2011NCAA Football Thread

Gary

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Houston and LSU ostensibly play at the same tier of competition and therefore should be on theoretically equal grounds.

Of course they're on equal grounds theoretically. In reality, at least this year, they aren't. LSU will have played and beaten the current #23, #2 & #3 teams in the country (and add another ranked team to that list if they beat UGA this weekend). Houston's best win will probably come against #24 Southern Miss in the C-USA Title game, and before that, their best win came against UCLA. You had an argument when it came to the whole "No Rematch" deal, but you lost the plot on this topic.

If Boise State came out of the rubble of Crazy-Ass Upset Week unscathed, then I would be campaigning hard for the Broncos to get in since they actually played a halfway-decent schedule, including a very impressive win against the SEC East Champs in their own backyard. But after looking at Houston and watching a few of their games this year (that offense is like watching my little cousins play Madden on rookie mode. Lawd.), an LSU-Houston matchup in the Superdome would probably end up like that UGA-Hawaii game did a while back. Houston's gonna win the C-USA, go undefeated, and get themselves into a BCS bowl after a great season. But as far as the 'ship is concerned, nope. Not this season.

If Oklahoma State beats Oklahoma, there's likely going to be enough sway to the voters and put OSU above Alabama, which won't get to play another game to "show off" to the pollsters. OSU is already #2 in the computers, and will gain ground on Alabama because Arkansas will be dropping from the 3-slot. A win over Oklahoma (I don't think the score matters much) should be enough.

Bingo. All these people were talking about, "Oh, Alabama got it SOOOO good, they don't have to play another game, they can waltz right into the title game as an at-large." Alabama not making it to the SEC Championship was pretty bad because if the Cowboys beat the Sooners, Alabama's gonna have to sweat it out and wait to see if the Coaches & Harris pollsters fall in line with the computer and put OK-State in the 2 spot. If I was a Bama fan, I'd be rooting hard for the Sooners this weekend. OSU is going to do all that they can to make sure human element of the polls turns on Alabama and hops on the Cowboy bandwagon.

Regardless, OSU is screwed if Virginia Tech wins the ACC. OSU is fifth in the polls right now, but third in the BCS (they're behind both VT and Stanford in the polls).

LvZYtbZ.png

Autzen > __________ (Your teams stadium here)

Didn't you just lose to USC in Autzen?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I was watching the BCS countdown last night, and I heard something that really pissed me off:

"It doesn't matter what LSU does on Saturday, they should play Alabama for the championship game."

Seriously? So, they could get beat 50-0, and they would still go? Wow.... just... wow.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

I was watching the BCS countdown last night, and I heard something that really pissed me off:

"It doesn't matter what LSU does on Saturday, they should play Alabama for the championship game."

Seriously? So, they could get beat 50-0, and they would still go? Wow.... just... wow.

He has a pretty valid point. Obviously LSU won't lose by 50. But even if UGA somehow runs LSU out of the Dome, LSU's loss is still a better loss than anyone else who is vying for a shot in the title game.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

No offense Cola, but you are one serious SEC homer.

Just my opinion.

I don't see how anything I said could possibly label me as a SEC homer

No, not much. B)

so rams80, tell me how many other "down" conferences have FIVE 10-win teams?

Personally, I'd rather not have a rematch and just a scenario where 3 SEC teams play in separate BCS bowls with a chance to once again remind people like you that the best football is played in the South and the conference is the SEC.

BB52Big.jpg

Just my opinion.

No, not much. B)

Personally, I'd rather not have a rematch and just a scenario where 3 SEC teams play in separate BCS bowls with a chance to once again remind people like you that the best football is played in the South and the conference is the SEC.

infrared, I think we need to come to an agreement on what being a "homer" means. I see that as someone who is totally blind to the facts but still resorts to supporting something and pumping it like they can't see any wrong in it. Supporting my team and the conference they play in doesn't make me a homer in my opinion...it makes me a fan. There is a difference.

I do think having five 10-win teams is pretty impressive AND I do wish a scenario would occur that would allow for big match ups of SEC versus other worthy opponents in the bowls...in hopes that the dominance of the SEC would continue to be displayed.

I don't see how there is a problem with that?

If that scenario would come to play and LSU lost, Bama lost, Arky got crushed, and my 'Cocks got smoked....THEN I came on here and made excuses and still claimed that the SEC was the best, you could have reason to call me a "homer." Doh!

Plus, I like giving rams80 hell.

Just my opinion.

No, not much. B)

infrared, I think we need to come to an agreement on what being a "homer" means.

For what it's worth, it's not meant to be malicious. I'm just busting your chops for being such a strong advocate for SEC football. It's all in fun. The truth is. I think you really know your stuff and I respect your opinion.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived