"Washington Federals" (Now Redskins name discussion)

DeFrank

In other news, natsfan's post was very well done. Kudos.

It really wasn't. It's clear he doesn't know what he's talking about. When you claim that "yankee" isn't used in a derogatory term in the south and that no one uses "redskin" in a derogatory manner you've proven you really don't have the knowledge necessary to discuss this topic.

I get it, he's a Redskins fan. Great. I'd just appreciate it if he was honest and said "I like the team, I hope they keep their name because that's what I'm used to." Don't talk out of your rear when it's clear you have a limited understanding of the topics your discussing.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True enough. Don't forget that Natsfan was already caught once peddling untruths on this thread when he claimed that the team name originally referred to beans, not Native Americans.

As I said before, a change like this would be incredibly hard for fans. And the issue is complicated, there are no easy solutions. I'd much rather that backers of the name formed their arguments around that than resorting to questionable assertions dressed up as "facts" dished up with personal insults.

the Redskins already won a court battle with what ever dumb small interest group tried to

start something again.

On a technicality. A new case can be brought, with new plaintiffs, should anyone wish to remedy that.

If anybody could question my loyalty to my team... I love my Redskins. Everything about them. It would, however, be terrible to see them change, and many fans clinging my a thread (unlike me) would consider this the last straw. I would be heartbroken.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

If anybody could question my loyalty to my team... I love my Redskins. Everything about them. It would, however, be terrible to see them change, and many fans clinging my a thread (uynlike me) would consider this the last straw. I would be heartbroken.

Yeah, but it's just a football team.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

The string I was holding onto as a Redskins fan broke. Change the name, I dont give a :censored:. Maybe I might give a :censored: about the team if they did and Snyder croaked, I dont know. I grew up with the team being a fan, but eventually just got tired of the money grubbing nature of the franchise (and the NFL in general, and the lockout is vindicating my choice). Change the name, simply put, its racist in my eyes. If you have to go through so many lengths as the many Redskins fans on this board have in explaining why its not racist, it just is, if it wasnt, it wouldnt need defending or explaining.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

If anybody could question my loyalty to my team... I love my Redskins. Everything about them. It would, however, be terrible to see them change, and many fans clinging my a thread (uynlike me) would consider this the last straw. I would be heartbroken.

Yeah, but it's just a football team.

Were on sportslogos.net. I'm a superfan. It would really hurt me.

potd 10/20/12

It would, however, be terrible to see them change, and many fans clinging my a thread (unlike me) would consider this the last straw. I would be heartbroken.

Some "fans" that ditch the team because they change their name of all things. Moving? Yep. But a name change? Come on.

Personally I don't see "redskin" being on the same level as other derogatory words. And until there's a legitimate, large effort by American Indians to get rid of the name, there's no reason to do away with it. (If that ever happens though, go ahead.)

34y7eo5.jpg

You know what they say, "Traditionalist's can go die in a hole if they don't like it."

It would, however, be terrible to see them change, and many fans clinging my a thread (unlike me) would consider this the last straw. I would be heartbroken.

Some "fans" that ditch the team because they change their name of all things. Moving? Yep. But a name change? Come on.

Personally I don't see "redskin" being on the same level as other derogatory words. And until there's a legitimate, large effort by American Indians to get rid of the name, there's no reason to do away with it. (If that ever happens though, go ahead.)

I don't think Native Americans, as a community, have the financial, social, or political power to really fight this properly. I think the name is racist, but I don't think you'll hear a lot of complaints about it (on a meaningful/forceful/take action scale) simply because they don't have the power do to anything about it right now. They have bigger issues to deal with. It would be a nice gesture for the team to change its name, but I don't think it will happen due to pressure from Native American groups. If it ever does happen, it will happen due to the organization taking it upon itself to do the right thing, on its own.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Because we are the Redskins. I mean, what if the Red Sox became the Thunder tomorrow? The entire world would freak out because it's a world brand. Our entire city (plus VA, NC, WV, some MD) would freak out. It would be terrible. The name has been here for 75 years. It's our team. Hail to the Redskins. Fight for old D.C. The marching band. The logos. The colors.

If they take that away from us, were just a generic losing team with no future. Our history is all that keeps us going. The Federals or Warriors didn't win 3 Super Bowls and play in 2 others, THE REDSKINS did.

And I wouldn't "ditch the team" but what I'm saying is it would just be another step in the wrong direction after all the free agent mishaps, the Synder failures, and the coaching carousel. Now were not even the Redskins?? I would buy the new jersey. I would update my concepts. I would remain FULLY invested in Washington football.

potd 10/20/12

True enough. Don't forget that Natsfan was already caught once peddling untruths on this thread when he claimed that the team name originally referred to beans, not Native Americans.

Actually that in itself is an untruth. 'twas I who made that claim, not Natsfan. Although I am a Nats fan.

Natsfan's post was awesome. When he made the one point about it no longer being derogatory, Ice_Caps' comeback was just, Yeah it is! (It's not by the way)

90758391980.gif

If the name was that offensive and controversial they'd change it. It isn't, so they won't.

N*ggers, Oklahoma City Bombers, Lynchers, Klansman, Abortionists, Abortion Clinic Bombers, etc. those are offensive names. They wouldn't exist, let alone continue to exist even if they were a classic team name.

