BFBS, Good or Bad

dmhtfld

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Overall it's pretty stupid I think... especially when a team like Florida St who has a somewhat classic look does it.

I think black jerseys can look awesome, but I much prefer it when black is actually one of the team's colors. That being said, I don't think its as much of a big deal as some people do. The Uni Watch guy, I know his head basically explodes when he see's BFBS. Or so it seems.

90758391980.gif

Hate it. The ONLY instance I have ever liked was the Jazz alts of the early 2000's. Not so much out of homerism, but because I love how copper was used so prominently (black and copper are a fantastic combo). Aside from that, not one BFBS design has ever looked good to me. This includes even random black accents (see New York Knicks or Minnesota North Stars, for example).

EDIT: IDK if this was meant to only pertain to college football, and if so I apologize. I'm just saying that in general, in any sport, it doesn't fare too well with me).

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Overall it's pretty stupid I think... especially when a team like Florida St who has a somewhat classic look does it.

I think black jerseys can look awesome, but I much prefer it when black is actually one of the team's colors. That being said, I don't think its as much of a big deal as some people do. The Uni Watch guy, I know his head basically explodes when he see's BFBS. Or so it seems.

Actually you are 100% wrong when you say that black is not a part of Florida State. It is. Florida State is endorsed by the Seminole Nation who allows them to use the name, etc. The colors of the Seminole Nation are red, yellow and BLACK. Just because Florida State didn't use black until recently, it is part of their identity since they are endorsed by the Seminole Nation.

My opinion on it, is, if black was not used conistantly in the past on the logos or uniforms then they should never add black to their uniform or logo.

Heres a list of all the D1 colleges. The ones with a check are the teams that have a history of having black in their uniform or logos and therefore should not be BFBS.

