BFBS, Good or Bad

dmhtfld

I'm still flabbergasted that he tried to play the race card in a uniform discussion.

No I didn't...try again. I said it with a "?".

Bringing it up at all is ridiculous enough to warrant this type of response. Seriously. I've actually heard it here a few times and it's the stupidest thing I have ever read.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still flabbergasted that he tried to play the race card in a uniform discussion.

No I didn't...try again. I said it with a "?".

Bringing it up at all is ridiculous enough to warrant this type of response. Seriously. I've actually heard it here a few times and it's the stupidest thing I have ever read.

Then don't comment. Makes you equally as stupid. It is a valid possibility. Just like adults wearing jerseys is considered "low class" by alot of people on here, yet wearing them is the norm in the urban community...regardless of age. This urban community is majority African American, so calling the way a certain group of individuals dress as "low class" and "cheap" is pretty damn racist cause it doesn't fit the so-called white American standards for an adult.

Bottom line, if you think bringing up race is "the stupidest thing I have ever read", then just ignore it and move on. It's pretty simple.

I do think race has alot to do with it to a certain extent. Black uni's became popular in the 90's around the exact same time urban clothing became popular. Black in uni's is a LARGE part of urban culture. There is nothing wrong with any team, college, or company tapping into that culture to make money. Actually, it's pretty damn smart.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

Hate it. The ONLY instance I have ever liked was the Jazz alts of the early 2000's. Not so much out of homerism, but because I love how copper was used so prominently (black and copper are a fantastic combo). Aside from that, not one BFBS design has ever looked good to me. This includes even random black accents (see New York Knicks or Minnesota North Stars, for example).

EDIT: IDK if this was meant to only pertain to college football, and if so I apologize. I'm just saying that in general, in any sport, it doesn't fare too well with me).

I hate to break it to you, Knhrvy16, but my utter disdain for BFBS began with the Utah Jazz's black alts. I agree with you, they're not bad in and of themselves, but I was disappointed when they went with black instead of say, light blue, teal, or copper (OK, maybe not that last one, but still). Then you remember that the Jazz wore them about 4 times out of 5 when they were on the road.

I agree that the copper stripe was the best part of the uniform, and it would've been nice to see both a white and purple version of those alts. I also kinda hoped that they'd maybe even go with a green/gold/copper scheme when they changed this last year, or kept the copper with their double blue look.

I just think of how relatively lazy a designing firm is every time another team (usually college) uses a black alternate where they never had it in their colors before. To me, BFBS is just a cop-out. Just look at several BFBS uniforms in college football--there's often no pants stripe and the jerseys often have very little outside of the numbers. It's as if the designers met only once and took a half-hour discussing what to get for lunch, then spent 5 minutes discussing how to design the jersey. BFBS, to me anyways, reeks of "Eh, it's good enough." And they're the ones that are professional? I like outside-the-box thinking, but BFBS has become nothing more than a crutch for (mainly college) teams, despite the attitude a black alternate may bring.

I'll agree, black looks great with just about every color, and a simple Color/Black/White color scheme can look very good (early Dallas Stars, South Carolina), but I can't stand it when there's any trend that several teams pick up on; they end up looking like everyone else.

So Johnny, you say you didn't play the race card. Except when you admit you did.

Just walk it back, man. Anybody can box himself into a corner. Best to admit it was a dumb thing to suggest, and then it can be dropped.

I think to a certain extent, it probably does. I don't want to believe that since this is 2011 and we should be beyond that. But looking back that this thread and the one about adults looking "cheap" in jerseys definitely has some disturbing undertones.

Maybe it does and maybe it doesn't. I can see both sides of this argument. Like I said above, I want to think people where above this type of mentality, but the style from the 90's with regards to black uniforms is without a doubt deeply rooted from urban culture...which also happens to be a majority African American culture. And there is no doubt that other cultures in America greatly dislike the urban side of fashion...for more reasons than they want to admit.

I wasn't being hypocritical. I didn't use the so-called "race card" when I started this topic, but looking back at some to the posts here and on the other one....it's kinda hard to now ignore it. I'm greatly disappointed by that.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

You're being ridiculous. I'm a huge hip-hop fan and all and I dislike BFBS unless it's done really well (for example, ASU has pulled it off marvelously). It has nothing to do with urban culture or race, especially on a forum based around discussing and critiquing sports uniforms.

At least you've got a nice taste in sneakers. Those red-white-and-black 2's and black-and-columbia 9's in your sig are fire.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

You're being ridiculous. I'm a huge hip-hop fan and all and I dislike BFBS unless it's done really well (for example, ASU has pulled it off marvelously). It has nothing to do with urban culture or race, especially on a forum based around discussing and critiquing sports uniforms.

