2011-12 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread

DCDuck

For my bracket, I'm doing something quite random: I'm basing the bracket off of the winners of the 2003 tournament; the only tournament where I called the winning team correctly.

Thus the 2012 NCAA champion will be the Florida St. Seminoles.

For your, my, Leonard Hamilton's, and everyone else in Tallahassee's sake...let's hope your '03 fortune repeats itself.to :P

Me personally, though...to the lot of the national conscience, FSU still has "upstart" written all over them?and that may actually play into their favor. And it's not like they've never been dancing before, but my gut is that the Noles will still be labeled a Cinderella if they manage to break into the Elite 8 and especially if they win their region, this despite the fact that they just took down the Heels for the conference crown.

Either way, they'll be an interesting squad to keep an eye on.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For my bracket, I'm doing something quite random: I'm basing the bracket off of the winners of the 2003 tournament; the only tournament where I called the winning team correctly.

Thus the 2012 NCAA champion will be the Florida St. Seminoles.

For your, my, Leonard Hamilton's, and everyone else in Tallahassee's sake...let's hope your '03 fortune repeats itself.to :P

Me personally, though...to the lot of the national conscience, FSU still has "upstart" written all over them?and that may actually play into their favor. And it's not like they've never been dancing before, but my gut is that the Noles will still be labeled a Cinderella if they manage to break into the Elite 8 and especially if they win their region, this despite the fact that they just took down the Heels for the conference crown.

Either way, they'll be an interesting squad to keep an eye on.

You know, FSU reminds me of Georgia Tech in 2004, a team that got really hot before the tournament and ended up in the final four. I don't think an elite eight appearance is out of the question, but I say that without seeing who they're paired with.

If I were an FSU fan I'd be feeling pretty good about my team.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Believe me, I am. :)

Exciting times in FSU basketball these days. For those not in the know, this squad did break into the Sweet 16 last year...now it's time to see if they can take that next step. They ain't been to an elite 8 since the football squad win their first 'ship, haven't seen a final four in about 30 years. So if they do manage to make it that far this go-round (and like you DG I haven't yet seen the bracket), it'll most definitely be something worth celebrating. But...there's still those in-between games they gotta play first. They ARE on a hot streak though...so let's hope they keep that spear BURNIN'!!

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

How about this one: UNC-Asheville beats Syracuse. Probable? No, hell no. But this Bulldog team is so much better than a 16 seed, and Syracuse is vulnerable. I would say LIU-Brooklyn, but they're playing MIchigan State, who is not going to lose to them. Also, watch out for South Dakota St.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

What? FFS Syracuse blew out a 16 seed 2 years ago with them being a walking wounded case without A.O. Granted I do have Cuse out in the Sweet 16 because... well... we always hit a brick wall come sweet 16 (and I have a bad feeling our rebounding woes are gonna come back to haunt us)

As for Florida State, I have no idea. Sure they beat Duke and UNC twice and won the ACC and are coming into the NCAA Tournament on a hot streak, but they lost to Harvard, Boston College, Clemson (in a blowout), Miami, and Princeton (which they scored around 10 points in the first half and then lost in 3OT) during the season. I'm not sure if I'm that confident in a BCS-conference team who went 0-2 against the Ivy League and lost to the worst team in the ACC making that deep of a run

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

What? FFS Syracuse blew out a 16 seed 2 years ago with them being a walking wounded case without A.O. Granted I do have Cuse out in the Sweet 16 because... well... we always hit a brick wall come sweet 16 (and I have a bad feeling our rebounding woes are gonna come back to haunt us)

First of all, that was two years ago, and second of all, it's going to happen at some point, and third of all, UNC Asheville is the best 16 seed I've ever seen. Syracuse has not been playing well as of late, and it's very possible they underestimate them and get caught with their pants down. I don't think that's going to happen, but don't count out that possibility.

Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

How about this one: UNC-Asheville beats Syracuse. Probable? No, hell no. But this Bulldog team is so much better than a 16 seed, and Syracuse is vulnerable. I would say LIU-Brooklyn, but they're playing MIchigan State, who is not going to lose to them. Also, watch out for South Dakota St.

How about this one: Keep us informed of that Oregon NIT championship chase and leave any talking about "The Varsity" tournament to others.

