2012 MLB & Logo Changes

marlinfan

November 15-16, Milwaukee.

A fitting setting to events considering its the site of the last franchise to switch leagues. The Astros will be the next, with a sale to Jim Crane to be officially approved then. For $50 million, he will agree to move the Astros to the AL West, balancing both leagues and setting up year round inter-league play. All of this would take effect in 2013.

You may ask why is this posted here?!?

Cause for a new league, I'm hearing that won't be the only change for the Astros. New league, New era (youth movement), New look.

NYCdog.png

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

November 15-16, Milwaukee.

A fitting setting to events considering its the site of the last franchise to switch leagues. The Astros will be the next, with a sale to Jim Crane to be officially approved then. For $50 million, he will agree to move the Astros to the AL West, balancing both leagues and setting up year round inter-league play. All of this would take effect in 2013.

You may ask why is this posted here?!?

Cause for a new league, I'm hearing that won't be the only change for the Astros. New league, New era (youth movement), New look.

where's this coming from? All of the people in the know locally (Richard Justice & Alyson Footer chief among them) said Crane REALLY likes the current set and has no intention of changing it.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Prepare to be disappointed.

Unofficial team slogan, San Diego Padres. 1969-present.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Is the AL move actually happening? I haven't heard anything about it actually happening on the web.

If so, it means major realignment. Interleague baseball every single day.

Also means a new logo for both the American and National League

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Is the AL move actually happening? I haven't heard anything about it actually happening on the web.

Why's that? Are there special meanings in the current logos that reflect 16 and 14 teams respectively?

The NL shield has sixteen stars, not sure if the AL's has fourteen.

I hope this doesn't happen. Someone has to intervene at the last minute. I wonder if Dustin Hoffman is a 'stros fan.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Yeah, there is no compelling reason at all saying the leagues have to be balanced. Exactly one team is getting screwed - the Texas Rangers, for having their entire division two time zones behind. It sucks to be them, but they can live with it. I want less interleague play, not more.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Doubt that. They didn't get new logos during the last realignment.

The AL didn't get a new logo during the last realignment because they kept the same amount of teams. Tampa Bay came in, Milwaukee went out.

The NL did change its logo during the last rounds of expansion, according to the mothership.

Up to 1992, the shield had twelve stars:

1984.gif

In 1993, two stars were added, representing Colorado and Florida:

1982.gif

In 1998, two more stars were added to reflect Arizona and Milwaukee joining the league:

1980.gif

Tf the leagues realign, we'll see similar minor changes to the logos.

Yeah, there is no compelling reason at all saying the leagues have to be balanced. Exactly one team is getting screwed - the Texas Rangers, for having their entire division two time zones behind. It sucks to be them, but they can live with it. I want less interleague play, not more.

Actually, the minimum number of interleague games would be less than what is being played now. 21 teams would play 9 games and 9 teams would play 12 games. Of course, they would make it 12 across the board to be even, and of course they'd play more than 12. But technically, it doesn't increase the number of interleague games, it only spreads them out over the course of the entire season rather than a couple clumps. It would only increase if the MLB wants it to. I personally would rather it go away, but it's not, so I'd rather see them go 15/15 (but not Houston switching) with a minimum number of interleague games.

Actually, the minimum number of interleague games would be less than what is being played now. 21 teams would play 9 games and 9 teams would play 12 games. Of course, they would make it 12 across the board to be even, and of course they'd play more than 12. But technically, it doesn't increase the number of interleague games, it only spreads them out over the course of the entire season rather than a couple clumps. It would only increase if the MLB wants it to. I personally would rather it go away, but it's not, so I'd rather see them go 15/15 (but not Houston switching) with a minimum number of interleague games.

I know that one of the proposals had less interleague games than currently, but I hate that it's spread over the entire year.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

There actually is one and its that currently there's 4 divisions with 5 teams, 1 with 6 and one with 4. Its fundamentally unfair for some times to have more or less teams they are competing with for a division crown than others. I'd be happy if they did away with interleague play completely but as long as they're going to do it this realignment should be done. As an aside if they truly are separate leagues why do they need to have the same playoff structure? Why can't the NL have 4 divisions of 4 teams with just the division champs making the playoffs while the AL keeps a wildcard if it remains 16 and 14. I know they wouldn't do this but it would solve the unfairness problem for one of the leagues at least.

mets.png

There actually is one and its that currently there's 4 divisions with 5 teams, 1 with 6 and one with 4. Its fundamentally unfair for some times to have more or less teams they are competing with for a division crown than others. I'd be happy if they did away with interleague play completely but as long as they're going to do it this realignment should be done. As an aside if they truly are separate leagues why do they need to have the same playoff structure? Why can't the NL have 4 divisions of 4 teams with just the division champs making the playoffs while the AL keeps a wildcard if it remains 16 and 14. I know they wouldn't do this but it would solve the unfairness problem for one of the leagues at least.

How is it unfair? Is it easier to have a four team division? Is it harder to win the NLC because their are six teams? The teams are competing against eachother to win, not agains teams which only have to play 3 division opponents. Also, for its entire existence, the NLC has had at least two jobbers any given year, with the Pirates being a constant and the Reds/Brewers/Cubs rotating in and out of the cellar with the Astros now being firmly cemented there for a while. It isn't like the NLC winner has to face 5 good teams, somehow debilitating them for a playoff run.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Courtesy of Gaslamp Ball...and Tom Garfinkel's Facebook page.

bluefriar_medium.jpg

Could mean absolutely nothing, but note that the shampoo script isn't on the current friar logo. It's also exactly what the Padres did with their AAA affiliate last season, only the bat said "Tucson."

Wonder if the "shampoo" logo is surviving after all? Or it if's just a placeholder until they change it. Either way this is a great upgrade for the Padres logo. Well done by the FO.

Courtesy of Gaslamp Ball...and Tom Garfinkel's Facebook page.

bluefriar_medium.jpg

Could mean absolutely nothing, but note that the shampoo script isn't on the current friar logo. It's also exactly what the Padres did with their AAA affiliate last season, only the bat said "Tucson."

If this means anything (and who knows if it does?), it would appear the old uniform script font will still be used.

"Prepared to be disappointed" indeed.

Archived