2012 MLB & Logo Changes

marlinfan

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meanwhile, the "vocal majority" want brown/gold back in a tasteful way like this:

barfieldgiles76ms6.jpg

Wow, those are really nice. A perfect looks for the Padres, IMO. When did they break those out?

I think it was 2006, wearing 1976 uni's.

I'm not saying copy that set, but modernize it. I wouldn't do paneled caps for starters.

So they'll make their color scheme blander, and revert to a logo that's far less professional-looking than one they already had, but grossly underutilized. Makes sense to me.

How does this look "unprofessional"? It was already a professional logo for 15 years (30 if you want to include the 90's version).

Should have clicked on my link, which is the post-1984 Swingin' Friar.

That logo is unprofessional because it's a cartoonist's doodle, which was fine in the '70s, but doesn't pass muster now. Modern logos need to be cleaner than that. And the wordmark font is straight out of the credits for "The Rockford Files." That iteration of the Friar had its time. Its time is no more.

But since ColorWerx said that's not going to be the new primary, the point is rendered moot, anyway. Kindly put your hands together for your 2012 San Diego Essdees.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

So since the Pads are due to unveil their set in oh, say 7 minutes or so, where are we supposed to go to see such an unveiling?

There's nothing on their site about this - how do we know it's tonight?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Only the Padres could screw up such a clear-cut decision. Instead of fiddling with concentrations of sand and grey again, just get rid of it all, bring back brown and yellow, and never change the color scheme again. Simple.

Read the article, it's not that simple. The majority of their fans don't want brown back and are quite happy with blue. It's only a small but vocal minority who want brown back. This is a nice compromise between the blue and brown eras.

But I doubt the majority of their fans want the team to look like Yankees ripoffs, either.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

So since the Pads are due to unveil their set in oh, say 7 minutes or so, where are we supposed to go to see such an unveiling?

There's nothing on their site about this - how do we know it's tonight?

https://twitter.com/...383698110988291

While it may be true, that's still not anything coming from the team.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Two things: Official info here on where and when: Padres.com @ 7:30 eastern time https://twitter.com/...420185376497666

Also, should this have its own thread now that they're about to go live and it doesn't get mixed in with all the speculation posts?

Not to be a dick (really), but even that's not official info from the team. There's nothing at all on their website - wouldn't they be promoting an event where they plan to release tons of new merch?

Two things: Official info here on where and when: Padres.com @ 7:30 eastern time https://twitter.com/...420185376497666

Also, should this have its own thread now that they're about to go live and it doesn't get mixed in with all the speculation posts?

Not to be a dick (really), but even that's not official info from the team. There's nothing at all on their website - wouldn't they be promoting an event where they plan to release tons of new merch?

Understand where you're coming from. Even I'm surprised at the complete lack of hype. But then again, there's THIS ...? Everything leans to that they're actually doing it tonight, despite the team's lack of announcement. That tweet from the guy named Dan Hayes (writer of San Diego sports) says he's physically there awaiting the launch in about 15 minutes and that he will post pictures. Strange way to do a launch if you ask me.

It's also the Padres who draw 20k if they are lucky half the time the stadium is half full with fans from the other team.

You'd think that would be even more reason to hype up new merch and gear... so they can increase their merch revenues while their ticket sales might not be the best.

It's also the Padres who draw 20k if they are lucky half the time the stadium is half full with fans from the other team.

You'd think that would be even more reason to hype up new merch and gear... so they can increase their merch revenues while their ticket sales might not be the best.

Merch revenues go to the league, but hype would still be a good idea.

That's not very fair. First of all, San Diego draws more fans than the other notorious low attendance teams. Second, TONS of San Diego citizens come from somewhere else. The concentration of military Vets that live there is greater than any other city. So yes, there are lots of fans from other teams. But the Padres still have a nice turnout and their military promotions bring even more fans to the ballpark. Let's not put this team in the same category as the Marlins.

Only the Padres could screw up such a clear-cut decision. Instead of fiddling with concentrations of sand and grey again, just get rid of it all, bring back brown and yellow, and never change the color scheme again. Simple.

Read the article, it's not that simple. The majority of their fans don't want brown back and are quite happy with blue. It's only a small but vocal minority who want brown back. This is a nice compromise between the blue and brown eras.

But I doubt the majority of their fans want the team to look like Yankees ripoffs, either.

Why not? The Yankees look is classic and is the look of champions. The Pads could use some mojo like that. And that assumes you think anything that is a darker blue and white immediately is a Yankees ripoff, which I don't.

The Padres use a lighter shade of blue and lack pinstripes. Even if they strip down their look to just blue, white, and grey they'll still be distinct from the Yankees. I'm cautiously optimistic. They could be MLB's version of the Toronto Maple Leafs or Indianapolis Colts.

All I ask is that they stick with whatever look they unveil for a solid decade and a half.

Why not? The Yankees look is classic and is the look of champions.

It's also the Yankees' look, and not the Padres'.

And yeah, it wouldn't be exactly the same, but with a navy, white-logoed cap, a navy and white home uniform, and something similar to the current roads, it will still be too close for comfort to the Yankees and Tigers if it looks like what I'm fearing it will look like.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Archived