At least you've got a nice taste in sneakers. Those red-white-and-black 2's and black-and-columbia 9's in your sig are fire.

Teams using black to sell uniforms is without a doubt tapping into urban culture. There really isn't any other reason for the Tennessee Volunteers to have those hideous black alternates if that wasn't true. Most come off looking really dumb (i.e. Vols, Philly Eagles, Oak Athletics, Det Lions). Others look really REALLY damn good (i.e. ASU, Cavs from the 90's, Bucs fashion alt). I've had and still have partial ownerships in manly online urban stores, so trust me, I'm well aware of the sales aspect and who is buying them.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

While it may be true that African-Americans in particular buy a lot of BFBS jerseys, that's not the reason why teams come out with BFBS unis - it's in an attempt to sell new jerseys to all demographics. Therefore, claiming peoples' dislike of BFBS to be racist is still inane and preposterous.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

While it may be true that African-Americans in particular buy a lot of BFBS jerseys, that's not the reason why teams come out with BFBS unis - it's in an attempt to sell new jerseys to all demographics. Therefore, claiming peoples' dislike of BFBS to be racist is still inane and preposterous.

No no no....I'm not saying if you dislike a black uniform you're racist. I hate the black Philly Eagles jersey with a passion. But there are alot of people that are hating on teams for "selling out" to the idea of having a black jersey to sell to primarily urban shoppers (yes, to everyone, but more to the urban crowd). That hating has alot of disturbing and deeply rooted undertones.

But I'll let it go with that, unless some fool wants to light another fire under me. hahaha :P

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

Black is just an awesome color. And it CAN make teams look awesome in them. So their colors get sacrificed, who cares, it's just a uniform

True. But these forums are about liking and hating them (though I see more hating than liking, but regardless). As long as NFL teams stay away from the Arena Football League look...*cough* Vikings, Falcons, Cardinals *cough*...I'm cool with drastic changes.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

They pay fees so they can get into games and other events for free.

This is kinda awesome.

:grin: Thought it'd never happen to me...it's kinda like sending a SASE to "Baseball"

That's just one example of the fine liberal arts education you get as an undergraduate student at a major university.

Not sure what prompted this attack, but, wow you just showed you're retarded and arrogant. Nice work.

If you say you need the teams to advertise the school, and you are taking student money to pay for the teams, they should wear the colors of the school-not what Nike wants you to pimp this month.

It's a numbers game, pal. Nike wins.

Based on your example, the students should decide what colors the team wears, since they pay the athletic department. Maybe they want black. Maybe the want random other colors. Who says the students want the team to wear strictly school colors? Who says the school wants the team in strictly school colors? You don't know that... But anyway, since Nike donates more to the athletic program than all the students combined, I guess Nike has the trump card.

Does Coke make its employees contribute to the marketing and advertising budget?

You think Coke employees would ever be caught drinking a Pepsi product? What do you think is the drink of choice in the Coca-Cola building (other than coffee)?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Not sure what prompted this attack, but, wow you just showed you're retarded and arrogant. Nice work.

I have a very cynical outlook towards how much major universities care about the education of their captive piggy banks undergraduate student population. Beer and Circuses Ahoy!

It's a numbers game, pal. Nike wins.

Based on your example, the students should decide what colors the team wears, since they pay the athletic department. Maybe they want black. Maybe the want random other colors. Who says the students want the team to wear strictly school colors? Who says the school wants the team in strictly school colors? You don't know that... But anyway, since Nike donates more to the athletic program than all the students combined, I guess Nike has the trump card.

Then take the athletic department and sever all ties to the University. This isn't hard. So long as you're pitching the athletic fees as the students chipping in to help advertise the school, then the athletics program better advertise the school and its identity package first and foremost. The school exists for the students, not the donors who live their lives vicariously through random 18-22 year olds.

You think Coke employees would ever be caught drinking a Pepsi product? What do you think is the drink of choice in the Coca-Cola building (other than coffee)?

That's not the same thing and you know it. Are they reprogramming money out of employee paychecks to the advertising budget a la your standard benefits package? If not, the comparison isn't valid.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Students are there approximately 4 years. School and their colors have been there, in most cases, for around a century or more.

School colors are more historical and constant. Plus I'd say that the athletes are pretty much the only ones who want to see the cool black uniforms. Most of the students who watch them bleed the school colors.

Indeed. Did you see the National Championship game? The Oregon Ducks were wearing white, black, three kinds of grey, and highlighter yellow. The Oregon fans and cheerleaders, however, were wearing traditional green and athletic gold/yellow.

I think to a certain extent, it probably does.

No, it doesn't. You see a lot of "last gasp"/haymaker arguments on the internet, when someone starts swinging wildly trying to land a point when they've clearly lost a discussion. This has to be the king of those kinds of arguments.

Archived