Why aren't there female referees in male sports?

Chawls

Football. Baskeball. Baseball. Hockey. Even pro wrestling. They have rarely, if ever, used female referees/officials. Yet in the female version of most sports both male and female referees are prominently used. Why is that? Does it perhaps have something to do with the audibility of men's voices being better than women's in loud places? Is it still a social issue? I'm curious.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

I seem to recall reading about female umps working their way through the minor leagues. But there are a lot of candidates for relatively few spots.

I also expect that there's a strong institutional disincentive against women getting a start and then the experience necessary to get to the majors.

Aren't there a few female NBA refs? Same with college basketball.

There aren't many I know (probably can be counted on one hand) but I thought there we some.

I did recall a couple of female NBA refs. I don't know if they're still around. Beyond that, I can't think of any.

I saw, I came, I left.

In 1997, the NBA hired Dee Kantner and Violet Palmer to their roster of game officials. Kantner left in 2002, but Palmer still remains. There are at least eight women in the D-League, including former collegiate players Pualani Spurlock and Lauren Bass.

As for the NFL, earlier this year, Carl Johnson the league's VP for Officiating said that afemale official would be in the NFL, "soon". A NCAA official must work at that level for five season before be evaluated by the NFL.

Minor league affiliated baseball has not had a female umpire since 2007.

Gothemite is looking at it correctly. Keep in mind that when an official (male or female) starts early, say age 18 for junior high or middle school games, the priorities for them can change over the course of one's life. Part way through the process, a woman can decide to get married and have a family. As with many positions, the decision to start a family changes priorities and sometimes career aspirations. Minor league baseball is also a low paying, high stress career.

ESPNw had a week of stories on officiating in August and each major North American sport was discussed.

Actually, I was speculating that the institution itself would be stacked against women, and would discourage women in subtle and not-so subtle ways from joining and advancing.

Not that women might want to have babies.

While all that may be partially true, think about this -

Maybe most women just don't want to ref in a male sport.

The same goes for lots of other male-dominated fields. Engineering, construction, computer stuff. Is it male-dominated? Yes. Is that strictly due to discrimination? I don't think so.

No matter how much people may try to convince us otherwise, men and women are different. We have always had different strengths and interests in general. And it should be no surprise that you see these strengths and interests reflected in gender-domination of certain workforces - regardless of subtle or not-subtle discrimination.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

I am shocked myself there have not been more women since Violet Palmer debuted. I dont see why they can't be refs, maybe you would be a bit conserned in hockey and the NFL where bodies tend to fly in different directions, but MLB I think some vally girl who has never seen a baseball game would be better than Angel Hernandez, Phil Cuzzi, Joe West, Balkin' Bob, or C.B. Bucknor.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

There is at least one female ref in the UFC, which is surprising since that industry is so male-dominated except for ring girls.

Major league umps pretty much have to die for someone from AAA to get promoted.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Having female officials could, however, lessen the chance of players arguing calls. Because really, who would want to waste time arguing with a woman? On the other hand, it could be the cause for some really nasty back talk. In any case, I think the best answer has been made and that basically is that they A: just plain don't want to, and/or B: are usually not as physically suited as men to break up scuffles between supermen when necessary.

oBIgzrL.png

chelsea roffey is a goal umpire in the australian football league

Am346456-chelsea-roffey.jpgofficiating should not he

Good for her.

As for soccer, since 2004-05, FIFA has made it a mandate to assist the women's game with just female officials for female/women's games. .

Either gender could easily work men's games once they reach FIFA status, but FIFA has a referee be eligible at age 25 but officially retire at 45 for every official. Even the best soccer men are gone after 45.

Most North American officials are WAY over 45.

Dick Bavetta; Ken Mauer, Bennett Salvatore and those guys have kids who are in the "business" Officiating should not be an occupation at the professional levels.

FYI, ,Kim Winslow is the UFC referee.

Archived