2011-12 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread

DCDuck

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right now The Pit sounds like its located in Boulder.

Did Colorado pay students to go? I figured UNLV would have the crowd advantage easily for this one.

Also UNLV looks like dog crap. Think they've already called three timeouts and its not even 10 minutes into the first half.

Who wouldve guessed a Big 12 retread would save the Pac's rep this year?

Edit: They hold off the Rebels 68-64

I'm surprised UNLV was able to bring the game to within that margin.

Colorado didn't play bad, but UNLV lost that game way more then Colorado won it. The opening 10 minutes of that game was about as bad of a stretch as I've ever seen a D1 team go through. It wasn't so much that UNLV was missing shots as it was that they made no attempt to try and move the ball around. They were just chucking up threes out of quick isos. You might as well just take open half court shots. Both have about the same percentage of going in.

So UNLV basically just crapped the bed tonight. Baylor crapped the bed as well but just got lucky they weren't playing a better team. I know Barkley ripped into them after that game on the postgame show as he should have. If that was a regular season game practice the next day would probably be treated the same way as if they lost, but you really can't crack the whip like that in tourney time when you only have one day in between games.

Right now The Pit sounds like its located in Boulder.

Did Colorado pay students to go? I figured UNLV would have the crowd advantage easily for this one.

Probably not many UNLV fans in Albuquerque. CU is only a six hour drive - probably closer to the Pit than Vegas.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Colorado did subsidize the cost for 100 students to be there last night. Students paid $50 for the bus ride, tickets and hotel.

Participating schools typically get between 500-600 for the sub-regional (2nd and 3rd rounds) depanding on size of the venue.

There were way more then 100 students at that game and way more then 500-600 total Colorado fans at that game.

It probably was close to a 50/50 split, but Colorado brought energetic students and all I saw on UNLV's side were a bunch of old booster farts, who despite doing alot for the program aren't exactly the greatest gameday fans in the world and I can say that from personal experience. The team I worked for played alot of Sunday afternoon games and I hated thoes games A. because I had to be up early on a Sunday but also because it was very hard to get students to come out to those. But those were also our best gate days because that's when alot of these people would like to come to the games. But it was like playing a game at church sometimes. I don't think we had much of a home court advantage in those games even though the place was packed.

Good for Colorado if they can get that many students to come out though. Ultimately I think the program's entertainment value exists for the students first and foremost. I don't think the NCAA and the colleges do a good enough job of realizing that.

The noon session is not as well attended as the evening session as usual. Remember on a Thursday night, a "well oiled" group of UMN fans who bought tickets for the three sessions would root against UNLV. The same would go for CU fans who bought seats on the secondary market who also drank before the doors opened, did not get into The Pit until the CU/UNLV game began or snuck in minis.

The was a definite advantage in Colorado fans to UNLV fans, primarliy because CU shiped their entire "C-Unit" riot squad down to Albuquerque for the game. In addition to that, you heard nothing out of UNLV fans until CU's lead was cut to single-digits with about 8 minutes to go. The Rebs gave the fans nothing to cheer about by jacking up contested-three after contested-three only to brick about 80% of them. I really can't believe UNLV's head coach allowed that strategy to go on for as long as it did. It wasn't until they actally started taking smart shots and applying the full-court press that the comeback occured.

As for the Colorado fans who got "sauced" in the parking lot, I really didn't notice too many of them. We probably would've done the same had we known The Pit was a "dry" stadium. Oh well. Was still an amazing atmosphere and great win for the Buffs!

6uXNWAo.png

Is there something wrong with my TV or does Cincinnati have pink trim?

Seems odd since it's not Breast Cancer/Pink Products Awareness month or anything.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived