2012 MLB & Logo Changes

marlinfan

Wow... Check out the jersey section of the padres shop. If I didn't know better I'd think they were changing their colors to Brown and Yellow again.

Padres shop

They're not. It's far worse.

So... They aren't just simplifying their current look?

Assuming they are changing the script, will the camo jersey be changed to match that script, will it just be completely dropped, or will it be a new style of camo.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow... Check out the jersey section of the padres shop. If I didn't know better I'd think they were changing their colors to Brown and Yellow again.

Padres shop

It's because all the "current" uniforms have been pulled since they're no longer current as of this afternoon. If you wanted a 2011 Pads jersey you're SOL on their site at least. I'm sure by tomorrow they'll have all the new jerseys up on the front page again.

Padres shop

They're not. It's far worse.

So... They aren't just simplifying their current look?

Assuming they are changing the script, will the camo jersey be changed to match that script, will it just be completely dropped, or will it be a new style of camo.

No, they are simplifying their current look. I'm saying it's far worse than brown/yellow would be.

It's actually simplified FAR too much. Such a loss of individuality in their new set.

Courtesy of Gaslamp Ball...and Tom Garfinkel's Facebook page.

bluefriar_medium.jpg

Could mean absolutely nothing, but note that the shampoo script isn't on the current friar logo. It's also exactly what the Padres did with their AAA affiliate last season, only the bat said "Tucson."

So the big script logo change is the removal of the tail?

Hey that alone improves it a lot. It no longer screams shampoo even if it still hints at it. That and of course it's been minimized at least in the logo. I'm glad they stuck with the blue that the majority of their fans want rather than caving to the vocal minority as they called it. We need some stability in the Padres uniform sets.

Kinda silly that their logo has the team nickname on it twice, and in different fonts.

Also, how does that friar not have a compound fracture in his ankle?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Only the Padres could screw up such a clear-cut decision. Instead of fiddling with concentrations of sand and grey again, just get rid of it all, bring back brown and yellow, and never change the color scheme again. Simple.

Read the article, it's not that simple. The majority of their fans don't want brown back and are quite happy with blue. It's only a small but vocal minority who want brown back. This is a nice compromise between the blue and brown eras.

So they'll make their color scheme blander, and revert to a logo that's far less professional-looking than one they already had, but grossly underutilized. Makes sense to me.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

If the Padres are thinking of an identity change and they are not considering bringing back the brown and yellow and or orange into the mix they are completely missing a perfect opportunity to differentiate themselves from all other ball clubs in terms of identity. The whole "navy" thing has run its course IMO. They've now tried it TWICE. move on.

So they'll make their color scheme blander, and revert to a logo that's far less professional-looking than one they already had, but grossly underutilized. Makes sense to me.

That Swingin' Friar mark (a few posts above) is NOT the new primary.

Best news I've heard all day. I'm in the minority here, but that friar logo is friggin' awful!

6uXNWAo.png

If the Padres are thinking of an identity change and they are not considering bringing back the brown and yellow and or orange into the mix they are completely missing a perfect opportunity to differentiate themselves from all other ball clubs in terms of identity. The whole "navy" thing has run its course IMO. They've now tried it TWICE. move on.

Agreed. I think the reason why the "non-vocal majority" are against brown/gold is because they are scared that they will end up with something like this:

5-san-diego-padres-yellow-and-browns-1972-73.jpg

Meanwhile, the "vocal minority" want brown/gold back in a tasteful way like this:

barfieldgiles76ms6.jpg

It's all about proper execution of the brown. I think it could be brilliant if done right.

That Swingin' Friar mark (a few posts above) is NOT the new primary.

What is? The "SD" logo they used last year?

Agreed. I think the reason why the "non-vocal majority" are against brown/gold is because they are scared that they will end up with something like this:

5-san-diego-padres-yellow-and-browns-1972-73.jpg

Meanwhile, the "vocal majority" want brown/gold back in a tasteful way like this:

barfieldgiles76ms6.jpg

It's all about proper execution of the brown. I think it could be brilliant if done right.

I think you meant "vocal-minority" for the second photo.

Archived