Mets 2012 Changes

erlovepuck

Brilliant move to put the cap patch on the back of the hat instead of on the side. I feel like it's much less tacky back there, especially since most retail fitted and flex-fit hats have some sort of secondary logo on the back.

Granted, if I had my way, there'd be no cap patches at all in MLB, but this placement seems like the least silly way to do them.

And I can not believe the BP jersey isn't in one of Majestic's dumbass proprietary templates with contrasting panels and armpits. I'd lay down money that blue jersey's going to see game action a couple times this season.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Woah woah woah wait... the BP jerseys aren't one of the two or three Majestic templates and actually look like something that would make a good alt? And just blue and orange to boot?

This just keeps getting better and better

Wonder how close that will be to next year's blue alt.

I agree, it looks like a baseball uni, not some garbage that looks like a sportsbra, shoulder yoke, or armpit stains.

The blue alt will more than likely be the one they wore this year with Los Mets, minus the Los, which mimics the now alternate white jersey. Better move. The new BP is great for a BP, but the piping makes for a better alternate.

So is the pinstripe the primary for 2012 only, and then they switch back in 2013?

The pinstripes have been listed as the official primary for a few years now. Not that it means much.

Actually, last season they switched it. When they introduced the cream pinstripes, they made the snow-whites the official primary.

But as you say, not that it meant much. Maybe it'll mean a little more now that they're cleaning up the set.

Brilliant move to put the cap patch on the back of the hat instead of on the side. I feel like it's much less tacky back there, especially since most retail fitted and flex-fit hats have some sort of secondary logo on the back.

Granted, if I had my way, there'd be no cap patches at all in MLB, but this placement seems like the least silly way to do them.

I wondered how long it would be before other teams started copying this:

new20yankees20hat20-20jeter.jpg

I'm a Yankee fan but I can say that this year I will buy a Mets road and BP jersey. The road jersey pre MIB was a thing of beauty. It's about time they ditched the black. Too bad it seems the Islanders are about to make the BFBS mistake.

I think that's a function of the colors around it. Context matters:

checkershadow_illusion4med.jpg

The squares marked A and B are the same shade of gray.

They are!?

I was thinking the same thing. They certainly don't appear the same, even taking surrounding squares out of the equation.

Actually went into paint and cut one of the squares and moved it to the other..

Sure enough, they are.

Yeah, now my eyes hurt :wacko:

I saw, I came, I left.

Woah woah woah wait... the BP jerseys aren't one of the two or three Majestic templates and actually look like something that would make a good alt? And just blue and orange to boot?

This just keeps getting better and better

I can not believe the BP jersey isn't in one of Majestic's dumbass proprietary templates with contrasting panels and armpits. I'd lay down money that blue jersey's going to see game action a couple times this season.

Note that the Angels and Padres are only two teams with solid-color BP uniforms. The Mets are the first team to only have the sleeve ends in a different color.

m2o8ep251uf82ygdxkf2g75gm.gifdertxqgfkfcy3waindgiz4dwx.gifrwp8mpt57fblsyqf4rejbd0rd.gif

And for those of you who didn't watch the press conference, the Mets said they have permission to use the uniforms for regular-season games and intend to do so several times this year.

ScreenShot2011-12-09at052105PM.png

Tomorrow's just your future yesterday.

Looks like a slight change in wordmarks, especially noticeable when you compare the intersections of letters to the pinstripes behind it. Looks like they took away that white "outline" as well.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Am I going crazy, or did they change the "Mets" wordmark?

The angle changed slightly, and the vertical lines touching the wordmark pull the words further along the vertical axis. It could be another one of those optical illusion doohickeys.

Awesome 50th Anniversary logo and awesome uniform updates. Just overall awesomeness.

So far in 2011/2012 MLB logo and uniform redesigns, we've had two kind of good (Orioles and Marlins, IMO, aren't that great of updates, because I don't like the color scheme on the Marlins and I don't like the return of the cartoon bird for the O's) and one really good (Mets).

spacer.png

Finally, after all these years, I can finally buy a Dave Mlicki road authentic jersey.

And those ice-cream caps from 1997. I always loved that uniform before they added the drop-shadow. Olerud perhaps, B)

How about a Rey Ordonez '0' jersey :) The overachieving 97 Mets made me love baseball.

The interesting thing about all this to me is the apparent elimination of the all-black cap in addition to the awful black-and-blue cap.

Can anyone confirm if it will remain for use with the black alt?

IF NOT, we will see the return of the mythical and infamous Blue Cap with Black Jersey combination.

The Mets wore that combination exactly once, in the 2nd game of a double header sometime in 1998. I know I'm not crazy because others on this forum remember that game. Every couple of years there is a thread about it, and a witch-hunt for photographic evidence, of which there is NONE. It was unforgettable, really, it was that garish. I kinda hope that they do it again if/when they wear black this year. :)

EDIT: Kevinmets, just saw your post, we're on the same wavelength! Do you remember that game from 98? I can still picture Carlos Baerga turning a double play in that combo.

Excellent about the black cap being eliminated. This is just like when the Royals eliminated their black cap in 2006 (and redid the black road alt with new KC wordmark). They intended the black jerseys to be worn with blue caps. They were worn once, they looked terrible, got killed, and the players decided they weren't going to wear them again. I imagine the Mets will wear the black jerseys a handful of times before deciding they look ridiculous with the blue caps and never wearing them again. Good ridance. As for those black Kansas City alts which were worn once, I imagine they will be a collectors' item some day.

On the topic of the font, it is no illusion due to the pinstripes or anything. You can clearly see - on the new version the top right corner of the M lines up with the far left edge of the E. On the old version, that corner of the M almost made it to the inside loop of the E. I imagine they did this to make the wordmark accurately match what they were able to put on button-down jerseys,

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Finally, after all these years, I can finally buy a Dave Mlicki road authentic jersey.

And those ice-cream caps from 1997. I always loved that uniform before they added the drop-shadow. Olerud perhaps, B)

How about a Rey Ordonez '0' jersey :) The overachieving 97 Mets made me love baseball.

Too funny - that was my first thought too - I might have to get an Ordonez 0 jersey. Just have to make sure to get the tilde on the N.

And the 1997 (and 1998-00) Mets were fun to watch indeed.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

My understanding from the presser was that the black crown, blue bill cap was gone but that the black cap remained for use with the black jersey. I distinctly remember him saying that the blue cap will be one only cap used with those jerseys (those unveiled today that is). ColorWerx's official graphics still show the alternate cap logo.

mets.png

IF NOT, we will see the return of the mythical and infamous Blue Cap with Black Jersey combination.

The Mets wore that combination exactly once, in the 2nd game of a double header sometime in 1998. I know I'm not crazy because others on this forum remember that game. Every couple of years there is a thread about it, and a witch-hunt for photographic evidence, of which there is NONE. It was unforgettable, really, it was that garish. I kinda hope that they do it again if/when they wear black this year. :)

EDIT: Kevinmets, just saw your post, we're on the same wavelength! Do you remember that game from 98? I can still picture Carlos Baerga turning a double play in that combo.

NO I DONT REMEMBER THAT GAME! Oh man, that blows my mind. I NEED to find photos! (I'm sure the Mets went out of their way to destroy them). At least we have that tiny cellphone picture of Terry.

I'll trust Colorwerx that there IS going to be a black cap. Still, I hope to see that combo at least once.

The interesting thing about all this to me is the apparent elimination of the all-black cap in addition to the awful black-and-blue cap.

Can anyone confirm if it will remain for use with the black alt?

I remember that game. Truly painful to watch.

Archived