Mets 2012 Changes

erlovepuck

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think had the Mets introduced the black as one alternate jersey and hat, and pointed to the NY Giants as inspiration as the rest of the uniform aspects, the fans would have approved.

The Mets did claim the Giants as inspiration for the black, way back when. It's just that nobody believed them, so they dropped the pretense very early on.

I think had the Mets introduced the black as one alternate jersey and hat, and pointed to the NY Giants as inspiration as the rest of the uniform aspects, the fans would have approved.

The Mets did claim the Giants as inspiration for the black, way back when. It's just that nobody believed them, so they dropped the pretense very early on.

And it was at that point that the phenomenon we've all come to know and love as "Black For Black's Sake" was born. :P

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

And it was at that point that the phenomenon we've all come to know and love as "Black For Black's Sake" was born. :P

I think Lukas had a story on this ove the summer after the ouster of the previous clubhouse manager. The black was originally only going to be drop shadow, meant to represent the shadows of the big city, but the CM, who had way too much say in it, steered everything towards what they eventually wore. He was one of those people who was way into BFBS.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

I think Lukas had a story on this over the summer after the ouster of the previous clubhouse manager. The black was originally only going to be drop shadow, meant to represent the shadows of the big city, but the CM, who had way too much say in it, steered everything towards what they eventually wore. He was one of those people who was way into BFBS.

And isn't appropriate that Charlie Samuels ends up in prison and the black is all but gone by the following off-season.

Makes you wonder why the Mets gave that much authority to a clubhouse manager in the first place!

when do we get to see the new batting practice jerseys and not just a drawing of them?

Also, will the mets get new warm up jackets, dugout jackets and fleeces as well to replace the black on the blue ones?

The dugout jackets need to look like this again, then all will be right in Metworld:

004_davey_johnson_hof.jpg

I am not totally convinced that the black is all but gone in with the Mets. These franchises tend to look for any reason to drum up apparel sales. Just look at the other leagues, there are 3rd jerseys and throw backs galore in the NHL, NBA, and NFL. Any way to create new merchandise that the fans will buy is acceptable. Very few franchises keep to their traditional uniforms exclusively. In fact the only one I can come up with is the Yankees. That being said, this seems to me to be a one year 50th celebration of the Mets so let's go back to the 1962 look. Come 2013, it will be back to black. The Mets have done this type of thing before. They have had many looks over the years, so I would be more surprised if this was a permanent move. Maybe when it comes back it will be the drop shadow and the alternate jersey and the all black hat. However the blue alternate does seem to be a way to go also. That would drum up sales big time.

As far as the Mets claiming the Giants were the inspiration for the black in the first place, well if no one believed them then shame on the Wilpons and the public relations department for not getting the message out clearly and loudly enough. The Mets as an organization fail time and time again when it comes to the pulse of their fanbase. Whether it is Citifield being a tribute to Jackie Robinson instead of the Mets or the addition of black to the uniforms. It is a travisty that the black issue was mishandled so badly. It truly should have been seen as a tip of the cap to the history of the Giants and nothing else. The public would have had a better time believing it had it not been for the Wilpon's constantly mentioning the Dodgers and never mentioning the Giants. I wish Selig would let the Wilpons purchase the Dodgers and put the Mets up for sale. Didn't they transfer ownership of the Marlins with the ownership of the Red Sox or something? He should do that here.

Come 2013, it will be back to black.

No it won't. The last vestige of black - the black alternate jersey - will be replaced by a blue alternate jersey in 2013.

Either way blue alt or black alt, and either 2013 or down the road, I am sure the black will be back. Whether it be the drop shadow and the hat or the all the way with the alt, this is the Mets. Look at the history, they tinker with the uniforms evey few years.

Keep in mind that the guy most responsible for the black was fired from the team amidst charges of stealing equipment for the collectors' market.

As far as the Mets claiming the Giants were the inspiration for the black in the first place, well if no one believed them then shame on the Wilpons and the public relations department for not getting the message out clearly and loudly enough. The Mets as an organization fail time and time again when it comes to the pulse of their fanbase.

Yes, and part of that is replacing the team's true colors with black, black and more black.

Maybe if the Mets kept black to a piping color and possibly an alternate as well, instead of muddying up their wordmarks, NOB, numbers and caps it could have been a fantastic addition to their look. But, they went with way too much of it and screwed up their look entirely. Glad to see it toned down and eventually gone.

As far as the Mets claiming the Giants were the inspiration for the black in the first place, well if no one believed them then shame on the Wilpons and the public relations department for not getting the message out clearly and loudly enough. The Mets as an organization fail time and time again when it comes to the pulse of their fanbase. Whether it is Citifield being a tribute to Jackie Robinson instead of the Mets or the addition of black to the uniforms. It is a travisty that the black issue was mishandled so badly. It truly should have been seen as a tip of the cap to the history of the Giants and nothing else. The public would have had a better time believing it had it not been for the Wilpon's constantly mentioning the Dodgers and never mentioning the Giants. I wish Selig would let the Wilpons purchase the Dodgers and put the Mets up for sale. Didn't they transfer ownership of the Marlins with the ownership of the Red Sox or something? He should do that here.

The Mets don't need black to honour the Giants. They have orange and the Giants-style NY cap logo for that.

I'm glad to see the Mets have brought back the white pinstriped look, not their vintage white crap from the past couple years.

Such a cleaner and better look.

Pinstrip uniform is still cream colored. And may only be the primary home for 2012. They may swap back to the white with piping for 2013. I think.

I guess it just looks more like clean white in the David Wright picture above.

Maybe it's the lighting.

I just think the cream isn't very pronounced. The 2010 season's cream jerseys often looked white as well. The sportslogos.net rendering of the jersey seems to exaggerate how deep (dark?) the cream is. I kind of prefer the bright whites but really just wish the pins and the plain home jerseys were both the same color. Just pick cream or white and stick with it.

If someone has seen a pic of the Mets in action wearing pins this past year where the cream is very noticable, please post it.

Actually, now that the Mets no longer have a home softball top, I don't see the need for the plain whites at all. To me, a home softball top looks best in plain white pants. Without a colored home, I'd be happy to see the Mets wearing pins 82 times per year.

EDIT: come to think of it, the value of plain whites is with the Cool Base jersey. The pins look horrible with the white underarm insert. A white Cool Base jersey should be used on hot days only; pins every other time.

Archived