Lions are insane?

Brave-Bird 08

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like I said there is no way that this deserves to be a topic. I can count about 20 teams with more talent than the Lions so why don't we start threads for every single one of them? I never brought up Cleveland, someone else did. It just shows a lack of ability to come up with a logical argument so you divert attention to my team that's 2-2. Last time I checked that's not a bad record. You know who's 2-2? Pittsburgh and they were in the Superbowl last year. They'd beat Detroit by over 40 pts, and that just proves that it's early in the season. Compare Detroit to Buffalo. Both were 3-0, everyone started to call them the best teams in the league and what happened to Buffalo last week?!

Why are you comparing a score from seasons past? The 2011 Lions are not last season Lions. So your argument is moot.

Also please, name the 20 teams.

Oh that's right the Lions added Jerome Harrison (4th string RB in Cleveland) and Eric Wright the worst corner in the league....good call! I'd suggest Detroit "fans" get their super bowl tickets...

If people are going to make fun of a 2-2 team they should know there's teams out there with that record that would kick the sh** out of the Lions, like the Steelers and Jets

Please do list those 20 teams with more talent than the Lions. You would have more luck naming 20 with LESS talent. You say that we are unable to come up with a logical argument, but you sit here and say things that make no sense, and can't even back them up...

The Lions are still very young, and they are learning, but they are absolutely not lacking talent. They have dangerous players stacked up at the skill positions on offense and a QB capable of getting to an elite level. Offensive line has had three games without a sack, but one bad game at Minnesota. Defensive line is stacked, and has an elite DT right in the middle of things. Starting linebackers are greatly improved from last year, including the man who was #2 in tackles last year. Even the backups made some huge plays this week. (Ashlee Palmer, Bobby Carpenter) Secondary has some work to do, but Chris Houston and Eric Wright isn't the worst tandem in the league, and Delmas is a very good safety. The kicker has been reliable for 20 years.

And the Steelers would beat Detroit by 40? What makes you think that? The Jets would smash the Lions? The Jets beat the Lions in overtime last year because Detroit's DT missed an extra point after their kicker went down. And that was last year's Detroit. Without Stafford late in the game. Mark Sanchez isn't exactly taking the league by storm this year...

Jerome Harrison and Eric Wright were the only additions, huh? Shows how much football knowledge you have. Their two biggest FA additions were in the LB corps, with Justin Durant and Stephen Tulloch, the best MLB on the FA market. Rookie Titus Young has been very good in the slot. Rookie Nick Fairley has tons of talent, and should make his debut this week or next. Also, when comparing last ear to this year, you can count Stafford as an 'addition' too. The return of your franchise quarterback is going to have a little bit of an effect on your team...

MegatronSig2.jpg

Yes, the Lions are good, and they should be as they've had high first round picks for years. They've figured out that drafting a WR every year in the first round is not a successful plan. They get it because you look at what they've done in the draft and they've picked up a QB that can lead them (whether he stays healthy is another topic), a WR whom he can throw to, and then they've concentrated on the DL where you build dominant defenses. Are they better than last year? Yes. Are they a Super Bowl team, not a chance. They are at least 2-3 years away. Will they make the playoffs? Depends on if Stafford stays healthy. If he does, they make the playoffs. For people to say that they are not good, they are just bitter because more than likely their team sucks or has a "talented" roster (Cowboys & Eagles) filled with a bunch of underachievers. It also amuses me to sit there and read all these youngings post about how the Lions have been bad and how no one understands their futility. I remember when the Lions were good and had quite possibly the most exciting player in the game in Barry Sanders and were one game from the Super Bowl in 1991. Heck the Lions last made the playoffs in '99, but I as a Tampa Bay Buccaneers fan do know what it's like to be futile and the laughing stock of the league.

If Stafford gets hurt (again), the Lions are toast. They can't run the ball; Jahvid Best is Reggie Bush 2.0.

I think the running game is going to be the Lions undoing especially in tough matchups.

They are 29th in the league in running the ball. They will run into a team eventually that's going to have an answer for Calvin Johnson and Matt Stafford and they are going to have to find another way to win that game, whenver it may come. And while the defense is good, good is it. They aren't in the class of the 2000 Ravens or '85 Bears. Their defense just isn't good enough to win games on their own. They need points from their offense. Its just how the team is built right now. One side of the ball isn't good enough to carry the other. I don't they have that other way figured out at least not yet.

Is Jahvid Best the answer? Probably not. I think he can be part of the answer, but at this point I think its fair to say he's not an every down back. This isn't a position where you have the luxury of waiting three or four years to wait for a guy to develop. If he's not good enough to start in year one or two, you probably need to look in another direction. I can see use for him and if they can get a good power back in I think you'll see his production pick up, but him alone is not going to be enough.

Are they better than last year? Yes. Are they a Super Bowl team, not a chance.

Did anyone look at the Packers last year as a Super Bowl contender? I recall most analysts and fans outside the state of Wisconsin thought the Packers were "2-3 years away".

It's the NFL. Anything can happen.

... well, except for Alex Smith getting respect. That will never happen. Not ever. Poor guy has to learn a new offense every other year and never gets a chance to develop any sort of comfort in a system. And then he keeps getting benched.

... but I digress.

The Lions are a good team having a white-hot start not unlike the '09 Broncos, however, the Lions have won their close games by flipping the burners on and having ridiculous second halves, whereas that Broncos team just pulled horseshoes out of its ass. The Lions won't stay this good because the offensive line is bad, but there's real talent there. I think. I'm not good at liking football.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Are they better than last year? Yes. Are they a Super Bowl team, not a chance.

Did anyone look at the Packers last year as a Super Bowl contender? I recall most analysts and fans outside the state of Wisconsin thought the Packers were "2-3 years away".

It's the NFL. Anything can happen.

... well, except for Alex Smith getting respect. That will never happen. Not ever. Poor guy has to learn a new offense every other year and never gets a chance to develop any sort of comfort in a system. And then he keeps getting benched.

... but I digress.

There's a huge difference between the Packers who have been in the playoffs year in and year out and a team that hasn't been there in 11 years. The Packers know how to get to the Playoffs and play in them. When the Lions get there this year, they'll more than likely be one and out... well again, if they get there if Stafford stays healthy.

• 1 month later...

Yes, but if they don't have a coach who can keep them in line, they won't go far in those playoffs.

Because once there, they'll face only the best teams and won't be able to get away with making stupid mistakes.

I don't think Schwartz fails to keep them in line, I think he actively encourages them to step out of line. Which is much worse, in my opinion.

Agreed.

In the short term, he's replaced the "we suck" atmosphere in the locker room with an aggressive, dedicated charge. But after the first five minutes, that charge becomes a stupid recklessness that causes you yards on the field, seconds on the clock and points on the board.

And as I type this, they just got 15 yards.

On a kickoff return.

For throwing the ball at an opposing player after the play.

Which results in a missed 56-yard field goal attempt, and giving the ball back to the Saints near midfield.

Stupid.

Archived