Uniforms that just seem out of place

bosrs1

I was looking through my closet the other day and found my alternate California Single-A Stockton Ports cap and it got me thinking about cap and jersey combos that just look "wrong" when compared to the rest of a team's uniform set. The offending cap and jersey are these:

green_p-anchor-mashup-cap_300.jpg

alternate-jersey_300.jpg

The rest of the Ports uniforms home, away, BP are all one of their four primary colors, red, blue, white, grey. This set though is of course a homage to their parent club the A's, but it ends up just being a strange out of place jersey colorwise made worse by the logo with the P'(anchor).

So what other jerseys are similarly out of place given the rest of their uniform set?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of NBA alternate jerseys (NOT throwback jerseys) look/looked completely out of place compared to the rest of the set. The gold Wizards alternate was one example. Absolutely no blue, different wordmark, different name-on-back, different collar, different shorts style, tramp stamp, and shiny fabric. I think the only thing those gold alternates had in common with the rest of the set was the number font.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

I was looking through my closet the other day and found my alternate California Single-A Stockton Ports cap and it got me thinking about cap and jersey combos that just look "wrong" when compared to the rest of a team's uniform set. The offending cap and jersey are these:

alternate-jersey_300.jpg

The rest of the Ports uniforms home, away, BP are all one of their four primary colors, red, blue, white, grey. This set though is of course a homage to their parent club the A's, but it ends up just being a strange out of place jersey colorwise made worse by the logo with the P'(anchor).

So what other jerseys are similarly out of place given the rest of their uniform set?

Did they actually wear these?

I went to a Ports game and asked a worker in the store and they told me that these have never been worn for a game.

Go A's!

Islanders28.png

/thread

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

The Mets' black jersey, retained for this season despite the elimination of black from the rest of the set, would have to qualify.

Some time in the future, civilizations will look back at the 2012 NY Mets with no historical backing behind them and wonder WTF they were on.

CCLSCsig-1.jpg

Uniform tracker - 2011 version coming soon...

alternate-jersey_300.jpg

I went to a Ports game and asked a worker in the store and they told me that these have never been worn for a game.

The year they came out with them (2007 I think it was) they did once or twice. But in the end I think even they had to admit how silly they looked. They do still sell them however even today.

The black Oilers alt from the pre-Edge days.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

alternate-jersey_300.jpg

The year they came out with them (2007 I think it was) they did once or twice. But in the end I think even they had to admit how silly they looked. They do still sell them however even today.

Thanks. I was thinking of buying that cap but wasn't sure since I like getting caps that have actually seen the field. Yeah, I see plenty of them in the store.

Go A's!

All three of the current Wild' Jerseys seem out of place

wild08.png

As it stands the team has no identity, just a grab bag of dated looking jerseys that try in vain to please everyone. Do they want to look like a 2000's expansion team (road white), a 2000's expansion team trying to play original six dressup while ignoring crucial aspects like hem stripes (home red) or do they want to brand around a painfully generic jersey that tries to combine vintage with modern (green, alt).

I don't know either. The tragedy is, they could have one of the best identities in the NHL if they made the decision to have uniformity.

The Mets' black jersey, retained for this season despite the elimination of black from the rest of the set, would have to qualify.

Some time in the future, civilizations will look back at the 2012 NY Mets with no historical backing behind them and wonder WTF they were on.

So historians from future civilizations will spend their time analyzing the cohesiveness of the uniform sets of ancient sports teams? Sweet.

Archived