First of all, that was two years ago, and second of all, it's going to happen at some point, and third of all, UNC Asheville is the best 16 seed I've ever seen. Syracuse has not been playing well as of late, and it's very possible they underestimate them and get caught with their pants down. I don't think that's going to happen, but don't count out that possibility.

1) How many 16 seeds have you seen over the years?

2) How many UNC-Asheville games have you watched that make them the best 16 seed you've ever seen?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1) How many 16 seeds have you seen over the years?

2) How many UNC-Asheville games have you watched that make them the best 16 seed you've ever seen?

1. All of them since 2005

2. I watched the Big South Championship game, and have been following this team a bit this season. This team has been improving tremendously.

Look, I'm not saying it's going to happen. I'm saying watchout for that game, because I believe it has the potential for a monster upset.

No. No, no, no, no.

No 16 seed has ever beaten a 1 seed. It's not going to happen this year. Only way it does happen is if the entire Syracuse team came down with food poisoning and had to forfeit the game.

Turns out Washington wasn't even close to making it. The committee said that had Xavier beaten St. Bonaventure, there would be a vote for the extra at large spot among 6 teams. None of the 6 was Washington. Just a humiliating year for the Pac-12.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Crazy stat I came across. Per ESPN.

In the previous eight years that the No. 1 overall seed has been revealed, that top seed has reached the Final Four just three times. Can the Wildcats overcome this disturbing track record for the top seeds?

To expand on that point, reaching the Elite Eight has been far from a sure thing for the No. 1 overall seed. Last year, Ohio State became the fourth top overall seed in the eight years it's been announced to lose in the Sweet 16 or earlier. Florida in 2007 is the only No. 1 overall seed to win the title.

2011 - Ohio State lost in the Sweet 16

2010 - Kansas lost in the Round of 32

2009 - Louisville lost in the Elite 8

2008 - North Carolina lost in the National Semi-Final

2007 - Florida won the National Championship

2006 - Duke lost in the Sweet 16

2005 - Illinois lost in the National Championship

2004 - Kentucky lost in the Round of 32

Now we may think that THIS Kentucky can't dare lose. But what's the difference between this Kentucky team and the last 8 overall Number One seeds? (Outside of the Gators obviously)

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

I filled out my bracket and the Final Four teams are Wichita St., Louisville, Florida St., and SDSU. I have Louisville beating Wichita and FSU beating San Diego St. In the Final Game, Louisville will beat FSU 67-66 and get their 3rd title in school history. I try not to be too biased about my picks but this is what I think about the tourament.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

In the previous eight years that the No. 1 overall seed has been revealed, that top seed has reached the Final Four just three times. Can the Wildcats overcome this disturbing track record for the top seeds?

To expand on that point, reaching the Elite Eight has been

far from a sure thing for the No. 1 overall seed. Last year, Ohio State became the fourth top overall seed in the eight years it's been announced to lose in the Sweet 16 or earlier. Florida in 2007 is the only No. 1 overall seed to win the title.

Now we may think that THIS Kentucky can't dare lose. But what's the difference between this Kentucky team and the last 8 overall Number One seeds? (Outside of the Gators obviously)

Everybody said that about the Jayhawks 2 years ago. They seemed like they'd win it all for sure then that Farokenmesh(?) guy happened.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

To expand on that point, reaching the Elite Eight has been far from a sure thing for the No. 1 overall seed. Last year, Ohio State became the fourth top overall seed in the eight years it's been announced to lose in the Sweet 16 or earlier. Florida in 2007 is the only No. 1 overall seed to win the title.

For one none of those teams had an inside presence like Anthony Davis. That alone I would say makes them the best defensive team coming into the tournament.

Kentucky may not win the National title, but they will never lose a game in the post. If your going to beat them it has to be a transition game or a fast break game. The two teams that can do that are Carolina and Syracuse. If Kentucky goes down I think its going to be one of those two teams that beats them.

I filled out my bracket and the Final Four teams are Wichita St., Louisville, Florida St., and SDSU. I have Louisville beating Wichita and FSU beating San Diego St. In the Final Game, Louisville will beat FSU 67-66 and get their 3rd title in school history. I try not to be too biased about my picks but this is what I think about the tourament.

You need to PM me the name of your dealer because that's some high-grade stuff you're on if you're making those picks.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Archived