Best Unused Logos

IceCap

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
dm4r9ha8zuh8zuy1mocc.gif

This is EASILY one of my favorite SB logo designs...but it's completely understandable why it was replaced.

I share your sentiment. I feel the sanme way about this logo. It's a nice one.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

We've had a couple of prototype/unused re-brand threads through the years, so I thought it would be nice to have a thread dedicated to everyone's favourite logos from the world of what-could-have-been. I'll start.

ya8qoagwzweacwl1431mhfsef.gif

This is the best logo the Patriots organization ever came up with, in my opinion.

I don't mean to bash your opinion, because you are more than entitled to it...but I honestly don't understand how THIS logo is anywhere close to being better than anything that the Pats have put out there in their entire history. I despise the Pat Patriot logo and I think it totally destroys this logo. Just because its completely different and never been used it doesn't mean its good. Don't you think if this logo was anywhere close to good that someone would have pushed to have it used in someway??? To call it "the best logo the Patriots organization ever came up with" seems a lot like more like an opinion shared by a very small group of people. I honestly can't understand why people keep bashing the Flying Elvis logo. Its the best thing they've come up with since they've been in existence...but maybe thats just MY opinion, and maybe I'm the only one. *shoulder shrug* (I doubt it though)

See, the thing is that it's not "completely different" from the Flying Elvis. It's a profile of a minuteman interpolated with an American flag, which the Flying Elvis also is, but this is a superior rendering of that concept because it's more clearly both of those ideas, while the Flying Elvis is more abstract. Also, the logo, being vaguely rectangular, is better suited for NFL design. Amidst fellow logos, it's vastly superior to the wispy little brushstroke that appears next to Raiders, Jets, Packers, Colts, and Steelers logos today. Finally, the profile of the man in the canton just looks more chiseled, masculine, and "football-y" (how eerie that it now seems to resemble Belichick) than the Flying Elvis, which is pretty devoid of character except for the fact that it has something resembling long sideburns which lend a handy pejorative.

As for "if it were so good, why didn't they use it?", they were all prepared to use it until the handful of degenerates who actually attended Patriots games in the 1970s booed it off the field. I guess they couldn't alienate their base.

So yeah, Pat Prototype is the best logo they ever had. In a perfect world, we'd have that logo on the helmets of the Boston Patriots. All things being equal, they'd still be an insufferable team, of course, so I guess the world wouldn't be that perfect.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

dm4r9ha8zuh8zuy1mocc.gif

This is EASILY one of my favorite SB logo designs...but it's completely understandable why it was replaced.

If they wanted to "honor" troops and 9/11 victims fine, but that's what patches and helmet stickers are for. Changing from this to the flag-inspired logo was a pretty blatant attempt to cash in on a tragedy. I really don't see what's so understandable about that.

1997BuccaneersPrototype.png

The Bucs should use that logo.

While I like the prevalence of more orange within the logo, there are a few "problems" with the logo as drawn:

1. Dimensions of the "banner" or flag. As rendered, it fits into the space allocated on the helmet, but if you were to interpolate the size and dimensions of the flag/banner without the fold, we're talking about a flag with dimensions of about 1:4, instead of 2:3 or other similar flag proportions. It would be more like a streamer than a flag. And, as shown on the logo depiction, the emblem on the flag/streamer would not be centered.

2. How exactly is the flag attached to the sword? At least in the current logo, you get the idea that it is wrapped around the sword. This logo looks like somebody tied a pirate streamer to the tip and the blade of a sword with thread or fishing line-- which would of course be CUT by the sharpness of the sword.

3. Why is one side of the banner/streamer orange and the other red? If it was black, we could say it is in shadow, but it is orange.

It is what it is.

dm4r9ha8zuh8zuy1mocc.gif

If they wanted to "honor" troops and 9/11 victims fine, but that's what patches and helmet stickers are for. Changing from this to the flag-inspired logo was a pretty blatant attempt to cash in on a tragedy. I really don't see what's so understandable about that.

You're conflating "understandable" with "defensible." You can get why they did it without necessarily agreeing that it was an honorable or altruistic action.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Here's a strong candidate:

nyklgmbbhe362qbke35qmozvf.gif

This logo wasn't quite unused. It showed up on a fair amount of merchandise the summer before the Ravens' first season. Somewhere, I have an old, worn out hat with it on it.