-Oklahoma Sooners

-Ohio State Buckeyes ✓

-Penn State Nittany Lions

-Texas Longhorns

-Boise State Broncos

-Michigan Wolverines

-Alabama Crimson Tide

-Nebraska Cornhuskers

-Notre Dame Fighting Irish

-Tennessee Volunteers ✓

-Southern California Trojans

-Georgia Bulldogs✓

-Florida Gators

-Florida State Seminoles

-Miami (FL) Hurricanes

-Auburn Tigers

-Louisiana State Tigers

-Arizona State Sun Devils

-Miami (OH) RedHawks✓

-U.C.L.A. Bruins

-South Florida Bulls

-Arkansas Razorbacks✓

-Southern Mississippi Golden Eagles✓

-Clemson Tigers

-West Virginia Mountaineers

-Mississippi Rebels

-Central Michigan Chippewas

-Fresno State Bulldogs

-Bowling Green State Falcons

-Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets

-Brigham Young Cougars

-Virginia Tech Hokies

-Middle Tennessee State Blue Raiders✓

-Louisiana Tech Bulldogs

-Troy Trojans✓

-Michigan State Spartans

-Washington Huskies

-Boston College Eagles

-Nevada Wolf Pack

-Western Kentucky Hilltoppers✓

-Utah Utes✓

-San Diego State Aztecs✓

-Colorado Buffaloes✓

-Toledo Rockets

-Syracuse Orange

-Hawai'i Warriors✓

-Air Force Falcons

-Texas A&M Aggies

-Texas Tech Red Raiders✓

-Maryland Terrapins✓

-Wyoming Cowboys

-Louisville Cardinals✓

-East Carolina Pirates✓

-North Carolina Tar Heels

-Wisconsin Badgers✓

-Missouri Tigers✓

-Arizona Wildcats

-Houston Cougars

-Ball State Cardinals✓

-Oregon Ducks

-Rutgers Scarlet Knights✓

-Central Florida Golden Knights✓

-Iowa Hawkeyes✓

-Western Michigan Broncos✓

-Pittsburgh Panthers

-North Carolina State Wolfpack✓

-Tulsa Golden Hurricane

-Purdue Boilermakers✓

-Cincinnati Bearcats✓

-Stanford Cardinal

-South Carolina Gamecocks✓

-Oklahoma State Cowboys ✓

-Arkansas State Red Wolves✓

-Memphis Tigers

-Connecticut Huskies

-Army Cadets✓

-California Golden Bears

-Akron Zips

-Northern Illinois Huskies✓

-Texas Christian Horned Frogs✓

-Marshall Thundering Herd✓

-Virginia Cavaliers

-North Texas Eagles✓

-Florida Atlantic Owls

-Alabama-Birmingham Blazers✓

-San Jose State Spartans

-Navy Midshipmen

-Minnesota Golden Gophers

-Utah State Aggies

-Baylor Bears

-Kentucky Wildcats

-Colorado State Rams

-Kansas Jayhawks

-Illinois Fighting Illini

-Louisiana-Lafayette Ragin' Cajuns✓

-Ohio Bobcats

-Idaho Vandals✓

-Washington State Cougars

-Southern Methodist Mustangs

-Mississippi State Bulldogs

-Louisiana-Monroe Warhawks✓

-Oregon State Beavers✓

-Buffalo Bulls

-Duke Blue Devils✓

-New Mexico Lobos✓

-Nevada-Las Vegas Rebels✓

-Iowa State Cyclones

-Rice Owls

-Wake Forest Demon Deacons✓

-Eastern Michigan Eagles

-Temple Owls

-Kansas State Wildcats

-Kent State Golden Flashes

-Indiana Hoosiers

-Tulane Green Wave

-Texas-El Paso Miners

-Northwestern (IL) Wildcats✓

-Vanderbilt Commodores✓

-New Mexico State Aggies✓

-Florida International Golden Panthers

If there is black in the logo, I don't see why it becomes BFBS

(clarification before ya'll jump down my throat, I am NOT talking about Oregon)

Wisconsin has prominently used black in its logo since at least the 1940s. Certain players wore black helmets in the 1960s. If the Badgers came out with a black alt tomorrow, it'd still be BFBS.

If merchandising concerns drive a school/team to adopt black uniforms, especially an existing group that hasn't worn black in any significant way before, that's the definition of BFBS.

If black is in your color scheme than it's not BFBS. But if Ohio State rolled out a black uni, it would look awful because it's not Ohio State's main color, only an accent color. But the way Oregon rolls out new unis every two years is just as bad as Adidas handing out new basketball unis every year. It creates no consistency in a uniform scheme.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

If black is used already somewhere in the logo/uniforms, then it's all about how it's used. As mentioned, Wisconsin doesn't use it enough in the look. If they came out with a black jersey it would be BFBS, same with Ohio State.

And on that list, Duke is checked off. They are like the Mets of NCAA. They only added black for this reason. Before they had always been blue and white only.

It's a crutch, plain and simple. Can't come up with an interesting alternate with the colour pallet and logo at your disposal? Just colour the primary jersey black with stripes in the team colours. Then you sell it to people on the theory that black is an "attitude."

Actually you are 100% wrong when you say that black is not a part of Florida State. It is. Florida State is endorsed by the Seminole Nation who allows them to use the name, etc. The colors of the Seminole Nation are red, yellow and BLACK. Just because Florida State didn't use black until recently, it is part of their identity since they are endorsed by the Seminole Nation.

Whelp, alright, bad example. I stand corrected.

Ok better example:

Michigan State wearing black basketball jerseys.

90758391980.gif

My high school's colors were green & gold when I went there. My senior year, we started wearing black alternates for basketball. 1 year after I graduated, the football team introduced a black alternate. 2 years later, a black helmet was introduced & black was made a school color. Why? Because the football coach/AD thought that black was cool.

So yeah, when I played football for my school, we looked like Notre Dame whenever they decided to wear green. Now, they look like a green & black Miami from the early 2000's. Miami can pull that look off because their colors are awesome & fit the vibrant feeling of the uniform. My high school can't do it because, FFS, when black is the dominant color of a green-&-gold scheme, it's not gonna work at all.

I said that to say this: If you're gonna do BFBS, at least make sure that it looks good. I think I brought this up, but my dream combo when it comes to college football uniforms FSU combining their "Unconquered" look with the black helmets from the Pro Combat set. (Oh look, I found it, sort of. :P) That would look amazing as a one-off or a special occasion alternate. Then you have Mississippi State, who brought out an all-black look last season (minus the helmet, which was maroon) and it looked incredibad. They should burn that uniform ASAP.

So my point is this: IMO, I don't mind BFBS. Just make sure that it looks good if you're gonna do it.

Archived