NIKE NFL Uniforms

29texan

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, some of you are really starting to lather up in that Nike butter, huh?

Well, even though Nike makes it's share of mistakes, their "butter" is lightyears better than the others. Plus, I wouldn't consider being excited about a new era for the NFL to be "lathering up", I call it nothing more than pure excitement. Nike seems very passionate about what they want to bring to the next generation while it seems to me that Reebok did very little.

It seemed that Reebok did very little becuase the NFL wouldn't let them do anything creative. Reebok put together a great proposal that was basically a Pro Combat line for the NFL (this was before Nike Pro Combat uniforms debuted), but it got held up. The NFL is extremely stifling.

That skull would be a cool element on a Raiders jersey.

In other news... good riddance to Reebok garbage! The NFL will finally at least look good again!

How's that Kool-Aid taste?

UniWatch said yesterday that the jerseys will be the same as last year, but without the reebok logo

are they going to be the tech fits like last year or is the league just reproducing the design with one of the contract manufacturers? (e.g. Ripon)

can someone remind me the company nike is going with for production?..is their plant in the US or will this be the 1st time the on field gear is made overseas?

On-field will almost certainly have to be made in the U.S. There needs to be the opportunity for quick turnaround if a team needs more jerseys, pants, etc. in a hurry.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Wow, some of you are really starting to lather up in that Nike butter, huh?

Well, even though Nike makes it's share of mistakes, their "butter" is lightyears better than the others. Plus, I wouldn't consider being excited about a new era for the NFL to be "lathering up", I call it nothing more than pure excitement. Nike seems very passionate about what they want to bring to the next generation while it seems to me that Reebok did very little.

It seemed that Reebok did very little becuase the NFL wouldn't let them do anything creative. Reebok put together a great proposal that was basically a Pro Combat line for the NFL (this was before Nike Pro Combat uniforms debuted), but it got held up. The NFL is extremely stifling.

I'll agree with the nfl having a stifling reputation in regard to their brands but I'm also aware that these are bottom line focused businessmen so if a vendor like nike or reebok can put a convincing business case together that an annual one-off uniform would provide incremental merchandise revenue with little or risk to brand dilution the owners and league would seriously consider the opportunity.

a good salesperson would sell the financials first and present the designs second.

http://twitpic.com/8c0hct

Peanut Tillman showing the power of this fully operational battle station.

Man I hope those are a pro-bowl only thing, like white cleats at the MLB All Star Game.

I really hate this whole logos on the gloves trend, can't place why, just really rubs me up the wrong way.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

http://twitpic.com/8c0hct

Peanut Tillman showing the power of this fully operational battle station.

Say what you want, I like those.

It is also interesting that there is no Nike logo when a player "flashes" the gloves.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nike tried that and the league put the kibosh on it.

Wait a minute, won't the players get flagged for showing the logo like that anyway?

Well college players do because they can barely celebrate to begin with, but with the nfl getting more and more stingy on celebrating (see: Vernon Davis in NFC Championship Game)...who knows.

Also, heres proof that they are using last years design:

http://lockerz.com/s/177530929

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'll agree with the nfl having a stifling reputation in regard to their brands but I'm also aware that these are bottom line focused businessmen so if a vendor like nike or reebok can put a convincing business case together that an annual one-off uniform would provide incremental merchandise revenue with little or risk to brand dilution the owners and league would seriously consider the opportunity.

a good salesperson would sell the financials first and present the designs second.

I doubt that because I have no doubt that Reebok has tried (most likely in response to Nike's Pro Combat uniforms) and we know that if they did, they failed.

If the NFL was open to those kinds of things, they wouldn't have tightened the alternate uniform rules recently. Plus, there's also the fact that college has college kids to appeal to, so they can sell those shiny one-offs, which won't fly in the NFL because it has a fanbase with inherent tradition.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Huh? I thought they were talking about tightening the alternate uniform rules, but didn't end up changing anything.

I thought the restrictions did go through. Maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, the fact of the matter is that if the NFL was open to something like that to make more money, whether it was from Reebok or Nike, there would be talk of relaxing the rules, not tightening them.

As I said, I bet Reebok tried to pitch something crazy to them and was turned down. Nike doesn't have a monopoly on crazy uniform designs. See Bolton in the EPL:

bolton_wanderers_2011-2012.gif

Different sport, but you get the point.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I really don't see how Nike, UA, RBK, etc. are any different from one another. They all operate under the same basic principles, all market to the same target demographic, and all compete with each other for attention. One of those just happens to have a nicer logo than the others and cooler commercials.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Well, I think it's because Nike has willingly adopted the (pardon the phrase, but it's accurate) attention whore model in football, so they get far more negative attention. They bring it on themselves.

Well, I think it's because Nike has willingly adopted the (pardon the phrase, but it's accurate) attention whore model in football, so they get far more negative attention. They bring it on themselves.

My point is that people here are taking Nike deep into their mouths and then letting it finish on their face, while trashing Reebok, when they're really no different when it comes to NFL apparel.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

My point is that people here are taking Nike deep into their mouths and then letting it finish on their face, while trashing Reebok, when they're really no different when it comes to NFL apparel.

:lol:

Well, you're right, and you couldn't have put it any more hilariously.

I really don't see how Nike, UA, RBK, etc. are any different from one another. They all operate under the same basic principles, all market to the same target demographic, and all compete with each other for attention. One of those just happens to have a nicer logo than the others and cooler commercials.

Bingo.

Must get rid of mental image of someone fellating the swoosh....

Dammit!!

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

I doubt that because I have no doubt that Reebok has tried (most likely in response to Nike's Pro Combat uniforms) and we know that if they did, they failed.

If the NFL was open to those kinds of things, they wouldn't have tightened the alternate uniform rules recently. Plus, there's also the fact that college has college kids to appeal to, so they can sell those shiny one-offs, which won't fly in the NFL because it has a fanbase with inherent tradition.

As I stated before, the Reebok pitch was before Pro Combat. Your second paragraph is dead-on, though. The seventeen year old hotshot recruit isn't the target demo in the NFL. You get drafted and you 'get in where you can fit in' so to speak. You're not choosing a team based on their uniforms. You're playing for the team that wants you the most. In addition, the NFL fanbase is older and more conservative, which is why the NFL rightly shot down a Pro Combat-esque program from Reebok.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

...so if a vendor like nike or reebok can put a convincing business case together that an annual one-off uniform would provide incremental merchandise revenue with little or no risk to brand dilution...

This is pretty much a complete paradox of impossibility, which is why I don't think you'll ever see one-offs in the NFL. Some teams might end up wearing crazy Nike designs like Denver did, but don't expect one-offs.

Archived