We've had a couple of prototype/unused re-brand threads through the years, so I thought it would be nice to have a thread dedicated to everyone's favourite logos from the world of what-could-have-been. I'll start.

This is the best logo the Patriots organization ever came up with, in my opinion.

I don't mean to bash your opinion, because you are more than entitled to it...but I honestly don't understand how THIS logo is anywhere close to being better than anything that the Pats have put out there in their entire history. I despise the Pat Patriot logo and I think it totally destroys this logo. Just because its completely different and never been used it doesn't mean its good. Don't you think if this logo was anywhere close to good that someone would have pushed to have it used in someway??? To call it "the best logo the Patriots organization ever came up with" seems a lot like more like an opinion shared by a very small group of people. I honestly can't understand why people keep bashing the Flying Elvis logo. Its the best thing they've come up with since they've been in existence...but maybe thats just MY opinion, and maybe I'm the only one. *shoulder shrug* (I doubt it though)

See, the thing is that it's not "completely different" from the Flying Elvis. It's a profile of a minuteman interpolated with an American flag, which the Flying Elvis also is, but this is a superior rendering of that concept because it's more clearly both of those ideas, while the Flying Elvis is more abstract. Also, the logo, being vaguely rectangular, is better suited for NFL design. Amidst fellow logos, it's vastly superior to the wispy little brushstroke that appears next to Raiders, Jets, Packers, Colts, and Steelers logos today. Finally, the profile of the man in the canton just looks more chiseled, masculine, and "football-y" (how eerie that it now seems to resemble Belichick) than the Flying Elvis, which is pretty devoid of character except for the fact that it has something resembling long sideburns which lend a handy pejorative.

As for "if it were so good, why didn't they use it?", they were all prepared to use it until the handful of degenerates who actually attended Patriots games in the 1970s booed it off the field. I guess they couldn't alienate their base.

So yeah, Pat Prototype is the best logo they ever had. In a perfect world, we'd have that logo on the helmets of the Boston Patriots. All things being equal, they'd still be an insufferable team, of course, so I guess the world wouldn't be that perfect.

See, I couldn't disagree more. The flying Elvis took what was a decent idea in this logo and made it fluid and visually effective. This version is too boxy, the head looks forced into it's space, and wouldn't look good on a helmet. Flying Elvis corrects all these shortcomings. Pat the Patriot on the other hand was a poorly rendered cartoon, not a logo, and is not missed by anyone with the slightest bit of taste.

dm4r9ha8zuh8zuy1mocc.gif

But isn't THAT the American way?

Not the best logo ever, by any means, but would have done wonders for the Thrashers branding (anyone know why it's not on the mothership anymore?)

Thrashers.gif

i tried to do this some justice awhile back....

2nddrafthildy.th.jpg3drafthildy.th.jpg

Braves.jpg

BigMac's posts make me want to punch babies.

Hockey is weird and I love it.

baronsjersey0002_op_800x600.jpg

The Cleveland Barons' never-worn road jersey. They were going to switch to this style, but went bankrupt first. One of those sits in the Hall of Fame. (the hemline stripes are the same as the sleeve stripes, nice and simple).

Also, while part of me likes that pats logo, it looks far better suited for life insurance than a football team

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

fa2ed86heghaczg9phhfigavw.gif

Oh good lord Chapeeko, fans throughout the BILLS chat at that time, and Fan-TV on Empire Sports Network call-in were dreading the notion of using that logo, even as it was considered as a proposed secondary logo. There was a big uproar at the time, haha.

Similar as I had heard 49er fans and media had a near riot over this one, that was supposedly known as the 1-day wonder :grin:

1004.gif

Thought this thread was for the BEST unused logos? This one was a monstrosity that rightly incensed fans and the media to the point that Eddie DeBartalo quickly made it disappear. What a mess it was from a design standpoint. Completely irredeemable logo, particularly in light of the classic it tried to replace.

To each their own, but I think even the dreaded Flying Elvis blows that thing away. The unused one is clunky and just plain ugly. At least Elvis is streamlined...

dm4r9ha8zuh8zuy1mocc.gif

This could be re-issued for SB XLVII or XLVIII for their next go-round in 2012-13[if we get the

NFL this year or possibly the next].

majorleaguebaseball3fi.gif

nflfan8bf.jpg

319rg.jpg

dccomics5vs.png

antimtv.png

Archived