Best Unused Logos

IceCap

We've had a couple of prototype/unused re-brand threads through the years, so I thought it would be nice to have a thread dedicated to everyone's favourite logos from the world of what-could-have-been. I'll start.

ya8qoagwzweacwl1431mhfsef.gif

This is the best logo the Patriots organization ever came up with, in my opinion.

To each their own, but I think even the dreaded Flying Elvis blows that thing away. The unused one is clunky and just plain ugly. At least Elvis is streamlined...

What about mixing the two?

NewPatriot.png

Here's Elvis for comparison

y71myf8mlwlk8lbgagh3fd5e0.gif

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've had a couple of prototype/unused re-brand threads through the years, so I thought it would be nice to have a thread dedicated to everyone's favourite logos from the world of what-could-have-been. I'll start.

This is the best logo the Patriots organization ever came up with, in my opinion.

I don't mean to bash your opinion, because you are more than entitled to it...but I honestly don't understand how THIS logo is anywhere close to being better than anything that the Pats have put out there in their entire history. I despise the Pat Patriot logo and I think it totally destroys this logo. Just because its completely different and never been used it doesn't mean its good. Don't you think if this logo was anywhere close to good that someone would have pushed to have it used in someway??? To call it "the best logo the Patriots organization ever came up with" seems a lot like more like an opinion shared by a very small group of people. I honestly can't understand why people keep bashing the Flying Elvis logo. Its the best thing they've come up with since they've been in existence...but maybe thats just MY opinion, and maybe I'm the only one. *shoulder shrug* (I doubt it though)

See, the thing is that it's not "completely different" from the Flying Elvis. It's a profile of a minuteman interpolated with an American flag, which the Flying Elvis also is, but this is a superior rendering of that concept because it's more clearly both of those ideas, while the Flying Elvis is more abstract. Also, the logo, being vaguely rectangular, is better suited for NFL design. Amidst fellow logos, it's vastly superior to the wispy little brushstroke that appears next to Raiders, Jets, Packers, Colts, and Steelers logos today. Finally, the profile of the man in the canton just looks more chiseled, masculine, and "football-y" (how eerie that it now seems to resemble Belichick) than the Flying Elvis, which is pretty devoid of character except for the fact that it has something resembling long sideburns which lend a handy pejorative.

As for "if it were so good, why didn't they use it?", they were all prepared to use it until the handful of degenerates who actually attended Patriots games in the 1970s booed it off the field. I guess they couldn't alienate their base.

So yeah, Pat Prototype is the best logo they ever had. In a perfect world, we'd have that logo on the helmets of the Boston Patriots. All things being equal, they'd still be an insufferable team, of course, so I guess the world wouldn't be that perfect.

I also rather like the Pat Prototype because, unless I'm reaching, its a nice homage to the Old Man of the Mountain. Local ties!

There was a CFL franchise granted in 1982, to play out of Halifax, but lack of a stadium, among other things, meant the franchise never really got much beyond that stage.

This logo is used by a groups from Atlantic Canada supporting a CFL franchise in the Maritimes.

I like the logo, and have used it in a custom Madden league.

schooners.png

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

To each their own, but I think even the dreaded Flying Elvis blows that thing away. The unused one is clunky and just plain ugly. At least Elvis is streamlined...

What about mixing the two?

NewPatriot.png

Here's Elvis for comparison

y71myf8mlwlk8lbgagh3fd5e0.gif

Still like the simplicity of Elvis better, but changing the other logo to the modern colors and streamlining the flag did improve it.

I don't mean to bash your opinion, because you are more than entitled to it...but I honestly don't understand how THIS logo is anywhere close to being better than anything that the Pats have put out there in their entire history. I despise the Pat Patriot logo and I think it totally destroys this logo. Just because its completely different and never been used it doesn't mean its good. Don't you think if this logo was anywhere close to good that someone would have pushed to have it used in someway??? To call it "the best logo the Patriots organization ever came up with" seems a lot like more like an opinion shared by a very small group of people. I honestly can't understand why people keep bashing the Flying Elvis logo. Its the best thing they've come up with since they've been in existence...but maybe thats just MY opinion, and maybe I'm the only one. *shoulder shrug* (I doubt it though)

"I don't mean to bash your opinion, but I will anyway...."

:P

It's cool, agree to disagree, but I would prefer it if we were just honest about doing that.

Anyway Pat the Patriot is a poorly rendered cartoon. I don't see how he's any better then the logo I posted.

