Washington State Rebranding

Trident M

A closer look at the men's and women's basketball jerseys. The basic design of the men's jerseys is the same, just with the new font. I can't believe Nike didn't get rid of that stupid Chevron collar. But the design of the shorts is still great:

275210491.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1302584900&Signature=YVfUljSjuQIbanUA3DZHVx5CUdw%3D

Mariners | Sounders FC | Seahawks | Washington State

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can see that this new matte helmet fad is really gonna start turning annoying in a hurry. I already hate matte football pants (look cheap) now I gotta look at matte helmets (look stupid, ugly and cheap)?

Except that these helmets aren't matte, they're just non-metallic. There's clearly a gloss on there.

Overall, it looks pretty good. Like others have said, the dark gray is completely unnecessary, and the crimson numbers get lost on the gray, but other than that, I like it.

spacer.png

I absolutely LOVE this look:

275184002_medium.jpg

I think the shade of grey they used is perfect. It's unique. And I really don't think those helmets have that much of a matte look when compared with the Missouri Pro-Combat helmets from 2 years ago.

I would love to see my alma mater go to helmets this color versus the silver ones we have now.

gYH2mW9.png

Both ASU and WSU referred to their athletes wanting black. This BFBS trend isn't something Nike is forcing on schools, its being driven by current fashion and the athletes are all about it. If the athletes want it then the schools want it, because they want the athletes to want them.

And Nike wants to make things athletes want because they are in the business of selling this stuff to . . . athletes. And sports fans.

And as someone who has staunchly defended Oregon's sports uniforms forever, it is kinda vindicating to see these teams in our own conference roll out with these copycat schemes. Don't get me wrong, each of these are very unique designs and clearly unique to the school wearing them. But the elements in each of them are all things that Oregon did first in the conference. Matte helmets? Oregon did it first. Matte pants? Oregon did it first. Black alternates? Oregon did it first. Anthracite? Grey on grey helmet? Oregon first. Ditching a cartoon logo for a streamlined modern "icon"? Oregon again.

These schools clearly want to find some success in a crowded college sports world. And when you can't do "we're Ohio St, or Texas, or USC, or Florida, or ___________" and our tradition and name is all we need, you've got to turn to something else. The next most successful and visible model is what Oregon is doing. And in a way, what Miami and VTech have done in the past as well. Nike was HUGE for those schools, and now teams are lining up for a makeover. Me next!!!!

Aesthetically, I really like what WSU has here. I'm glad they didn't ditch the Cougar head logo. I'm glad they darkened the grey and chose to play it up across all their sports. Its the most unique thing they have going for them. The football unis are a 5000% upgrade over what they had last season. The number font is good. I love the grey basketball uni, but they also need a crimson one eventually. All in all, very good for a school that always looks terribly out of place as soon as kickoff happens.

Both ASU and WSU referred to their athletes wanting black. This BFBS trend isn't something Nike is forcing on schools, its being driven by current fashion and the athletes are all about it. If the athletes want it then the schools want it, because they want the athletes to want them.

And Nike wants to make things athletes want because they are in the business of selling this stuff to . . . athletes. And sports fans.

And as someone who has staunchly defended Oregon's sports uniforms forever, it is kinda vindicating to see these teams in our own conference roll out with these copycat schemes. Don't get me wrong, each of these are very unique designs and clearly unique to the school wearing them. But the elements in each of them are all things that Oregon did first in the conference. Matte helmets? Oregon did it first. Matte pants? Oregon did it first. Black alternates? Oregon did it first. Anthracite? Grey on grey helmet? Oregon first. Ditching a cartoon logo for a streamlined modern "icon"? Oregon again.

These schools clearly want to find some success in a crowded college sports world. And when you can't do "we're Ohio St, or Texas, or USC, or Florida, or ___________" and our tradition and name is all we need, you've got to turn to something else. The next most successful and visible model is what Oregon is doing. And in a way, what Miami and VTech have done in the past as well. Nike was HUGE for those schools, and now teams are lining up for a makeover. Me next!!!!

Aesthetically, I really like what WSU has here. I'm glad they didn't ditch the Cougar head logo. I'm glad they darkened the grey and chose to play it up across all their sports. Its the most unique thing they have going for them. The football unis are a 5000% upgrade over what they had last season. The number font is good. I love the grey basketball uni, but they also need a crimson one eventually. All in all, very good for a school that always looks terribly out of place as soon as kickoff happens.

yup the bottom feeder schools of the pac 12 are following the oregon model...notice you don't see sc and ucla submitting to this nonsense

Let's not get confused...fashion trends are not the same as transcendent aesthetics. Oregon (and its group of followers) is banking on fashion trends. Doesn't mean they look good. Bell-bottoms, acid-washed jeans and Zubaz were fashion trends too.

There's a reason why black men's suits have stood the test of time.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

There's a reason why black men's suits have stood the test of time.

I don't know about that. This is going to look even more ridiculous in a few years.

345410726_0a45cd341b.jpg

LOL, well played. I should've just said black business suits. Stupid language.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived