Oregon and Boise State

PeterRiportella

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oregon continues the same mistake they made in the title game last year and Boise State's is... plain. The one-side logo helmet is particularly stupid.

It's as if Nike is saying, "We'll let you people know what's cool."

From the mega-thread....

So I guess the point of Pro Combat isn't to do something different, seeing as these uniforms use last year's designs ;)

The Broncos set is frustratingly close to good. Only colouring one sleeve and only using the logo on one side of the helmet looks terrible, and really drags the whole look down. Plus, I'm not sure if the BSU logo looks that great rendered in that size. Something about the horse head seems "off."

The Oregon set is worse then the National Championship game set. Like that set, this one foregoes school colours in favour of black and highlighter yellow. At least with the National Championship game set, though, you could see the wing pattern (the best part about Oregon's current design). The double black thing might look "slick" in pictures taken under controlled lighting, but I don't see them translating very well on television on game day. Sort of like how the Jaguars' teal flaked black helmet looks great in promo photos but just comes off as black on television. Black on black numbers is also a no-no. Maybe the highlighter yellow outline will be enough, maybe it won't, but it still looks terrible.

The worst part about this is that the core idea behind this set could have lead to a fantastic uniform. I'm a big fan of uniform sets that can pull off a two colour look without using white, but the key there is to actually use team colours. Replace the black with green, the highlighter yellow with athletic gold, and make the wings and numbers athletic gold. That would have been a convincingly modern look that both played to Oregon's supposed dislike of the traditional while still honouring the school by using its colour scheme.

That's it? Two of Nike's favorite schools to mess with and that's all they did? How incredibly anticlimactic. That won't produce a board explosion at all.

Restating my post from the other thread.

Normally I fall on the more traditional side of designs, but hey, if you want to go the modern route, those Oregon uniforms look great. They almost make them look like glow-in-the-dark ninja turtles. :)

That's it? Two of Nike's favorite schools to mess with and that's all they did? How incredibly anticlimactic. That won't produce a board explosion at all.

That just about sums my thoughts as well. Very disappointed with Oregon. It's just a recolor of their current jersey. I actually like Boise helmet, but nothing much else is going on... wait, holy crap did we just agree on something?

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

That just about sums my thoughts as well. Very disappointed with Oregon. It's just a recolor of their current jersey. I actually like Boise helmet, but nothing much else is going on... wait, holy crap did we just agree on something?

Prepare the bunkers, the nukes are flying, Spleen and Kevin agreed on something.

Signature.png

TrophyCase-1.png

These uniforms don't necessarily look awful, in fact they look fairly decent, but like Georgia's pro combat there is almost no creativity. Nike just took both Boise State and Oregon's unused bowl game options, meaning that they didn't even create new uniforms. Boise's is essentially a white version of last year's pro combat, while Oregon's is simply a recolor of their standard uniforms in Nike's colors. IMO a pro combat uniform should at least feature some level of creativity, and these two uniforms are lacking in that department.

RS-1.png?t=1312302854Bruins.png?t=1312302924Pats3.png?t=1312302963Cel.png?t=1312303005

For Oregon, I like the idea of numbers on the under-sleeves. If Nike is eliminating TV numbers from the shoulders, this is a good compromise. Of course I dislike that Oregon has ignored green and yellow in favor of black, anthracite, and volt, but that's kind of their thing. *shrugs* The combination is not that bad in and of itself, but I would rather see teams stick to their traditional school colors.

For Boise State, there is a definite lack of blue on the set. I understand it's away and that's fine, but isn't Boise's "thing" blue overkill? Monochrome jerseys, blue field, orange highlights... I'm not saying it's what I would pick, but it seems like a departure from their previous designs in that respect. I'm not into the one-sided helmet logo.

By the way, I notice the pro combat gloves are all featuring the school logo on the palms when puzzled together. To me, this looks tacky.

I tire of the trend using gimmick jerseys to recruit athletes and sell merchandise. I know WSU is in the top tier of offenders (four helmets?), but I wish teams would stop it and start finding some good designs that can be worn year after year.

Go Cougs.

Archived