As for the Flying Elvis? Well both it and the logo I posted are playing around with the same design, they just execute it differently. Flying Elvis, to me, just lacks "substance" as a logo. He seems flimsy, he doesn't take up a substantial amount of space. I agree that he's better then Pat the Patriot (what isn't?), but the logo I posted just seems to have more to it then Elvis does, in my opinion.

LOL...touche. my bad. :)

See, the thing is that it's not "completely different" from the Flying Elvis. It's a profile of a minuteman interpolated with an American flag, which the Flying Elvis also is, but this is a superior rendering of that concept because it's more clearly both of those ideas, while the Flying Elvis is more abstract. Also, the logo, being vaguely rectangular, is better suited for NFL design. Amidst fellow logos, it's vastly superior to the wispy little brushstroke that appears next to Raiders, Jets, Packers, Colts, and Steelers logos today. Finally, the profile of the man in the canton just looks more chiseled, masculine, and "football-y" (how eerie that it now seems to resemble Belichick) than the Flying Elvis, which is pretty devoid of character except for the fact that it has something resembling long sideburns which lend a handy pejorative.

As for "if it were so good, why didn't they use it?", they were all prepared to use it until the handful of degenerates who actually attended Patriots games in the 1970s booed it off the field. I guess they couldn't alienate their base.

So yeah, Pat Prototype is the best logo they ever had. In a perfect world, we'd have that logo on the helmets of the Boston Patriots. All things being equal, they'd still be an insufferable team, of course, so I guess the world wouldn't be that perfect.

I definitely see now how this probably inspired the 'Flying Elvis' logo. I wish someone would put it on a helmet because no matter how much I try to visualize it I can't concede that it works on a football helmet. I think what I like about the 'FE' is that it flows perfectly across the side of the helmet and is simple enough to get the point across, yet descriptive enough to have some style and grace. This logo seems like it wouldn't work without being altered in someway. seems to detailed in the head and not detailed enough in the 'flag' area. Its almost heavily weighted in the front and too light in the back.

I think that if you tilted Elvis forward a little bit so that he appeared "charging" and then reduced or reshaped the red tails, his chin would form the bottom of a near triangle, and it would alleviate the issue with the logo appearing very small when lined up in the same space as the other logos, and it would make it appear "tougher".

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

patprototype.jpg

Here it is on a helmet. I like it a lot. Almost as good as the tricorner hats!

Not bad, but I think something like this would look even better:

xCBsM.png

NewPatHelmet.png

I like the white helmet, but I think that navy would look better. The US flag isn't royal, it's navy.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Since Ice_Cap took mine right out of the gate, this is my second choice:

wolf.gif

Clean it up a bit and that's a solid logo.

This drives me crazy. For some reason, somehow, the "accepted" version of this online, including the Nordiques entry on wikipedia, shows this as a dull, muted jersey without any teal.

Nordiques_proposed.jpg

I suspect it may have been a "jersey tweak" on this very board by someone who didn't like the teal. No matter where it began, it's been reposted over and over again and is wrong. Completely wrong. The only known photo of the planned jerseys shows the unmistakable use of a generous amount of teal, as well as a much richer blue and the use of black, very much unlike the lavender and silver version which has infested the internet in recent years.

See for yourself, the one and only photo of the real thing, teal and all.

1995-96Nordiquesjerseys.png

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

While I'm not going to go so far as saying it's a good thing the Nordiques moved before they could wear those sweaters, because it wasn't a good thing the Nords moved and I'm not a retard, but those are terrible for an NHL team. Would've been pretty good for, say, the AHL/IHL Maine Nordiques or something, but not the NHL. Would've been dated in three years, maybe sooner.

The wraparound Pat Prototype is pretty neat in theory, just worried about it being too stripey from the back. All that red upsets the red/blue balance of the logo. It looks good in royal blue, but I recolored it because that probably would've happened along the way as it did with Flying Elvis. All three concepts look good, if you ask me.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I've seen it in anything from medium to navy blue. One time on public access, there was a flag with 49 stars.

"I'll be deep in the cold, cold ground before I recognize Missoura!"

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Sorry... I don't care how you tweak the stripes, or what shade of Blue the patriot character is rendered in, this mark screams mid-1970s to early-1980s insurance company/local bank logo. At best, it might - MIGHT - cut it as a secondary mark (sans stripes), but I don't even know about that.

I can see the local bank logo now that you say it, but only because we've never had the chance to fully associate it with the Patriots, or anything, really. So what's your case for whichever Patriots logo you prefer?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived