2011/12 Bowl Season

BigMac12

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Making the trip to Vegas for the Maaco Bowl to...I'll never turn down a trip to Vegas!

:lol: Same.

I'm going to look into going to the Las Vegas Bowl, because who doesn't want to see Boise State kick ASU's face in... And get hammered in Vegas :lol:

I'm going as well. CCSLC Road Trip?

How come the SEC was bitching and crying in 2007 when the big debate was Michigan and Ohio State getting a rematch in the National Title Game. But now since it is LSU -vs- Alabama, the SEC isn't saying one word about it.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Y'all some lucky bastards...the only bowl I'm making it to will be the Kellogg's Raisin Bran cereal bowl on my dining room table.

That said, hope y'all have some fun attending the games. Don't know about the rest of y'all, but I love bowl season--there's always bound to be some unexpected matchups and even more unexpected results, a few hidden gems, and if nothing else, this is the one time of year most folks get to check out a program they otherwise would know nothing about.

(In fact, that's exactly how I got turned on to the Nevada Wolfpack and their patented pistol offense soime five or six years ago...I've been a pseudo-fan ever since.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

The Liberty Bowl hasn't sold out the last few years, except for when Arkansas was here. They ought to knock down the price of some of the nosebleeds to fill it up. And I've hiked to the top of the Liberty Bowl before, they are nosebleed territory. You can actually see the downtown Memphis skyline from the top of the Liberty Bowl.

Dayton, has there been much talk lately about upgrading/replacing the Liberty Bowl? I heard the UFL was considering Memphis as a team site but that the Liberty Bowl didn't even meet it's (lowly) specifications anymore. Memphis has been a great home to football, and the thought that the stadium is (allegedly) in such disrepair surprises me.

nav-logo.png

Here's a list of bowl games to be held in 2011, listed by age... sadly the list changes from year to year now; I remember a time when there were less than 10.

ROSE BOWL, Pasadena, California

ORANGE BOWL, Miami Gardens, Florida

SUGAR BOWL, New Orleans, Louisiana

SUN BOWL, El Paso, Texas

COTTON BOWL, Dallas, Texas

GATOR BOWL, Jacksonville, Florida

TANGERINE BOWL, Orlando, Florida*

LIBERTY BOWL, Memphis, Tennessee

PEACH BOWL, Atlanta, Georgia*

FIESTA BOWL, Glendale, Arizona

INDEPENDENCE BOWL, Shreveport, Louisiana

HOLIDAY BOWL, San Diego, California

HALL OF FAME BOWL, Tampa, Florida*

COPPER BOWL, Tempe, Arizona*

SUNSHINE CLASSIC, Orlando, Florida*

LAS VEGAS BOWL, Las Vegas, Nevada*

ALAMO BOWL, San Antonio, Texas

HUMANITARIAN BOWL, Boise, Idaho*

MOTOR CITY BOWL, Detroit, Michigan*

MUSIC CITY BOWL, Nashville, Tennessee

MOBILE ALABAMA BOWL, Mobile, Alabama*

NEW ORLEANS BOWL, New Orleans, Louisiana

HAWAII BOWL, Honolulu, Hawaii

QUEEN CITY BOWL, Charlotte, North Carolina*

SAN FRANCISCO BOWL, San Francisco, California*

FORT WORTH BOWL, Fort Worth, Texas*

POINSETTIA BOWL, San Diego, California

BIRMINGHAM BOWL, Birmingham, Alabama*

HOUSTON BOWL, Houston, Texas*

NEW MEXICO BOWL, Albuquerque, New Mexico

ST. PETERSBURG BOWL, St. Petersburg, Florida*

MILITARY BOWL, Washington, DC

PINSTRIPE BOWL, New York, New York

DALLAS FOOTBALL CLASSIC, Dallas, Texas*

*Sorry, but unless their sponsors start paying me to use their name, I'm going to use the game's original, non-corporate name or another I think appropriate. Yeah, I know; get off my lawn.

nav-logo.png

Here's a question, anyone going to worst bowl game of all time in San Francisco?

I was thinking about it but it looks awful. So No.

I went to the the 2006 (Florida State/UCLA) and 2008 (Cal/Miami) Emerald Bowls.

I was at the 08 game. Lot of fun too since due to the baseball park nature of Pac Bell while I was seated in the corner endzone I was also in the homeplate club seats. Which means we got access to the all you can eat buffets and bars down below the grandstand. That said, it's a shame that a game that was making a name for itself was saddled with such a crappy matchup. I mean hell I've talked to a pair of UCLA fans who both are a bit disgusted their team made a bowl game this year. It really does a disservice to the idea of earning a bowl spot and this particular bowl itself. Which is unfortunate because a similar situation is partly what killed the Bay Area's previous bowl game, the Silicon Valley Classic.

The Liberty Bowl hasn't sold out the last few years, except for when Arkansas was here. They ought to knock down the price of some of the nosebleeds to fill it up. And I've hiked to the top of the Liberty Bowl before, they are nosebleed territory. You can actually see the downtown Memphis skyline from the top of the Liberty Bowl.

Dayton, has there been much talk lately about upgrading/replacing the Liberty Bowl? I heard the UFL was considering Memphis as a team site but that the Liberty Bowl didn't even meet it's (lowly) specifications anymore. Memphis has been a great home to football, and the thought that the stadium is (allegedly) in such disrepair surprises me.

Several years back the old mayor wanted to replace the Liberty Bowl with a new stadium at the same site. Everyone said that was crazy! The city is broke and any new stadium should be on-campus was the cry. There was a big grassroots campaign for an on-campus stadium and the U of M did a feasibility study. The feasibility study said an on-campus stadium could work, but then the university decided not to even try to get the funding. No one really cared and the city upgraded the Liberty Bowl's parking lots, added a green space for tailgating, and tore down all the old buildings that were part of the old Mid-South Fair that has since moved to suburban Mississippi. Then conference reel-line-mint arm-a-geddon began, and everyone realized that Memphis would not improve conferences with a horrid football team regardless of how good the basketball team is. I still don't think Memphis builds a new stadium anytime soon, but I think the university is going to start taking football a little more seriously. The current AD is finally retiring; it's a start. I think the football team has to at least become respectable again for several years before the on-campus stadium talk resurfaces again.

To me, for Memphis football, the Liberty Bowl's biggest problem is its size. With 60K seats, everyone knows they can get a ticket, so even when the team is respectable (not the last few years), they still only draw 30-40K at most and have no scarcity of demand. The stadium itself is not in bad condition, except for the lack of ADA compliance. At least the city has gotten good use out of it, instead of only 13 years for the Pyramid Arena (which is now being gutted to become a Bass Pro Shop).

Another thought...

With only two teams (WKU and Ball St.) who were bowl-eligible but not invited to a bowl, what do you think are the odds that a bowl will have to invite a sub 500 team a bowl in the next several years? (It's apparently allowed if all the 6+/.500+ teams are taken.)

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Ask and ye shall receive...Yahoo College Bowl Pick 'Em

CCSLC Bowl Bash

Group ID: 10513

Password: cclsc

Is this confidence or straight up?

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Archived