Great team Nicknames

Dexter Morgan

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Monsters of the Midway.

Yeah, this one cannot be emphasized enough.

I've always liked the Friars for the Padres since the Swinging Friar is one of the best mascots in the league.

When the Brewers were managed by Harvey Keunn in the 1970s and again in the 1980s, the local press called them "Harvey's Wallbangers".

I always thought that an inspired nickname on many levels. Incorporated a reference to the manager, the team's power hitting and the boozy nature of the club's name and of Milwaukee itself.

Murderer's Row (1927 Yankees)

WAMCO (While-Alomar-Molitor-Carter-Olerud, 1993 Jays)

Big Red Machine ('70s Reds)

K-Gun Offense (Early '90s Bills)

Greatest Show on Turf (1999-2001 Rams)

Rainbow Warriors (Jeff Gordon's Late 90's #24 Team)

My top 15:

1. The Dream Team

2. Steel Curtain

2. Monsters of the Midway

3. Phi Slamma Jamma

4. Purple People Eaters

5. Broad Street Bullies

6. Fab Five

7. Murderer's Row

8. Greatest Show on Turf

9. The Big Red Machine

10. New York Sack Exchange

11. Doomsday Defense

12. Black Sox

13. Orange Crush

14. Run-TMC

15. The Electric Company

Names that have multiple references and/or puns work the best, especially when they're specific to the team, group, or city. Names that could technically refer to anyone (Doomsday Defense) got bumped down a little for me. Doomsday Defense is a great nickname, but it could technically refer to, well, anybody. Yes, I know the Dream Team is the same, but it's just perfect enough without an explanation.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

"The Hogs" - I think it's the first (and only!) time where a group of offensive linemen sparked a fan trend that continues to this day. Some Skins fans attend the games just to watch the O-line.

The Big Red Machine has become the go-to naming device for every Reds team since. In 1990 they were "The New Red Machine". In 99 when they won an absurd amount of games away from home they were "The Big Road Machine" and last year a lot of people went back to "The New Red Machine" again. Of course, a lot of people use the "Redlegs" when talking about them, but that was at one point an official team nickname.

For the Bengals I've heard them referred to as the "Cats", "Tigers", "Stripes", and "Whodeys".

For the Blue Jackets most people will just shorten it to "Jackets" or go with the "CBJ's". I've on a few occasions heard people call them the "Soldiers" and once I heard someone use "Navy Blazers".

PvO6ZWJ.png

When the Brewers were managed by Harvey Keunn in the 1970s and again in the 1980s, the local press called them "Harvey's Wallbangers".

I always thought that an inspired nickname on many levels. Incorporated a reference to the manager, the team's power hitting and the boozy nature of the club's name and of Milwaukee itself.

This followed on the heels of "Bambi's Bombers", in honor of George Bamberger. That was a favorite of mine because my mother bowled with his wife (meaning I got to meet him a number of times -- incredibly nice man).

Other favorites of mine --

Motor City Kitties -- Detroit Tigers

Big Red Machine -- Cincinnati Reds (worthy of another mention)

Danny and the Miracles -- Univ. of Kansas 1987(?) NCAA basketball champions

Phi Slamma Jamma -- Univ. of Houston basketball circa 1982-84

Fearsome Foursome -- L.A. Rams 1960s defensive line

Air Coryell -- San Diego Chargers circa 1978-82

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

The Gashouse Gang doesn't seem to have a mention yet, and is a favourite of mine. Somehow very atmospheric of the times and the teams style at the time. Murderers row as well (somehow baseball always seemed to do these things well!) And Dem Bums for the Brooklyn Dodgers.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Archived