Uniforms that your team never should have worn

Jahgee

Flyers - 2008

flyers_edge_alt.jpg

Penguins - 2008

dm_110418_nhl_pens_light_game3.jpg

Flyers and Penguins fan? That's blasphemy.

oh don't get me wrong, i agree. i grew up a pens fan but living in the philadelphia area it's just too hard to root against the flyers. i take a lot of :censored: for being a pens fan over here but all my friends are flyers fans and all their games are on tv and i love all the other philly teams so i just don't have it in my heart to hate them.

can't turn my back on the pens though, loved them since i was 7 or 8.

21dh5qp.png

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nhl/vancouver/SedlbauerVan.jpg http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nhl/vancouver/GHanlonVan.jpg

Nuff said

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nhl/vancouver/SandlakVan.jpg

Yellow helmets FTL

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nhl/washington/TwilliamsWas.jpg

damn those white pants to hell

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nhl/washington/SutherbyWas.jpg

I felt the blue and white jerseys were perfect, but instead they replace that gorgeous blue jersey with this BFBS jersey with horrible colour balance.

sport-scarf_celtic-2_zps105bfcbf.png

i would go with fisherman but i actually like that set and at this point it would be like punching an baby in a crib.

so offer these:

Islanders25.png

while my overreaction to these was pure show for about a year, my dislike for them was real. i absolutely hated the islanders looking like a recolored 91 penguins knock off. I would have preferred this template on the Penguins. which would have given them a psuedo-retro feel to it.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

The initial Edge version of the Ducks jerseys.

I may complain about the wordmark enough, but its teeny-tiny size here takes the piss.

getz.png

Ugh, right. I had forgotten about that for a minute. At least they finally put on larger wordmark to the jersey after that year. The other problem this caused was they really only made the larger logoed jerseys for people that started the season with the team. I remember players getting called up or midseason trades that still got the smaller logo, and it stood out against the rest of the team. Looked really weird.

The other thing that pisses me off about that, is that the replicas had the small logo too. The replicas still have the small logo. Hell the authentics still have the small logo. The only time there is the larger logoed jerseys is on the ice or if you buy a game-worn jersey or get it from one of those "off-the-back" promos.

So not only are replicas not the same cut or don't have the stripe connect all the way around (like the authentics and on-ice products), but they don't even have the same logo. It's ridiculous.

Then of course we had Bobby Ryan changing his number from 54 to 9, with his new jersey having the smaller logo as well. And yes, having only the small logo jerseys available for purchase sucks. It's like the only way you can buy a brand new, big logoed Ducks jersey is if you get the third.

To me the Ducks management comes across as if they treat their own primary logo as an afterthought.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

TCU's "Till Hell Freezes Over" Pro Combats

105616991_display_image.jpg?1290467229

Dallas Stars current "College" uniforms

dallas-stars-jan-26-2011-3-600.jpg

Mavs P Diddy unifroms (blue instead of green)

Dallas-Mavericks-Have-Thrown-Lakers-Into-Huge-Downfall.jpg

Spurs Taco Bell/"fiesta" logo (Yeah, I know it's not a uniform, but I find it bad enough to inculde)

spurs+logo.jpg

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

Toronto Maple Leafs:

mats-sundin.jpg

Silver outlines and the awful TML logo.

Toronto Blue Jays:

Ricky-Romero.jpg

Generally speaking they never should have gone to their current look in 2004 (not even the improved road jersey from 2008 can save it). The black jersey and toothpaste T cap is the worst combination, though.

Hamilton Tiger-Cats:

darrenflutie2810.jpg

"Hey, lets draw attention to our horrible, outdated logo by blowing it up and sticking it on the shoulders!"

San Diego Chargers:

darren-sproles-san-diego-chargers-football-analysis-nfl-2010-stats.jpg

I like the idea behind the current uniform, but there's just to many little things that it does wrong for me to like it.

Toronto Raptors:

6-the-toronto-raptors-pinstriped-jerseys1995-1999.jpg

Just....no.

Kitchener Rangers:

IMG_6926.jpg

I applaud the attempt to create an identity distinct from the New York Rangers', but this was not the way to do it.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: This is kind of a default choice more than anything. What they have now is a really sold look, and the creamsicle uniforms as a whole have become such a huge entry in sports uniform infamy that it would be a shame to have it erased. So if a look could be wiped from history, it can be this one. (Btw, that's Steve Spurrier grabbing his crotch)

mckay-spurrier.jpg

Orlando Magic: Just so plain

ORLANDO-MAGIC-VS-INDIANA-PACERS.jpg

Tampa Bay Lightning: If they keep to their word that they will make a few more slight modifications to the jersey in the future (as in add more black and victory stripes), this could end up being their best look. But this looks just feels like they're trying to make up tradition that never existed while erasing the tradition that was already there.

0131-tbl-playersmodel.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1296533964605

Tampa Bay Rays: Taken by itself, this isn't that bad of a look. But compared to the awesome gradient set from 1998-2000 and the fairly unique green set from 2001-2007, it's just awfully generic.

tampa-bay-rays_395.jpg

Florida Gators: It's been posted here already, but the 2005 one orange sleeve look. I hesitate to bash it too much because I know a whole bunch of Nike teams did the same thing, but it just looks so bad.

Hamilton Tiger-Cats:

darrenflutie2810.jpg

"Hey, lets draw attention to our horrible, outdated logo by blowing it up and sticking it on the shoulders!"

On the other hand, that was a good look for the Stamps

But their RBK look is one I'd include for never should have worn, as well as the black helmets & any use of the all black pyjama pants--especially with a white jersey & red helmet.

Now onto the Flames

These ones were horrendous-

flame3rdp.png

flame3rdiip.png

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Hamilton Tiger-Cats:

darrenflutie2810.jpg

But their RBK look is one I'd include for never should have worn, as well as the black helmets & any use of the all black pyjama pants--especially with a white jersey & red helmet.

Now onto the Flames

These ones were horrendous-

flame3rdp.png

flame3rdiip.png

I agree about that being the best look the Stampeders have ever had. Now, if the horsehead and Flaming "C" (minus the unnecessary white outline) were to switch positions, I would feel much, much better about the black jersey.

TCU-Ed-Wesley-v-AFA1.jpg

The top and bottom go okay together (looked great vs. Baylor with purple helmets), but the two frogskins (helmet and numbers) don't match and it bugs me to wear a 2009 special helmet with a 2010 special top and the 2010 normal pants. Too much mixing and matching.

But that is still #2 behind:

80922529.7lJ2yZsJ.TCULavender.jpg

no explanation needed

Hamilton Tiger-Cats:

darrenflutie2810.jpg

Agreed on both counts. That's a sharp look for Calgary.

I love the Bulls, but these are bad

The mid 1990's pinstripe, were bad, but the worst part is that the shorts lacked the "diamond" design.

2mfvbvr35etmph7g34eveeh5o.gif

Saint Patricks Day greens, especially when they wore these at home against the Celtics, that was just wrong.

8xongfawkh0iq6c1er87svqpk.gif

I hate all of the "Latin Nights" uniforms...

gdhjn48fvg1nq9t89bi2gq5eu.gif

Now, if the horsehead and Flaming "C" (minus the unnecessary white outline) were to switch positions, I would feel much, much better about the black jersey.

Well, I'm just glad they dumped the horse head--at first I couldn't figure out what bothered me about it--then I realized it had no mane.

But that's not all that bugs me about it--but it's a big part of it.

The uni template is good though.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Archived