Best Unused Logos

IceCap

I can see the local bank logo now that you say it, but only because we've never had the chance to fully associate it with the Patriots, or anything, really. So what's your case for whichever Patriots logo you prefer?

From the standpoint of merchandise, Flying Elvis is terrible because it's so asymmetrical that it always looks bad when it's placed in a symmetrical spot, such as the center chest of a shirt, or when it's locked up with text above or below it. On the other hand, it's a great helmet logo because of the fact that it has a clear focal point in the head but has a great quality in the flag that covers and flows nicely with the curves of the helmet.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So what's your case for whichever Patriots logo you prefer?

Frankly, I've never felt that any of the Patriots' logos was particularly strong. They all have relative "strengths" and they all have glaring weaknesses.

* The "Pat Patriot" logo was very much a product of its time and clearly exhibits the fact that it was designed by a 1950s newspaper cartoonist. That said, ever since the Miami Dolphins modernized/streamlined their mark, I've wondered what it might look like if the Patriots hired someone to do the same to "Pat". I'm sure that merchandising partners would bemoan the fact that, even modernized, the "Pat Patriot" logo would be difficult to reproduce in small size.

* The "Flying Elvis" is too asymmetrical to ever look truly good rendered in an environment that demands symmetry, but it does work on the team's helmets.

Someone here did a modernized Pat Patriot that I think we all agreed was the best job anyone could do with tthat thing. And it was good, yeah, but the fundamental premise of a hiking minuteman just isn't something I can get on board with, I guess. It's no more absurd than a dolphin in a football helmet, and yet that's a lasting mark that can withstand various iterations. Probably because the Dolphins were a powerhouse and the Patriots were a clown college. Ah well.

Flying Elvis looks good, but not great, on a helmet. Even though the face is a clear focal point, it's a pretty uninspiring face. I will give you that it follows the contour of the helmet nicely.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

fa2ed86heghaczg9phhfigavw.gif

Oh good lord Chapeeko, fans throughout the BILLS chat at that time, and Fan-TV on Empire Sports Network call-in were dreading the notion of using that logo, even as it was considered as a proposed secondary logo. There was a big uproar at the time, haha.

I don't understand the hate for that logo, it looks far better than the Buffalo paired with a Tron streak...

I like that one better as a primary. I like having the city name's first initial represented in the primary somehow, kind of a counterpart to the Calgary Flames. I've no problem with the team's logo appearing decapitated because lol the Canucks suck

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Came across this today. It's fom 2006. The bottom one is a leak of the Ducks Edge logo, and the top one is one of the finalists that didn't make the cut.

ducks078fr.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Came across this today. It's fom 2006. The bottom one is a leak of the Ducks Edge logo, and the top one is one of the finalists that didn't make the cut.

ducks078fr.jpg

How they decided to use the script over that top logo is completely beyond me. That would have made a fine logo.

As far as that winged-shield logo they used to use...did someone say "lawsuit"?? :P

That winged-shield was a horrible logo, which makes it all the more perplexing that they stole the idea. If you are going to steal someone's design, at least steal a good one.

What? I love the Winged shield.

uta-big-sam-little-uta.png

dm4r9ha8zuh8zuy1mocc.gif

This is EASILY one of my favorite SB logo designs...but it's completely understandable why it was replaced.

This could be re-issued for SB XLVII or XLVIII for their next go-round in 2012-13[if we get the

NFL this year or possibly the next].

It could... except that the NFL has gone to the generic slick silver logos for every Super Bowl for the foreseeable future.

7nojjsgq15xjegiqtichf47vr.gifsb46.jpg

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

johnnycanuck.png

It's not unused. It's appears on the helmets of Canucks players when they wear their alt jerseys.

ducks078fr.jpg

Maybe it's because it looked too much like the Thrashers logo. But whatever the real reason is, I'm going to nominate it as well. Even if the Ducks really wanted to go with black and orange, the rejected logo would of been great for a minor league affiliate. Damn shame all it ever became was scrapped and forgotten.

The Mark Verlander interview had a video with some of his designs. He mentioned in the interview that he presented the Bengals with an updated head logo. Here it is.

Screenshot2011-07-21at35130PM.png

Here's his updated NFL logo that didn't make it.

Screenshot2011-07-21at35246PM.png

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

That tiger head is bad, it looks like a clipart logo for a build-a-team in the Madden games. It's even worse than the crappy one the Bengals use. After looking through his designs, I see that he is the guy responsible for almost every rebranding in the past 10 years featuring pointed serifs as in the NFL logo above. I am not a fan of that aspect.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived