like the ideas, but I don't like the piping too much, as it distracts from the rest of the jersey. It looks like it was just tossed in, but otherwise--I like it.

Montreal--I miss the red shoulders on the white jerseys--to me, that says Montreal as much as the chest stripe on the red jerseys.

I would keep that look for the road jerseys and use the white with the chest stripe as an alt--or vice versa--or work it in somehow.

FOr the alts--they remind me of some of the NY American unis.

New Jersey-Red, green and black that evenly is a bit busy and jarring to me. I like their red & black look. Other than that--they are good.

Switching the devil heads for the secondary logos made sense due to the folklore for the name.

Dallas-I get the comment that they liked the Stars didn't try to make it "Texas" and they were from Texas--but I like what you've done--it stands out in a good way. I did a similar coloured concept for a football league--but this one is better than what I came up with--but the colour scheme is similar. However I do like the first socks better for this uni.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I'm not a huge fan of the Stars set. Don't get me wrong, the design of the logo is top-notch, and the D in the skull looks nice, but not too in your face. My problem with the set, though, is that it's just too "generic Texas". Personally I would either keep the old colors with this new design, or keep the new colors (which I know you have great preference for) and go with a more classic Stars design. Right now it looks like you took a fairly classic team and made it western for the sake of western.

I think if you relegated the bull skull logo to a sleeve patch and made the primary logo a star, possibly retaining the northward arrow, the look would be much cleaner and much less "generic Texas". That with a block number font and a sans-serif typeface (or even Cowboys-esque block) would give the look a much more classic feel while still giving the Stars a new, refreshing change of identity.

As for the alternate with the horizontal text, although an unpopular opinion, I like it. Yes it isn't traditional in the Rangers/Penguins sense, but if you look back much earlier to teams like Toronto St.Pats, Detroit Cougars/Falcons, New York Americans, even the early Bruins, the horizontal text is just as classic as the diagonal text, although it obviously didn't have the same longevity and/or "tradition".

TDZiMMB.png

.:: UPDATE #9-2: DALLAS STARS ALTERNATE UNIFORM ::.

Ok, so I have two options, and I would like the CCSLC to vote on which they prefer. Option 1 is pretty much the same as the last alternate I posted, but with the off-white tweaked to match the logo updates, and Option 2 uses the Texas logo instead on a number on the chest. I don't want to be "that guy" and start a poll, so please vote by commenting with your preference.

stars_altuni1.jpg

stars_altuni2.jpg

C&C please.

Why not make the Texas-outline logo bigger and splash the wordmark across it? It'd be a huge improvement, if only because the Dallas Stars are not a collegiate team and can thus afford a real logo on their jerseys.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

And have you considered a font closer to the Texas Rangers'? It gives the Western vibe without being so... soft-looking.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

I know it screams "Texas". And I guess that's kind of why I'm not that much into it. The Stars are just about the only major pro sports team in Texas that doesn't try to go full out "Texan" and I like that. I'm just more into the current Green, Gold, and Black. It just fits the team and doesn't try to scream "Texas". I never thought I'd say this, but we have enough of that already....

Cowboys, Rangers, Texans, Rockets, Aeros, Spurs, Mavericks, Astros...I guess you're right.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

I like the original concept and also the tweaks. But I saw nothing wrong with the colors to begin with. The brown works well in this case because the brown/black cream combo says "western", which is what you wanted anyway. I really think that this was a very solid offering on all fronts. Great job!

spacer.png  5-time Defending NL East Champions spacer.png 

Daggone, Bowen...you done snapped on 'em this time, didn't you??

Overall, I really like this here. Now let me pick it apart, if I may...

...Likes: the overall color scheme. If a rarely-used primary color (green) had to go, this is a great replacement set of colors. If nothing else, its defintely unique to pro sports. Also, I like that primary logo you came up with, as well. Someone else came up with a Stars logo concept similar to yours some time back (can't remember who, though), but that doesn't take away from yours, though. As much as I like the color scheme overall, the alternate set makes the best use of it (as it should be, in my mind.)

My main gripe about this set--and really, its my only one--has to do with the typography. Both wordmark and numbers could stand to use an outline or two in this set, especially when the stripes/hems on the jerseys and socks have as much stripe detail as they do. It'll also help distinguish them much more. The other thing is this--and its something I'm starting to notice with several of your concepts: at times, the wordmarks/numbers appear a bit too cartoony. With this particular set, I'd work the numbers, at least, a little more so that they seem a bit more, well, "pro". You might even look at possibly going with a more standard block in this particular instance.

Overall, this is definitely a distinctove identity here, and given a few tweaks, that alt has the potential to overtake your Sharks alt as my favorite of the lot.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

.:: UPDATE #9-3: DALLAS STARS FINALIZED (I THINK) ::.

First off, thanks Buc for the in depth critique; I always enjoy hearing your thoughts on my work. I incorporated some of what you said, especially with the number typeface. I was hesitant to do this at first, since I had already done a few westernized block typefaces, but a few people mentioned the western numbers I had were too cartoony, so I created a western block typeface based on the Patriots numbers. In addition, I added two outlines to the number to match the logo more. The alternate striping is also updated, and I went with number #2 as a base. Aci, while I respect your opinion, I think that the wordmark over logo treatment provides a little variety in the leaguewide landscape of jerseys with logos on the front.

stars_id3.jpg

stars_homeuni3.jpg

stars_awayuni3.jpg

stars_altuni3.jpg

Now that's what I'm talking about there...MUCH better. On the dark jerseys, the numbers give off a "shining sun" effect; on the roads, the black trimmed in brown/cream give off a "cattle-brand" effect. If that ain't Texas, I don't know what is.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

MU#T@FVC<!N double post!

The logos and jersey designs are great but losing the green is a big mistake in my not so humble opinion. Especially since their only Cup was won in a primarily green uniform. These are still good but replacing that rust with green would make them even better.

Archived