NIKE NFL Uniforms

29texan

And that has a lot to do with money. How much money do football teams make that goes toward funding non-revenue sports at their schools? They don't have nearly as much money to work with as NFL teams, who spend all of their money on themselves. When you have the manufacturers like Nike and Adidas writing checks to help fund coaches' salaries, they get certain pull. That won't fly in the NFL because they don't need the cash infusion.

Nike/Adidas/Under Armour can say "Use these uniforms or we'll take your money and go elsewhere" but they'll get laughed out of the building if they try that with an NFL team.

hmm...nike is writing the league a bunch of huge checks for the rights to design, market, and sell merchandise of which the league then receives an agreed upon percentage...this is a very similar model to an tosu, texas, or usc deal.

if the league wanted to put up the cash as you suggest they would take everything in house but what the league has figured out is that putting their merchandise licensing out for bid requires zero cash outlay and overhead on the part of the league and owners...this is a 100% cash flow play and a really sweet deal for the league/owners.

the league is slow and traditional when it comes to change but it clearly evolves and innovates in order to make more money...there are countless examples of what the league has done in the past to break with "tradition" to make more money...what I am saying is that while in the past the league has been conservative with their approach to uniforms they have clearly broke with tradition to make more money especially via merchandising...case in point: alternates.

I can immediately think of 20 evolutionary changes the league has made to their business model not all uniformed based but breaks to tradition nonetheless

Here's one. I'm sure others can add to the list of breaking with tradition for revenue purposes.

1. Monday Night Football

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unwind, one more question: Is there a logo change involved with either of these teams getting Nike-fied?

Both are tweaked, yes. (One of them impresses the living hell of out me.)

You tease.

...and you love him for it.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Rumors on the Seahawks board is they are switching to the dark navy color as primary and wear monochrome navy pants and navy jerseys at home. Pretty much doing away with the seahawk blue color. Minor tweek to the logo. Also speculation silver helmets and reducing the lime green. I believe silver helmets would look odd with the all navy blue uniforms.

Rumors on the Seahawks board is they are switching to the dark navy color as primary and wear monochrome navy pants and navy jerseys at home. Pretty much doing away with the seahawk blue color. Minor tweek to the logo. Also speculation silver helmets and reducing the lime green. I believe silver helmets would look odd with the all navy blue uniforms.

I heard our silver helmet will be for the throwback uniform, but maybe we will have our silver helmet back fulltime. But I agree about the dark navy playing a bigger role. I've been hearing that for awhile now.

is it because seahawk blue was a custom reebok color?..I guess I am one of the few who prefers that helmet color for it's uniqueness as opposed to another silver helmet back in the league.

is it because seahawk blue was a custom reebok color?..I guess I am one of the few who prefers that helmet color for it's uniqueness as opposed to another silver helmet back in the league.

I've never been a fan of that light blue. Looks way too much like denim. Everytime they match that denim helmet with the monochrome denim jersey/pants, it reminds me of the Canadian tuxedo comment from Super Troopers. No thanks.

Unwind, can you confirm that the alternate you saw follows current NFL alternate rules--that is, that it is simply a re-colorization of the main uniform template?

Also, I really expect that the team that's going all-out into Oregon Ducks territory is Carolina. A uniform heavy on black, hints of a bright color and also some kind of metallic color (much like we have seen from Oregon lately) would make a lot of sense for the Panthers (except with light blue in place of neon yellow). I would also guess that they are the team that has a redesigned logo.

And that has a lot to do with money. How much money do football teams make that goes toward funding non-revenue sports at their schools? They don't have nearly as much money to work with as NFL teams, who spend all of their money on themselves. When you have the manufacturers like Nike and Adidas writing checks to help fund coaches' salaries, they get certain pull. That won't fly in the NFL because they don't need the cash infusion.

Nike/Adidas/Under Armour can say "Use these uniforms or we'll take your money and go elsewhere" but they'll get laughed out of the building if they try that with an NFL team.

hmm...nike is writing the league a bunch of huge checks for the rights to design, market, and sell merchandise of which the league then receives an agreed upon percentage...this is a very similar model to an tosu, texas, or usc deal.

if the league wanted to put up the cash as you suggest they would take everything in house but what the league has figured out is that putting their merchandise licensing out for bid requires zero cash outlay and overhead on the part of the league and owners...this is a 100% cash flow play and a really sweet deal for the league/owners.

the league is slow and traditional when it comes to change but it clearly evolves and innovates in order to make more money...there are countless examples of what the league has done in the past to break with "tradition" to make more money...what I am saying is that while in the past the league has been conservative with their approach to uniforms they have clearly broke with tradition to make more money especially via merchandising...case in point: alternates.

I can immediately think of 20 evolutionary changes the league has made to their business model not all uniformed based but breaks to tradition nonetheless

Here's one. I'm sure others can add to the list of breaking with tradition for revenue purposes.

1. Monday Night Football

Nike does not have the pull with the NFL that it does with its college programs. Nike cannot dictate terms to the NFL. The NFL has guidelines that you'd have to follow to get the contract. If Nike planned to blow it all up, the conservative-minded NFL would have just stuck with Reebok. Nike has no reeal power here. What would the NFL have done if Nike said, "We are going to re-imagine all the teams' identities!"? They'd have turned around and gone with a vendor who knows how to deliver what they want.

Again, some people think Nike has more power than they do. Nike couldn't dictate a reimagining to the University of Texas. There's no way they'll have their way with the NFL.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Jezus - I'll confirm that, yes. It's a recolorization.

Was I on to something with my guess to one of the teams you were talking about?

Again, don't want to specify any teams. Sorry.

Don't be sorry. Basically any team that had their current creation made by Reebok is probably going to get a brand new look within the next few years, so we can all figure out these teams.

Archived