90758391980.gif

Here's a question, and I really am curious about this: is anyone in this community really an actual bona-fide Native American? (And I ain't talking about 1/8th or some diluted percentage like that, like their great-grandmomma on their momma's daddy's side was like part-Cherokee or some ish like that...I mean, like, legitimately at least half. That's the opinion I want to see.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Here's a question, and I really am curious about this: is anyone in this community really an actual bona-fide Native American? (And I ain't talking about 1/8th or some diluted percentage like that, like their great-grandmomma on their momma's daddy's side was like part-Cherokee or some ish like that...I mean, like, legitimately at least half. That's the opinion I want to see.)

Good point, but Buc, have you seen the DeFrank Personal Logo thing recently, because I left you a hefty reply a few days ago and I'm still waiting for a reply ;)

I could have sworn that infrared said he was half-Native American, but I'm not sure if I'm remembering the right person. There's definitely a regular poster here who is, I just can't remember who.

If it was infaRED, then we have a whole new perspective on the term REDskins.

potd 10/20/12

I could have sworn that infrared said he was half-Native American, but I'm not sure if I'm remembering the right person. There's definitely a regular poster here who is, I just can't remember who.

No, I'm pretty sure it was that wackjob Max who used to troll the political threads with his hatred of white people.

If it was infaRED, then we have a whole new perspective on the term REDskins.

...just stop.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Bottom line:

1) Those that think it's racist will forever think that no matter the argument.

2) Those that don't think it's racist will forever support the Redskins.

3) The majority of Native Americans don't give a :censored: .

Really no point in discussing this any further.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

Because we are the Redskins. I mean, what if the Red Sox became the Thunder tomorrow? The entire world would freak out because it's a world brand. Our entire city (plus VA, NC, WV, some MD) would freak out. It would be terrible. The name has been here for 75 years. It's our team. Hail to the Redskins. Fight for old D.C. The marching band. The logos. The colors.

If they take that away from us, were just a generic losing team with no future. Our history is all that keeps us going. The Federals or Warriors didn't win 3 Super Bowls and play in 2 others, THE REDSKINS did.

And I wouldn't "ditch the team" but what I'm saying is it would just be another step in the wrong direction after all the free agent mishaps, the Synder failures, and the coaching carousel. Now were not even the Redskins?? I would buy the new jersey. I would update my concepts. I would remain FULLY invested in Washington football.

GROW THE F CK UP. People would be upset, then realize that they still have to wake up and go do their jobs so that they can pay their bills and get their health care and make sure their kids are fed etc Then they would be upset for a little more, until they realize that they still have to wake up and check their elderly parent into a nursing home,then rush back to work so they can pay their bills and get their health care and make sure that their kids get fed. Then they'd eventually realize that they don't have that much time to be upset about it. It's goddam sports. It's not real. Goddam life is real. Real goddam real.

You can still have the same fun going to the games with your friends or family, or rooting for the hometown team at the local taproom, etc. That's what the whole sports thing is really all about. If you actually use your brain to think about what pro sports are, you won't be able to be a fan. It's borderline pro wrestling. It's about bringing communities together by people gathering for a few hours each week because they share a common interest. During those few hours, you have to fool yourself into thinking that your team is the good guys who are defending your honor, and the other team is the bad guys who want to win the game and then take you and everyone you hold dear and make you all their slaves.

Pro sports aren't wildly popular because of the actual sports, but because of the opportunities that they create for a father to bond with his son, and then that son to bond with his son, and so on and so forth. That bonding can still take place - only now they'll be attending a Washington Xtreme game, and son will be asking his father all kinds of questions about the Redskins team that he read about in the football history book, and it just creates more opportunities.

And then there are the people who don't realize that they still have to go to work, or that it's not just a game, and feel that they are a better person when their team wins, and have no self esteem when their team loses. For those people (even the few not from Cleveland), I weep.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

You really don't like me don't you? :therock:

If you don't think I know what life is about then maybe you should stop bringing up unrelated issues like health care and life being "goddamn real". This is about logos. Sportslogos. That expands to team names. I'm allowed to be passionate about my sports team for the reasons you mentioned in your rant. I'm not going to go cry in a corner (after a couple hours), but I'm allowed to be passionate about my favorite sports teams logo identity...

potd 10/20/12

If anybody could question my loyalty to my team... I love my Redskins. Everything about them. It would, however, be terrible to see them change, and many fans clinging my a thread (unlike me) would consider this the last straw. I would be heartbroken.

They are not yours. You have no interest in the team even as a season ticket holder since you are a minor.

You really don't like me don't you? :therock:

If you don't think I know what life is about then maybe you should stop bringing up unrelated issues like health care and life being "goddamn real". This is about logos. Sportslogos. That expands to team names. I'm allowed to be passionate about my sports team for the reasons you mentioned in your rant. I'm not going to go cry in a corner (after a couple hours), but I'm allowed to be passionate about my favorite sports teams logo identity...

I will not speak for BBTV, but I do dislike you.

People root for "those who wear the laundry" much more than the root for the team's name. Identity changes still provide for merchandise sales, regardless of it is a throwback or a current look.

Archived