Houston Astros to American League West

Mac the Knife

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't seem to find a link, but I heard it on my local sports talk radio station, that the new collective bargaining agreement will allow for 2-15 team leagues, an extra wild card per league, and some changes to the draft and the competitive balance (luxury) tax.

Note: You've never heard recently that Houston's going to the AL West, just that they're going to the AL itself.

Well, if they go to a more-balanced schedule, it won't really matter if Houston is in the same division with Texas or not.

Even with the imbalanced schedule, it's not really that much of a gain for Texas. All they'd get is 6 more road games played in the Central time zone (They're already playing three games in Houston annually.). Over the course of 162 games and 6 months, that equates to 1 game a month (or one 3-game series every three months) played at 7pm local time.

I'm not getting the big deal about why it's so great for Houston to be playing in the same league as Texas. In the big picture, it's a very slim gain for Texas, and so much of a loss for Houston....it just doesn't make much sense to me. Especially since Houston's been in the NL for nearly 50 years. It would make much more sense to shift Milwaukee, Colorado, or Arizona because of their shorter history of playing in the NL.

Well, if they go to a more-balanced schedule, it won't really matter if Houston is in the same division with Texas or not.

Even with the imbalanced schedule, it's not really that much of a gain for Texas. All they'd get is 6 more road games played in the Central time zone (They're already playing three games in Houston annually.). Over the course of 162 games and 6 months, that equates to 1 game a month (or one 3-game series every three months) played at 7pm local time.

I'm not getting the big deal about why it's so great for Houston to be playing in the same league as Texas. In the big picture, it's a very slim gain for Texas, and so much of a loss for Houston....it just doesn't make much sense to me. Especially since Houston's been in the NL for nearly 50 years. It would make much more sense to shift Milwaukee, Colorado, or Arizona because of their shorter history of playing in the NL.

It depends entirely on the schedule format once the 15/15 switch occurs. If they go with an essentially balanced schedule the financial benefit to both Texas teams would be considerable. If they keep interleague play to novelty status, the difference will probably hurt the Astros a little.

My prediction is that they'll adopt an "11-7-7-4-4-4" plan, in which a team plays the other four teams in its division 11 times a season, 7 games against each of the other teams in its league, and 4 games (or two mini-series of 2 games) against one/two teams in each division of the other league.

nav-logo.png

The word from the Los Angeles Times on the schedule breakdown:

72 divisional games

60 games outside one's division

30 interleague games. Thirty. Every goddamn year.

Someone theorized earlier that year-round interleague play could actually result in fewer IL games per year. In response, MLB offers two fingers.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

72 divisional games

Someone theorized earlier that year-round interleague play could actually result in fewer IL games per year. In response, MLB offers two fingers.

This breaks down to...

- 18 games vs. each of the four teams within the division

- 6 games vs. each of the ten other teams within the league (one 3 game series at home, one 3 game series away)

- 6 games vs. one division of five teams from the other league (one 3 game series at home, one 3 game series away). Bet they'll rotate from year to year.

nav-logo.png

I thought about how the math lines up with an NFL-style rotation, too. But then that would take the rivalry series, the only things that produce much of a gate bump in interleague (unless the Yankees or Red Sox are in town), and makes them an every-third-year thing. So we'll probably see some sort of mishmash.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I thought about how the math lines up with an NFL-style rotation, too. But then that would take the rivalry series, the only things that produce much of a gate bump in interleague (unless the Yankees or Red Sox are in town), and makes them an every-third-year thing. So we'll probably see some sort of mishmash.

Exactly.

Are there any "rivalry" series that are across divisions (i.e. Mets and Yankees are both in East, Angels and Dodgers are both in West, etc.)? Because what they could do is just fix an East vs East, Central vs Central, West vs West every year, and then rotate one other division (like NFL) every three years.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Either way, I'm going to care exactly the same amount about White Sox-Padres year in and year out.

Like the new generation of fans will always think of the Milwaukee Brewers being a mainstay in the NL Central.

Everytime this past playoffs, I heard mention of Milwaukee playing in the NL playoffs, there was always these few seconds of confusion... :lol:

tigercatssignature-1.png

And a new rumor: that Crane's going to re-brand the team in conjunction with the move to the American League. No more Astros?

Right now their theme motiff appears to be a train which makes no sense at all if your called the Astros. So either change the name to match the theme or go back to the futuristic theme they had before. Whatever they do just don't bring these back.

houston-astros.jpg

72 divisional games

This breaks down to...

- 6 games vs. each of the ten other teams within the league (one 3 game series at home, one 3 game series away)

- 6 games vs. one division of five teams from the other league (one 3 game series at home, one 3 game series away). Bet they'll rotate from year to year.

Another way to do the 30-game interleague opponent breakdown is to play 2 opposing divisions a year, with 5 series at home and 5 on the road.

That way you essentially play all interleague teams twice every 3 year cycle, once at home, and once on the road.

72 divisional games

This breaks down to...

Another way to do the 30-game interleague opponent breakdown is to play 2 opposing divisions a year, with 5 series at home and 5 on the road.

That way you essentially play all interleague teams twice every 3 year cycle, once at home, and once on the road.

If this is the way it is headed, I do like that idea. It feels more balanced and natural. I think I should head down to the Pfister or US Bank building and track down Bud before the GM meetings break up and relay that.

packchampionslfroh.png

Archived